Quantcast
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:58 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:00 pm 

Hi
I am a teacher at a small, private high school (Imhoff Waldorf School) and am presently running a school hiking club in our area (south peninsula). I have recognised the need for a climbing club for the boys especially and was wondering whether anyone out there would like to take this on as a project. It would need to either be an afternoon or a Saturday morning. I have at least 3 13 -14 year old boys who would be keen. I could do it but I lack formal qualification and equipment. If anyone wants to donate equipment or make a reasonable offer then perhaps I could take it on. We have such fun climbing around our area (fish hoek) and yet no one seems to be offering anything for training these young ones (that i have heard about anyway).
Please let me know if you think of something. Perhaps i just need to train myself up.
matthew - 0764027498

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:18 pm 

Hi Matthew,

www.ventureforth.co.za
www.highadventure.co.za
http://www.sancf.org/

Could offer training for yourself, recommendations of appropriately qualified individuals, and other school climbing activities.

Ant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:11 pm 

Hi Matt

There is an organisation called Western Cape Climbing that deals specifically with youth competition and coaching. We typically coach the schools lacking a wall out of City Rock. Please email us: info@westerncapeclimbing.co.za or me on ganswarren@gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:31 am 

Thank You Ant and Warren
Checking out those recommendations now.
The problem with City Rock is that it is about 20km from anyone "this side of the mountain" (Ou Kaapse Weg).
I am sure there is some climbing fraternity this side, even some with time on their hands.
At least six decent sport crags in our area and plenty bouldering opportunity yet plenty kids around saying there is nothing to do.
Why?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:52 am 

One of the tricky aspects is liability, hence Ant and Warren's suggestion that you either go to a guide or to an established gym

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:46 am 

Yes, Nic, liability is a bugger.
A few questions:
1. You speak of guides (Nic) - will I find them through those websites mentioned by Ant and Warren - ventureforth, climbing fed, western cape climbing, high adventure? Any idea of standard rates?
2. How can I lessen my liability - what are the standard training certificates that a guide/instructor would need? Would the ones offered by cityrock or ventureforth be sufficient? (for small toprope, easy sport, small abseils, very basic trad.)
3. How hard is it to set up a wall or artificial boulder? thinking about at the school (which is basically a house) there is a blank wall of about 6m wide x 4m high. Are grips/holds expensive to buy and install?

My Dad, fantastic man, used to take us climbing around Kommetjie with a hand made harness, some fishing rope he found on the beach and a meager array of construction karabiners and some crusty expired things that mountain mail order eventually bought from us for their museum. Those were inspiring moments. Thank god we lived.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:57 am 

1) The guides are available from the websites Ant gave. I have no idea about rates, but I'm sure the websites have rates/contact details.

2) Again, the guides would be better sources of info that I am but as far as I know you'd need: Abseil supervisor, Top rope supervisor, Single Pitch supervisor plus probably several others at least.

There should be more info here: http://www.samdt.co.za/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:06 pm 

Give Ross Suter at High Adventure a call ross@highadventure.co.za Very experienced guide who already takes school groups.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:27 pm 

Done, Xmod, emailed Ross today. Hopefully a reply comes soon.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:29 am 

The liability one is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be - just have the parents present and get them to sign an indemnity and then just be competent!

What we don't want in this country is to become like the Americans (I know Capetonians already are... :jocolor: ) and allow legalism to set in with such intensity that it paralyses us! The minute we start worrying about whether our climbing party has insurence against us getting hurt and sueing him we have last it.

So what I am saying is get a Top Rope instructor qualification or better, but don't see this as some legalistic requirement. Anyone can climb and have fun and the normal laws of our country apply - did you behave in a reasonable manner? The issue with kids is that if their legal guardian has authorised you and you are competent what do you have to fear? Climbing in this country has never been about holding set unit qualifications and though I am not against them, the truth is that it is always the same with climbing - you undertake it at your own risk - and in the case of kids at the authorisation of the legal guardians.

So don't let fear prevent you from setting up a club but DO ensure that you know what you are doing and that it is safe.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:39 pm 

Nice sentiments Old Smelly but unfortunately in the real world things aren't that simple. If you take a group climbing in the Park (TMNP) you definitely need not only the necessary DEAT qualifications but an operators permit for operating a commercial venture within park limits. Having proper insurance is probably also a very good idea (possibly even a prerequisite). This is why the only way forward is for clubs to use properly qualified people. Any of the guides in the links above will be able to help. Indemnity wont help you squat if someone is seriously injured or dies and the lawyers think they can prove negligence / culpability. The parents may be very nice and may even not want to sue, but in some cases they may not have a choice (think massive hospital bills).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:31 pm 

What Xmod said is correct. If you want to climb on TMNP land then you need a permit (see all the posts on activity permits). If you want to take a group of people climbing then you need to be a registered guide (To be a registered guide you need the CATHSETTA unit standards for climbing and registered with DEAT) and then organise the permits through TMNP. Obviously if all the people in the group have a activity permit then you don't need to be a guide, unless you are accepting remuneration.

Unfortunately this nowadays, is the way everything works = over legalised. :shock: