It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:20 pm 

By the way, this topic is not about climbing any more. It's about drugs and big bad ugly Europe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:24 pm 

Yeah...pretty damn right! and about the flat landscapes of Holland with some real fine climbing walls . At least you so darn close to places like Gorges du Loup !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:33 pm 

and places like chamonix and fontainebleau (bouldering heaven). Unfortunately, I don't have the money/time to go there! Let me comfort you, Dutch students aren't rich at all..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:08 pm 

Ah but we have Rocklands(the real bouldering heaven) and Durban Poison(possibly the best natural chronic) :lol:
Your Euro's will go much further here than in Frog Land

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:14 pm 

African Climber wrote:
Your Euro's will go much further here than in Frog Land

:D I thought that was a Dutch Expression. Kikkerlandje.

Post subject: Re: montecivino
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:30 pm 

willemeulen wrote:
Yep,
But the outdoors climbing is damn good for artificial stuff. even went climbing at night with the spot lights on and hard winds, almost thought i was in the alps. Second time there was rain again like first time and climbed under overhanging part.
Cheers
Willem

Climbing by night is very cool. Amazing view over the area from the top (for Dutch standards). No outside climbing today. Very heavy storm (gale force 10/11). I wanted to go by train this morning but decided to go by car, the train I would have taken has been destroyed because the tracks were gone :roll: . 80% of the trains and stations are closed/cancelled. Already several deads have been reported. No damage at my place, except for the bird house, which probably is 100 miles away by now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:27 am 

jeanpant wrote:
Oh look everyone it is 'the wet panty' AKA Guest posting absolute bullsh*t again. Shut your big ugly trap you little cry baby.

It's OK Jeanpant! You're such a nice person :wink: Relax, breathe...

Casper, that's a great looking wall. Amazing actually. How do you deal with the winter climbing situation as Holland has some very horrible weather come wintertime...or did I just go in a bad year?

On the subject of contraband though, I was under the impression that most people in Holland actually frowned upon Marijuana use and their main reason for having it legal is the tourist attraction? There are not many places in the world where one can freely purchase the drug, perhaps only Copenhagen comes to mind.

What about your so called 'Red Light District'? This too must be a huge tourist drawcard. Do many Dutch locals hang out there as well? I just can't imagine being so stoned and horny and then scaling a 35 meter tower!!! :roll: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:06 am 

Very simple guest.
Those red light district are in every country in the world. The only difference is that we do it openly. You must know that a prostitute is the oldest known profession in the world. And about the drug thing. Hardly smoked anything, smoked more of the stuff in SA than back home in NL. And about the drug thing. People just like to do things which are illegal. If somebody tells you; \"you are not allowed to climb this rock\". Every time you pass there you'll have a look and wander if it's a good climb or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:54 am 

guest wrote:

Casper, that's a great looking wall. Amazing actually. How do you deal with the winter climbing situation as Holland has some very horrible weather come wintertime...or did I just go in a bad year?

In the winter the outside wall is closed, it is only possible to climb inside. They are open from 10am 'till 22.30. It's quite a large wall so it's no problem with the number of people etc. It's the same like this in other climbing walls. I guess it's only climbing inside in the winter.

Quote:

On the subject of contraband though, I was under the impression that most people in Holland actually frowned upon Marijuana use and their main reason for having it legal is the tourist attraction? There are not many places in the world where one can freely purchase the drug, perhaps only Copenhagen comes to mind.

That's the idiot thing, marijuana is not legal. We only tolerate it. That's why I came with the peanutbutter story. It's illegal to farm marijuana, but you're allowed to sell and use small portions of it. Thats Dutch policy. I think we have to ban the marijuana use, because of ethical and health reasons. Many other people think we should legalize it. Dutch government is afraid of big steps that will lead to uproars.
Quote:
What about your so called 'Red Light District'? This too must be a huge tourist drawcard. Do many Dutch locals hang out there as well? I just can't imagine being so stoned and horny and then scaling a 35 meter tower!!! :roll: :D

That's the most known area, but all of the big city's have area's like this. Most of the time crack addicted hores just stand along the road waiting 'till someone picks them up by car. Local government has even made special parking grounds with walls between the parking-lots, so one doesn't see the ass of his neighbor.
I think mainly Dutch guys visit these areas, but I don't actually know for sure because there's not much news coming out of these areas. We're all a bit ashamed of our prostitutes so we keep it as our little secret.
The last years more and more city's decide to bann the prostitutes, which I think is very good. Unfortunately, half of the country thinks we have to bann prostitutes, the other half thinks those poor little girls don't have any income left!
To be honest, me and many others don't have anything to do with drugs or prostitutes, it's just for some sick dudes without a wife, or for some 19 yr old junks without any education. And half of the world (guys like you) don't really see the problems, but only think Holland is the drugscapital of the world!! Wauw!![/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:10 am 

You know those drug and and prostitute things happen every where. By sort of allowing it it's more open and if you're lucky controlable. I know lot's of people think it's not happening in their country but that's bullshit. In south africa it's also happening a lot. Both drugs and prostitution, but you won't know if they don't tell. On all main routes for the trucks there are prostitutes along the road. The truckdrivers will tell you some of those lady's are not hitch hiking at all. And on the construction sites its the same. On the RDP housing projects as soon as the first houses are up prostitutes start doing their bussiness right on sight. And the same with the \"Grass\" or dagga as they call it here. Go to the country side, their groing the fucking stuff every where, aldough it's not as strong as the dutch stuff. Here they smoke it like it is and dont' ad any tabacco.

Cheers
w

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:16 am 

Quote:
In the winter the outside wall is closed, it is only possible to climb inside

Not too sure of the average temperature in winter, but surely they could rig that great wall with a few shower heads and turn it into a hunk of ice for some ice-climbing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:17 am 

Can you climb a crack whore and what gear would you need?
I have come across some whore cracks that got the better of me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:54 am 

African Climber wrote:
Quote:
In the winter the outside wall is closed, it is only possible to climb inside

Not too sure of the average temperature in winter, but surely they could rig that great wall with a few shower heads and turn it into a hunk of ice for some ice-climbing?

Average winter temperature is too high to make an ice wall. Besides that, the construction probably isn't strong enough to hold very heavy ice (920 kg/m³). For example, it is winter since october but it hasn't been freezing at all. This is the most silly winter we've had since ages. Last year we had 30 cm snow in november, now we've had 2 gale force 9/10/11 storms in a week. This is ridiculous, we never have storms.

We do have this:

A 12 mtr. indoor ice climbing wall in The Hague, the biggest of Europe :)

Edit: that's no subsidized shit. You have to pay €27 euro's for an hour, thats 4 times as much as I pay for a day card for my home climbing wall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:20 pm 

Wow, Casper! Those artificial wall's looks great! And your ice climbing - one of my wildest dreams - will have to visit your country sometime. But, like previously said, real rock's the place to be.

Here in South Africa we have all kinds of rock and most climbers would be glad to take you out for a good day/week-end climb. Have you visited www.mountainmailorder.co.za - there are some literature to have a look at and all the necessary gear you'll be needing to climb.

I am from the Free State (in the middle, between Johannesburg and Cape Town) and if you pass this area, be sure to notify me as we can maybe organize some climbing in Harrismith or something.

Have you got your travel plans allready?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:08 pm 

Jana wrote:
Wow, Casper! Those artificial wall's looks great! And your ice climbing - one of my wildest dreams - will have to visit your country sometime. But, like previously said, real rock's the place to be.

Here in South Africa we have all kinds of rock and most climbers would be glad to take you out for a good day/week-end climb. Have you visited www.mountainmailorder.co.za - there are some literature to have a look at and all the necessary gear you'll be needing to climb.

I am from the Free State (in the middle, between Johannesburg and Cape Town) and if you pass this area, be sure to notify me as we can maybe organize some climbing in Harrismith or something.

Have you got your travel plans allready?

Hi Jana, thanks for the info. Its good to hear that most, if not all of you don't mind taking me for a climb. I don't have all my plans ready yet, I'm looking for the cheapest flight, there's so much difference between different airways. Besides that I need to contact the SA organisation, who are gonna find me a place to stay. I found out you South Africans don't really stress out to get things arranged far before time, something Dutchies do far more often (like booking a flight 4 months before). Well, I'll keep you updated the coming months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:32 am 

Yes, but I think it's a problem with all people, not just South Africans - they tend to leave things till the very end but that's just their personalities. Good luck with finding a flight to suit your pocket and with all your arrangements.

Keep on climbing your big walls and come ready for some good, friendly climbing!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:53 am 

Jana wrote:
Yes, but I think it's a problem with all people, not just South Africans - they tend to leave things till the very end but that's just their personalities. Good luck with finding a flight to suit your pocket and with all your arrangements.

Keep on climbing your big walls and come ready for some good, friendly climbing!

I don't see it as a problem, it's good to get out of the stressful environment called 'school' and 'work'. You guys tend to be more laid back, something I like overall.

I'm gonna climb this afternoon, thats an advantage of having walls a 20 minutes ride away, you can go for just a few hours to train. Gonna pick some nice long technique and power routes.

Looking forward to it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:09 am 

Enjoy!!!