Quantcast
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:53 pm 

I would like to offer to take a local (not a foreigner) on a trad climb on Table Mountain. The person would probably be an intermediate sport climber who has done some easy trad climbing (sorta 16 - 19) and is keen to step up to the next level of kinda 20 - 22 and finding it tricky or daunting. It is not necessary to have any trad gear of one's own, but note that I am not offering teaching or guiding - for that there are top instructors like Ant Hall, Ross Suter and Dave Vallet. The person must know their way round the whole trad climbing thing and belay me safely. If it happens and it feels right it might be something I would do once in a while. I have no idiotic prejudices or hang-ups regarding religion, race, gender, sexual preference, language etc, only asshole-ness.
Small print disclaimer....there is no remuneration involved and although I have lots of experience the person will be experienced enough to know that things can go wrong, and for that they must assume all responsibility.
It would be very surprising if anyone would be interested in taking up this offer, but should it happen just respond here.
Over and out
Hilton Davies

Last edited by Hilton on Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Paying it forward
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:03 pm 

Hi Hilton
I would love to take up your offer if it is still available :)

I have been a avid rock climber for a couple of years now, and have about half a trad rack

Sending you a private message quickly
Inus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:07 pm 

Hello Hilton
Would be amazing to share a rope with you and seeing that you are offering I am there like a bear, that is if you don't get oversubscribed with applicants
Cheers
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:47 am 

Hi Hilton,

I think you may have more responses than you thought!

Sent you a pm just in case you are keen for more than one such climb.

Thanks!

Ryan Sweke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:16 pm 

The interest feels good..! Hopefully the outcome will also.

I'm going to take Inus out and then we'll see. Brian, Ryan and the private messengers', we'll talk later...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:30 am 

So I was fortunate enough to go climbing with Hilton yesterday.

We had a great day out climbing on some TM classics that definitely would have been more intimidating were it not for Hilton's calm and all round fantastic attitude towards climbing!

I know that Hilton is keen to take more people out, so if you have been starting out on trad and battling to step it up a notch I would definitely recommend taking Hilton's invitation when it comes (even if it comes at 11pm the night before!).

Thanks again Hilton!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:28 pm 

I was fortunate to go out with you Ryan! It was a fantastic day.. thank you new friend!

---------------------------------------------
So we first did Atlantic to get calibrated, and Ryan styled the lead of the crux. Ryan's eyes widened when I said Roulette was next and he led the traverse with heart racing but pulled it off beautifully. No issues seconding the overhanging crack.

This outing was exactly what I had hoped for. A guy who has climbed Bombay, Jacob's, Cableway and Exposure and was keen to step it up into the 20 - 22 range. Ryan is good to go for all the classics like Touch and Go, Bust Up etc. Some people should hit him up for partnering.

So a lot of people sent PMs. Folks this is what I was talking about. Please note that I am not interested in being involved in the grades below 20. I'll leave that to others. But I will do this again....it was great.

out,
H