Grootkloof route guide

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
VaughnC

Grootkloof route guide

Post by VaughnC » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi all

I've lost my paper Grootkloof (Magaliesberg) route guide :-(
Anyone got a pdf or similar for me please?

Thanks
Vaughn

Gobsmacked

Re: Grootkloof route guide

Post by Gobsmacked » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi

The MCSA JHB Office will have a paper one.

Due to the fact that Trad on MCSA land is historically done by MCSA members the route guides are actually not in public domain (and probably needn't be -as members can get the RD's easily). The actual RD's have been updated and there is a possibility that they could in future be available in electronic form to members.

I hope this is a sufficiently good explanation. As you are a member just drop by the JHB Office.

VaughnC

Post by VaughnC » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:05 pm

Hi Grant

Thanks for the reply.

As you say its easy enough to get hard copy route guides from the office.
I'll do so.

Cheers
Vaughn

emile

Post by emile » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:19 am

Gobsmacked wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:39 pm
Due to the fact that Trad on MCSA land is historically done by MCSA members the route guides are actually not in public domain
I find this a bit hard to swallow. Luckily I've downloaded a few guides from the MCSA JHB website some time ago when "free" was still free. Each and every one of them has the text "© It is the intention of the authors and editors of this guide that it is published free on the Internet for the benefit of climbers."

I noticed a while back that the guides were no longer available on the website (the links were still there but broken) and made inquiries to the MCSA JHB section about this but got the runaround. I see the broken links are gone now.
Free publisher.PNG
Free publisher.PNG (8.86 KiB) Viewed 861 times
Free Guides.PNG
Free Guides.PNG (23.93 KiB) Viewed 861 times

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:02 am

Gobsmacked wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:39 pm
Hi

The MCSA JHB Office will have a paper one.

Due to the fact that Trad on MCSA land is historically done by MCSA members the route guides are actually not in public domain (and probably needn't be -as members can get the RD's easily). The actual RD's have been updated and there is a possibility that they could in future be available in electronic form to members.

I hope this is a sufficiently good explanation. As you are a member just drop by the JHB Office.
Sorry, but I'm with Emile here. The RDs for plenty of other MCSA owned areas are open, and freely available, why is this any different? You either have to be a member or go with members to the kloofs anyway, so it's not like putting the RDs online will affect access. If I'm going to the kloofs, but coming from elsewhere, I might not be able to stop at the office to collect during their hours.
Happy climbing
Nic

Gobsmacked

Post by Gobsmacked » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:51 am

Sorry guys - no argument here - they aren't available online and they aren't actually in the public domain. Maybe they will be available in future -its purely an IT thing at the moment. In the meantime we will have to use the paper version - which Vaughn has said he is ok with -so the original inquiry is answered.

Maybe if anyone else has anything to contribute they can offer their services to the MCSA JHB Section - I am sure they will be keen to take you up on your offer.

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:32 pm

That line quoted by Emile is pretty explicit about wanting them to be in the public domain, I'd go so far as to say you are going against the explicit wishes of the author.

As for a place to host them, just upload the pdf to the wiki. Or mail it to me and I will.
Happy climbing
Nic

Gobsmacked

Post by Gobsmacked » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:40 am

See above (read it):

Sorry guys - no argument here - they aren't available online and they aren't actually in the public domain. Maybe they will be available in future -its purely an IT thing at the moment. In the meantime we will have to use the paper version - which Vaughn has said he is ok with -so the original inquiry is answered.

Maybe if anyone else has anything to contribute they can offer their services to the MCSA JHB Section - I am sure they will be keen to take you up on your offer.