It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: curious Dutch climber!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:52 pm 

Hi guys,

just registered, all the way from Holland (Europe). I'm planning to come to SA for about 10 months from august/september 2007. Not primarily for climbing, but I do want to continue my sport while in SA. I was wondering how things are organized in SA, considering safety etc. How well are climbing routes maintained, do I need to be a member of some kind of organisation? How expensive is climbing equipment, do you have PETZL/black diamond etc? Just some questions. Could anyone give me some info?

btw, excuse my English, mijn Nederlands is beter. Veel Zuid Afrikanen begrijpen Nederlands toch wel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:43 pm 

Naa...no black diamond petzles, but there are lions in the streets. So its not that safe. You can join the MCSA, but mostly the lions case us from the crags. Its very third world.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:34 am 

Marshall wrote:
Naa...no black diamond petzles, but there are lions in the streets. So its not that safe. You can join the MCSA, but mostly the lions case us from the crags. Its very third world.

ah, I'm sorry to hurt your feelings. I understand you're the lion in this little story?

Because we don't have any rocks in Holland, I was curious about safety etc. On a French/German/Italian/[insert country] forum I would ask the same questions. You may think all Europeans see SA as a underdeveloped third world country, I don't. Why don't you try to react in a positive way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am 

I spent two months in Netherlands this year and I was very shocked to not find a single boulder in the whole country that worth climbing, crazy!
Sport climbing in SA is pretty organised and you'll find it easy to access a safe climbing environment. Good place to start is to buy the local guidebook...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:06 am 

Hey Casper
I have to appologise for Marshall. I think all the hot South African sun is getting to he's head. Besides I think Marshall seems to like to stir things a bit on the forum, makes it exciting I suppose.

Anyway we have most major brands of equipment. Black Diamond, Petzl, North Face, Wild Country recently CCH and Metolius and even more.
Check out www.mountainmailorder.co.za to get pricing.

In terms of safety, well as in any mountaineering safety is YOUR concern and no one can assure your safety. The MCSA (Mountain Club of South Africa) is our main mountaineering body and is affiliated with the UIAA. (We recently got a member on the Search & Rescue commission). http://mcsa.org.za

Once you decide to go to a crag speak to local guys as for safety. Some crags maybe dangerous due to a crime element and some pre-cautions are necessary. In terms of bolts, well that is a heated debate (see elsewhere on forums). Depending on climbs and areas bolts are pretty good. (In Cape they have had a few failures but they have a commity which is trying to replace suspect bolts) once again use your own discretion. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:09 am 

Don't apologise for me thanks Gonzo. Maybe the sun reached your head, the links in your reply are on the front page of this site or under links.

Casper was asking very stupid questions. I'm sure that he got similar responses on the \"French/German/Italian/[insert country] forum\". On the opening page of climbing.co.za , the Petzl logo/link stands for all to see. As well as adverts/links to MMO & Black Diamond. So ask a stupid question & expect a stupid reply. \"How well are climbing routes maintained\" Well there is a link to the anchor replacment fund on the opening page.

\"I'm sorry to hurt your feelings\"...Oh please!

Welcome to SA. So where are you going to base yourself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:15 am 

Here! here! Marshall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:55 pm 

Thanks for your reply Gonzo.

Marshall wrote:
On the opening page of climbing.co.za , the Petzl logo/link stands for all to see. As well as adverts/links to MMO & Black Diamond.

You're right about that, maybe I should had search a bit more. (ok, that's not proper English I think).

Quote:

So ask a stupid question & expect a stupid reply. "How well are climbing routes maintained" Well there is a link to the anchor replacment fund on the opening page.

That's right, but it only shows me which crags are bad. I was curious about the overall status of bolts etc., but apparently that's different everywhere?
Quote:

"I'm sorry to hurt your feelings"...Oh please!

Welcome to SA. So where are you going to base yourself?

Little sarcasm, just like your lions.

Don't know where I'm going to be based, they're going to tell me next month. Probably Jo-burg or Capetown. Will finish my current study in june and are coming over for a year volunteer work, as well as exploring your beautiful country. After that I'm going to study again back in Holland.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:57 pm 

scottnoy wrote:
I spent two months in Netherlands this year and I was very shocked to not find a single boulder in the whole country that worth climbing, crazy!
Sport climbing in SA is pretty organised and you'll find it easy to access a safe climbing environment. Good place to start is to buy the local guidebook...

Where in Holland did you stay?

Okay, sounds good. Is climbing a popular sport in SA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:39 pm 

Don't worry Casper...SA is really cool for climbing. Lots to do. Some crime, but not as bad as it seems. We are up there with most modern countrys, that is all the gear. I believe that gear in SA is cheaper on average than most places. There have been bolt failors in Cape Town area, but majority of routes are reasonably good. There is a drive to replace old/suspect bolts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:51 am 

Just be careful of the trad climbers
Crazy bunch :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:56 pm 

Marshall wrote:
Don't worry Casper...SA is really cool for climbing. Lots to do. Some crime, but not as bad as it seems. We are up there with most modern countrys, that is all the gear. I believe that gear in SA is cheaper on average than most places. There have been bolt failors in Cape Town area, but majority of routes are reasonably good. There is a drive to replace old/suspect bolts.

What they told me is that crime in Jo-burg is quite bad, but elsewhere it's not that bad. I don't really care, you guys seem to manage it, and I'm not that rich. I mostly climb indoor, in one of the bigger climbing gyms in Holland (35 mtr). I have to travel 450 miles south before rock appears, so I have little experience with rock climbing. Hopefully I can find a nice climbing mate, if not I'll stick to bouldering :) Won't have much spare time anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:43 pm 

casper dude most climbers in SA are nice guys and I'm sure somebodywill take you climbing. just post a note when you get here. get ready for some rock.

Post subject: HAAI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:18 pm 

Dag Casper,

Je ontkomt de NL'rs niet. Ja IDD ik ben een van die dutchie's die hier nu zo'n drie jaar woont. Ben ook begonnen met vrijwilligerswerk..... En nu woon en werk ik hier in JHB. Je moet zeker je klimspullen brengen. Kan hier geweldig klimmen. Ben er nooit geweest maar kaapstad heeft veel te bieden qua klimmen. JHB heeft zelf niet erg veel, paar klifjes en bolder tuintjes maar als je een paar uur rijd, wat hier normaal is heb je geweldig klimmen, zowel trad als sport. Ik vond plastic wandjes altijd al niet zoveel aan maar nu is het helemaal zwaar klote. Doe soms nog wel eens wat training op plastic maar dat is met het oog op rots klimmen. Materiaal is redelijk geprijsd vergeleken met NL maar is duidelijk duurder dan de klim landen in europa, met name Tsjechie e.d. is erg goedkoop maar goed. Als je iemand nodig ben voor klimmen e.d. geef een schreeuw of mischien wil je nou juist geen hollanders zien wanneer je hier bent. En wat criminelen betreft die zijn hier zeker, maar wanneer je na de mensen luisterd zal het wel meevallen. Kan het niet 100% ontkomen soms is het gewoon verkeerde tijd verkeerde plek.

Groet

W

Post subject: Re: HAAI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:51 pm 

willemeulen wrote:
Dag Casper,

Je ontkomt de NL'rs niet. Ja IDD ik ben een van die dutchie's die hier nu zo'n drie jaar woont. Ben ook begonnen met vrijwilligerswerk..... En nu woon en werk ik hier in JHB. Je moet zeker je klimspullen brengen. Kan hier geweldig klimmen. Ben er nooit geweest maar kaapstad heeft veel te bieden qua klimmen. JHB heeft zelf niet erg veel, paar klifjes en bolder tuintjes maar als je een paar uur rijd, wat hier normaal is heb je geweldig klimmen, zowel trad als sport. Ik vond plastic wandjes altijd al niet zoveel aan maar nu is het helemaal zwaar klote. Doe soms nog wel eens wat training op plastic maar dat is met het oog op rots klimmen. Materiaal is redelijk geprijsd vergeleken met NL maar is duidelijk duurder dan de klim landen in europa, met name Tsjechie e.d. is erg goedkoop maar goed. Als je iemand nodig ben voor klimmen e.d. geef een schreeuw of mischien wil je nou juist geen hollanders zien wanneer je hier bent. En wat criminelen betreft die zijn hier zeker, maar wanneer je na de mensen luisterd zal het wel meevallen. Kan het niet 100% ontkomen soms is het gewoon verkeerde tijd verkeerde plek.

Groet

W

Haha geweldig, ik zit met een glimlach achter de pc. Op dit moment zit ik nog bij lange na niet op mijn top, dus plastic vermaakt me gelukkig nog prima. Hang momenteel ongeveer 7 uur per week in het wand, dus ik zal behoorlijk wat ontwenningsverschijnselen vertonen wanneer ik misschien maar eens in de twee weken tijd zal hebben. Aan klimmaten in ieder geval niet te kort als ik dit hoor :)

Do you guys understand Dutch? Or do you only speak English?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:22 pm 

Hehehe Hey Casper
We have 11 official languages here in SA.
I'm English speaking and have a basic knowledge of Afrikaans.
I still managed to undrestand 80% of what was written. Dutch and Afrikaans are really similar.

Like Willemeulen said I think the Cape probably has much more to offer and in closer vicinity. If you climb Trad however (which it doesn't seem like it) you will find hundreds of really good routes in the magalisberg. (Around an hour away from JHB).

If you are in Hogs Back area you could probably as Marshall for help. I heard he is a nice guy ....when he isn't taking the piss out of people for asking stupid questions :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:11 pm 

What do you guys mean with trad climbing? traditional climbing?

We don't have a Dutch word for it I think.

Post subject: trad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:25 am 

Trad climbing oftewel traditioneel klimmen. Daar gebruik je inplaats van de gebruikelijke bolts/bouten/ringen/haken gebruik van je eigen \"protection\". Hexes, nuts, cams etec. Je zou het ook schoon klimmen kunnen noemen. Je laat niks achter en je moet uit een beschrijving (soms vijftig jaar oud) opmaken waar de route zich bevind en al klimmende je met een klimgidsje de weg zien te vinden. Ik vind het geweldig, is veel meer dan klimmen alleen. Het zgn. sportklimmen is voor de \"luie\" klimmers, maar in de meeste gevallen zijn de crags/kliffen gemakkelijker te belopen en je bent veel minder materiaal nodig. Ik heb alles voor sportklimmen maar ben langzaam maar zeker bezig om het materiaal voor trad climbing te verzamelen (aanschaf is niet goedkoop en twee touwen). Je klimt met twee touwen om wrijving/drag te voorkomen, je klips lopen niet altijd in een rechte lijn. Bij trad klim je de natuurlijke lijnen, veelal \"crags\", schoorstenen en \"open books\" waar je de bescherming kan plaatsen. Een ander ding van trad climbing is dat het mentaal veel zwaarder is, het speelt met je hersens. Niet alle \"placements\" zijn bomber zoals we dat hier noemen en dat klimt minder vrij, maar alles bij elkaar is het een geweldige uitdaging. Veel klimmers klimmen op zijn minst drie tot twee graden lager wat zij op sportklimmen doen.

Zelf klim ik ook op en af. Soms staat het stil voor maanden. Maar sinds ik hier ben klim ik elk jaar veel in augustus september i.v.m. de rock rally in boven. Jaarlijks festival voor klimmers in september. Maar moet zeggen klim beter op rots dan plastic, komt denk in omdat ik wat groter dan gemiddelt ben en de plastic routes door voor mij dwergen gemaakt worden. Genoeg info.

Doei
w

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:51 am 

ah willemeulen, drop the dutch act dude. Yes, we ALL think you're so cool 'cos you can speak dutch, okay.
This forum is ENGLISH. We all write, read and speak ENGLISH. How unfair of you to exclude those of us who cannot understand your comment. You could be saying anything you like and those of us non-dutchmen cannot contribute, nor comment.

Drop it. Nobody cares, seriously. Just get on with communication. If you wanna make our new friend Casper feel all warm and fuzzy then PM each other, and when he's here in ZA, you can get a room together okay!

Last edited by guest on Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:53 am 

Ok. Het zal niet voor mij weggelegd zijn gezien het vele en dure materiaal dat er voor nodig is. Ik ben 170/75 dus in jouw ogen een dwerg, maar kan prima uit de voeten in de hal en met gewoon rotsklimmen. bedankt voor alle info!

--

Willemeulen said some things about trad climbing, and I replied that it won't be something for me to do, due to equipment costs and [probably] higher risk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:56 am 

Casper, 99% of us are ENGLISH speaking. If you'd like to have a conversation with your new b**chum Willemeulen then PM him, otherwise please address the other 99% of us in ENGLISH. How would you like it if we answered your questions in Zulu?

Post subject: sorry guest
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:04 am 

hey dude,

Just gave casper some basic info, stuff you guys all know. Didn't think you guys wanted to read all those basics. You most probably know they don't have any rock over there. But next time when you have any personal comments show your identity!

Cheers

Willem
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:18 am 

Willem,

Bazowudlela esitokisini uKhisimusi abasolwa ngokubulala isikhulu seHhovisi likaNdunankulu, uMnuz Thulasizwe Mngomezulu, ngemuva kokuthi iNkantolo yeMantshi eMgungundlovu, inqabe ukubanikeza ibheyili ngoLwesihlanu.

How does it feel?

Sorry, I'd translate but I \"Didn't think you guys wanted to read all those basics\".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:26 am 

wow,

He knows some basic words in another language. Bru your message is clear. And stop hiding your id and show your name.

Niabonga

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:32 am 

Where you been guest? Dare I say we almost missed you :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:49 am 

guest wrote:
Casper, 99% of us are ENGLISH speaking. If you'd like to have a conversation with your new b**chum Willemeulen then PM him, otherwise please address the other 99% of us in ENGLISH. How would you like it if we answered your questions in Zulu?

''guest'',

I've edited my last message. As you may have noticed, I've asked all of my questions in English.

Post subject: f u
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:49 am 

I do come to the site at times to read about the latest TM crime etc, but I'll not be regularly posting ever again Justin.

As you'll notice, I have deleted every single post I ever made on the forum. Not too long ago you were editing my posts and deleting my comments as you saw fit. You don't see the wrong in this? I do.

I only jumped in now because it is extremely rude and selfish when people talk in their own language to exclude others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:06 am 

Guest...sadly the forum is a bit boring with out you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:03 pm 

Too bad.
For the record I've only removed one of your postings (and thrown in some %*&# characters to hide strong language). Here is a link to it - http://climb.co.za/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1259

When you've finished here, why not carry on deleting all your posts and then you can delete yourself too!
So touchy you are! Not sure what made your ticker go off like this!?
Bye-bye

Last edited by Justin on Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:38 pm 

jeez guest just relax dude! your last comments were totally uncalled for. are we trying to show the world that SA climbers are the biggest bunch of arseholes on the planet?