Quantcast
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:44 am 

I started thinking of going to the states for some bouldering and the most predominant questions are these??
=- cost of camping,eating (cheap) per month?
permits? if any is needed!

If there is someone that has been on a trip to the states and can give me more or less an idea, I would be very grateful!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:12 am 

Depends where you go. Prices on camping range from free to $10 per person per night, maybe a bit more. Indian Creek is free. RRG is $2. Rumney $7 if you stay across the street on the farm and bathe in the river, or $10 if you want a place with showers. (You really should go because Rumney is the schist. :jocolor: ) JTree $10 not including showers. etc.

Food costs depend on how you want to eat. I'm pretty sure you can survive on beans and rice in Indian Creek for a very long period of time because a lot of people have. Can get ground beef for $4 lb or so and make a lot of burgers out of that. Depends also on where (liquor taxes vary greatly across states) and how much you drink. 12 pack of PBR in NH is $7.55 last I was there, but they have almost no taxes so that's about as cheap as it's going to get on beer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:55 am 

If you are doing a long trip you should think about getting an annual national parks pass

http://usparks.about.com/od/usnationalp ... passes.htm

Otherwise there aren't and costs or permits that I know of, although some "state parks" (as opposed to national parks) may charge a couple of dollars.

Camping wise mikej has it, campsites can vary from a clearing (esp the BLM campsites) to having picnic areas, hot showers etc.

Eating is up to you, I know people who have dirtbagged it, living off a bag of pancake mix and peanut butter someone left beind for a couple of weeks! Fast food is generally cheap too, but you get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:52 am 

Quite right! Once you are allowed in you can literally climb/ travel on a shoestring budget.

Just remember Greyhounds are dodgy -so look scary and don't take your little sister...

Seriously cheap food is most likely one of the best parts of the USA, and cheap camping. Getting around without your own wheels is the difficult bit. The other aspect is that climbers are not as friendly...it's true...except for the foreigners...

Easy food - pop up tarts, Graham crackers and cereal - no cooker needed. Brownies are available everywhere but things like Energy bars not so much. Travelling light economically is difficult as everything is sold supersize (24 cans cheaper than 6 - actually you can't find 6 :) ). Bagels are stodgy so one tires of them quickly...

Have fun, take no valuables and dirtbag it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:37 am 

Old Smelly wrote:
The other aspect is that climbers are not as friendly...it's true...except for the foreigners...

People are always trying to say that it's their group who is really great, but watch out for that other group. It's total nonsense most of the time. Some of the kindest, funniest, and most generous people I've met on climbing trips are American and Canadian. Now both of those groups will probably try to tell you it's actually the Europeans who are the bad ones, while the Europeans will warn you about the Americans....

And you can get around without a car. You just need a lot more time to be flexible about how and when you move from place to place. If you're trying to do this in a couple of weeks that won't work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:42 am 

Likewise every climber I've spoken to on trips to US or Canada have always been really friendly and encouraging (sometimes a bit too vocally encouraging for my liking :) ) and many I've met I still keep in touch with. The ones I haven't spoken with are probably not very friendly though!

And beware riding the 'hound, you never know who you'll sit next to.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... alien.html

If you are flexible you can try get lifts with other climbers, campsite notice boards are your friend for this - and the internet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:14 pm 

Shot for all the input yous have given me! Made me aware of a couple of things....ya so going dirtbag is ma the way its going to be!!
Im meeting up with some friends that side, hopefully they have wheels! will make it alot easier then!