Location advice

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Overide

Location advice

Post by Overide » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:51 pm

Good afternoon,

This might seem like a strange topic but I am hoping I can get some cool location ideas from the more experienced climbers. In the coming weeks I plan to propose to my girlfriend and I am wanting to incorporate climbing into it. So my thought was find a nice route lead it, set up a top rope so my girlfriend can climb and leave the ring on a ledge or something to that extent by the anchors.

We are still new to the outdoors scene and I am only comfortable leading up to an 18 atm. So I guess if anyone has any route suggestions in the Cape Town area that I could look into using.

Regards,
Richard

AndrewV

Re: Location advice

Post by AndrewV » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:00 pm

Be sure to anchor the ring!!!!! That would be quite an expensive oops....

Overide

Post by Overide » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:02 pm

AndrewV wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:00 pm
Be sure to anchor the ring!!!!! That would be quite an expensive oops....
Definitely will, was thinking of pretending to forget a quickdraw which the ring would be on, if I cannot find a ledge to use

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:10 pm

The hanging stance on Jacobs would be epic :thumleft:
Happy climbing
Nic

ChadRossouw

Post by ChadRossouw » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:44 pm

Higgovale quarry. Lots of easy routes and shady. Quite pretty there too if you want a celebratory picnic after.

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:19 am

Not Higgo, you don't want to be getting harassed by the rangers while trying to propose.

Borrow a portaledge and hang it off on the Fountain Ledge side of TM.

A good friend proposed halfway along the Right Face-Arrow Face traverse on the big block.
Happy climbing
Nic

Wes

Post by Wes » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:03 am

Firstly, do you sport climb, trad climb or both?

Overide

Post by Overide » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:39 am

Wes wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:03 am
Firstly, do you sport climb, trad climb or both?
Shucks sorry, I thought I had mentioned that in my original post. We are only into Sport Climbing

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:59 am

if you guys are lank into climbing it could be memorable and fun!
having done this 18-months ago (sans the climbing bit) i do want to caution you though: it may be scary and emotional and wonderful at the same time. gotto keep the focus and safety considerations top of mind.
also, jumping up and down, kissing and all sorts of other movements may ensue :wink: so think about a safe place that will allow for some movement.

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:17 pm

Lower Silvermine is your spot :thumleft:
http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/Silvermi ... rmine_Crag

Climb 'Chicks Dig it Lank' to the top (grade very easy!)
Tie everybody in and then do the deed (take note of Mok's advice above). There are abseil bolts at the top (set back on the ledge) of the route. FYI: I have fears about (untied) persons intending to abseil landing on me all the time whilst at this crag (... that is my warning to you).

There is also a dam in which to swim afterwards :hapban
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Overide

Post by Overide » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:01 pm

Justin wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:17 pm
Lower Silvermine is your spot :thumleft:
http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/Silvermi ... rmine_Crag

Climb 'Chicks Dig it Lank' to the top (grade very easy!)
Tie everybody in and then do the deed (take note of Mok's advice above). There are abseil bolts at the top (set back on the ledge) of the route. FYI: I have fears about (untied) persons intending to abseil landing on me all the time whilst at this crag (... that is my warning to you).

There is also a dam in which to swim afterwards :hapban
WRT Silvermine is it safe enough for the two of us to head out there alone? Was the group of 9 that got attacked not nearby the crag

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:24 pm

Overide wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:01 pm

WRT Silvermine is it safe enough for the two of us to head out there alone? Was the group of 9 that got attacked not nearby the crag
Yup, that happened in another area of Silvermine.
My opinion is that you will be fine. However that is just an opinion and I offer no guarantees :o
SNAFU
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:36 pm

Just hope your lass or anyone she knows doesn't read this...

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:58 pm

Sands of Time in Paarl is an 18 and has a stunning view. She might regret saying yes when she sees the last pitch of grade 18 just off vertical slab though
Happy climbing
Nic

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:26 pm

Nic Le Maitre wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:58 pm
Sands of Time in Paarl is an 18 and has a stunning view. She might regret saying yes when she sees the last pitch of grade 18 just off vertical slab though
Whilst I seldom disagree with Nic... I'll say that you will probably regret doing this route and that your engagement will be memorable for all the wrong reasons!
Although given enough things going wrong, this may allow you to meet Nic personally on the evening... sun gone down, gentle breeze, pissed off fiance and the glow of emergency vehicle lights from the (not too far away) car park :wink:

The down scramble (for Sands of Time) might just do the job - the view from the top is great (with nice places to stay in the area).
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

tygereye

Post by tygereye » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:56 am

Not Silvermine. Not Higgovale. There's nothing romantic there.

Why not Cogmans in Montagu? Check out Magical Mystery Tour. Perhaps you can skip the last pitch. But it does end on a very nice ledge!
Or
Flintstone at Hellfire
Or
Fifth Element at Kleinmond.

Good luck!

Overide

Post by Overide » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:39 am

tygereye wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:56 am
Not Silvermine. Not Higgovale. There's nothing romantic there.

Why not Cogmans in Montagu? Check out Magical Mystery Tour. Perhaps you can skip the last pitch. But it does end on a very nice ledge!
Or
Flintstone at Hellfire
Or
Fifth Element at Kleinmond.

Good luck!
Magical Mystery Tour looks flippen awesome, however we have never done multi-pitch climbing or set up an abseil :eye: seems like my limited skills is going to make this a tough thing to do hehe

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:22 am

Justin wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:26 pm
Nic Le Maitre wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:58 pm
Whilst I seldom disagree with Nic... I'll say that you will probably regret doing this route and that your engagement will be memorable for all the wrong reasons!
Although given enough things going wrong, this may allow you to meet Nic personally on the evening... sun gone down, gentle breeze, pissed off fiance and the glow of emergency vehicle lights from the (not too far away) car park :wink:

The down scramble (for Sands of Time) might just do the job - the view from the top is great (with nice places to stay in the area).
Justin, I'm hurt. Sands of Time is a brilliant route that I would recommend to anyone looking for a test piece 18. Especially the first pitch :lol:

Seriously though, Justin is correct. If 18 is your climbing ceiling at the moment, Sands is not for you, but the top of Gordon Rock would be a good place. You could climb one of the easy slab routes (Belly Button is a 15) or the scramble on the LHS of the Belly Button Wall to the top.
Happy climbing
Nic

shorti

Post by shorti » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:06 am

tygereye wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:56 am
Flintstone at Hellfire
And then, you can sleep in the Pit of Despair :wink:

NicoVenster

Post by NicoVenster » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:41 am

My first suggestion would be legoland in montagu (as part of a weekend away), but considering the building, it might not be perfect. Check out the steeple, also in the area, I think it has less building going on and a nice fluffy base for jumping around after the proposal?

That said Kleinmond might also offer a great opportunity as mentioned above, STUNNING scenery and a wide range of easy straightforward climbs. Driving back along the coast you can sit and check out the sunset or have a drinksky in gordons bay.

tygereye

Post by tygereye » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:15 am

There's also ANY route at Truitjieskraal. There are lovely rock formations to top out on with spectacular views!

...Or Houdenbek.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 am

Some recent relevant experience (from a peak and not a sports climb though).
-Make sure she would appreciate it and that it is special for both - not just a random idea that sounds cool.
-Make sure there is space to bend the knee and to take some photo's, not some cramped top rope anchor.
-Make sure it is a quiet, safe crag, not everyone likes a public engagement, or to be robbed.
-Make sure the darn thing fits (her fingers may swell temporarily if it is a long climb :D), and have somewhere to pack the ring away safely before abseiling. I never really grasped the Mohs' scale until we were scrambling down Sneeuberg in a storm and the precious metal was surrounded by sandstone everywhere. "Engraved by nature".

I would really, really recommend the top of magical mystery tour on Cogmans buttress. Private, spacious ledge with an amazing view for photo's, adrenalin will be flowing from the climb (it's not that bad- top pitch just a bit weird), the weather there is mostly good and you can have a weekend in the klein karoo. Why don't you ask someone to teach you multipitch tricks and postpone the engagement a bit to make it really worthwhile?
Otherwise, kleinmond or the top of gordons rock (belly button climbs) sound good.
There is nothing more beautiful than a well dressed alpine butterfly.

Overide

Post by Overide » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:52 am

Guardian wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 am
Some recent relevant experience (from a peak and not a sports climb though).
-Make sure she would appreciate it and that it is special for both - not just a random idea that sounds cool.
-Make sure there is space to bend the knee and to take some photo's, not some cramped top rope anchor.
-Make sure it is a quiet, safe crag, not everyone likes a public engagement, or to be robbed.
-Make sure the darn thing fits (her fingers may swell temporarily if it is a long climb :D), and have somewhere to pack the ring away safely before abseiling. I never really grasped the Mohs' scale until we were scrambling down Sneeuberg in a storm and the precious metal was surrounded by sandstone everywhere. "Engraved by nature".

I would really, really recommend the top of magical mystery tour on Cogmans buttress. Private, spacious ledge with an amazing view for photo's, adrenalin will be flowing from the climb (it's not that bad- top pitch just a bit weird), the weather there is mostly good and you can have a weekend in the klein karoo. Why don't you ask someone to teach you multipitch tricks and postpone the engagement a bit to make it really worthwhile?
Otherwise, kleinmond or the top of gordons rock (belly button climbs) sound good.
She has always said hinted that when I am planning to propose I should either include climbing (we both enjoy, I prefer bouldering, she sport so we would go with sport) or her horse. I am not a fan of involving said horse. Would not be a fun time scratching through sand to find the ring that might fall off.

The climbing thing was just a thought as it was something we both thoroughly enjoy and it is still something we could do with just the two of us there.

Another thought I had was to find two easy sport routes that has anchors fairly close to each other and use the "let us practice cleaning thing" she is not a fan of cleaning. So I normally lead and clean then she just top ropes. (She leads very well in the gym). She has lead a few times at Legoland but I climbed first and left the quickdraws up, climbed again and cleaned after she was done.

Marshall1

Post by Marshall1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:41 pm

Hot springs are always a winner. Citusdal Baths are super.

Overide

Post by Overide » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:35 am

So unfortunately 3 weeks ago my girlfriend twisted her ankle while we were trail running. We attempted to climb last night but she has troubles stepping on her toes, so no climbing for a while still it would seem.

I have changed up my thoughts to going to some romantic picnic somewhere and was just wondering if anyone has in secret spots they would be willing to share.

I see there is a cave underneath the main lookout point on Chapmans Peak Drive that is supposed to be pretty spectacular at sun set, I am just worried about safety issues in that area. (Has anyone heard of any issues around there?)

If your willing to share some spots that would be amazing.

Thanks in advanced

Overide

Post by Overide » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:36 am

Friend at work that is an avid surfer also suggested Llandudno. He says the sunset is pretty spectacular and he has never heard of any foul play happening there

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:01 am

lots of good choices......
many private spots on top of TM if you venture a little south of the cable car and cafe areas
Granite slabs around Beta beach
Kirstenbosch stunning evenings
Private beaches in Cape Point reserve
The point itself also spectacular but unlikely to have privacy

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:50 am

Llandudno is a great place for sunset, you could always get on top of one of the big boulders from the easy side. Might not get much in the way of solitude though, get there early if you want somewhere to park

Overide

Post by Overide » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:44 am

Thank you everyone for the wonderful suggestions. Llandudno worked like a charm for us :hapban

Chris F

Post by Chris F » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:59 pm

Congratulations. Live long and prosper.