Visiting ZA / TMNP Saftey?

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
NateWPDX

Visiting ZA / TMNP Saftey?

Post by NateWPDX » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:50 am

Hi South Africa,

My friend and I are visiting Cape Town in early May and are keen on some moderate climbs around the area. Looking to do this May 5,6 and 7. Seems like climbing around there is a dangerous proposition.

I was wondering if there’s an area that might be a safer bet? And where we’d absolutely want to avoid?

Also if anyone is free and keen to show us around for one of those days we’d be happy to show our appreciation the way we do in The States: trade catches and a case of beer.

Thanks so much,

Nate

rasmus

Re: Visiting ZA / TMNP Saftey?

Post by rasmus » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:16 am

Hi Nate

Climbing here is no more dangerous than everywhere else, except for a couple of not that great sport crags (Peer's Cave especially, where your car might get broken in to).

What do you want to climb? Style and grades? For easy to moderate sport climbing in Cape Town ,Silvermine is your best bet. For harder stuff, The Mine or Hellfire are cool. If you have time to leave town for a couple of days Truitjeskraal in the Cederberg is a special place you won't forget with some cool climbing too.

For trad, Table Mountain is right there in the middle of the city and great climbs of all grades are available.

And if you want to be safe while climbing, check your knot and wear a helmet :pirat:

NateWPDX

Re: Visiting ZA / TMNP Saftey?b

Post by NateWPDX » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:24 am

Thanks for the info. I had my eye on Jacob’s Ladder but maybe or something in the 15-18 range.

Silvermine is definitely on my radar. Lugging a full trad rack of double pieces is just not doable, so some stuff that only requires singlrs of every piece would be fantastic.

Again, thanks so much, will do my homework :o

rasmus

Re: Visiting ZA / TMNP Saftey?

Post by rasmus » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:11 am

You’ll have plenty of stuff to climb with a standard rack on Table Mountain. I recommend getting the guidebook Cape Peninsula select by Tony Lourens.

Some awesome classics in that range is Jacob’s Ladder, Africa Gullet, Bombay Duck, Atlantic Crag. But there are many and you’ll have a great time!