Quantcast
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:25 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:42 pm 

I'm going to hogsback over x-mas and want to check out the climbing around there. I've looked for topos on the internet but there isn't anything useful. The climbing the Amatoles website is a bit vague. Is there a guidebook perhaps?

Also is there any potential for harder routes, or even better, bouldering in there area? What is the policy regarding bolting (i don't own a trad rack). Or perhaps are there any existing open projects?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:54 am 

The Hogs guide is still in progress, on my computer. There are +-230 routes. Most are trad. Rock is cracked & lends itself too trad. About 30 are bolted. Feel free to bolt if it is not tradable. Hardest bolted route is 27.

There are some boulders that have been played on to the L of the walk up on Hog 1. There is a huge boulder a few km down the road to Keiskamahoek. These were not rated as marvelous. But there are way more boulders(atleast 40) on the slopes & below Hog 2 & 3.

Please send me any info if you open anything...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:40 pm 

Dunno if you've seen this :

http://www.climbingtheamatoles.co.za/

I preferred the climbing and scenery at fort fordyce to that at the Hog, its well worth checking out if you have time.

Keith James is a good person to speak to. He knows the area quite well. I think his details are on the website.

Enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:51 pm 

yeah i saw the website, that's the problem, there's not very much on it...

anyone know how to get to the walk-in trail from the town?
are there any new routes?
bolting policy for un-tradable lines?
guides for the other hogs?
etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:07 am 

When you get onto Hog 1, those web pages are very difficult to use.

There is huge potential for trad. Sectors which are hundreds of m long with very few routes. Feel free to bolt. Normal standard apply. Most of the Hog does not lend itself to bolted lines. There are no known records of routes on Hog 3. I have 13 recorded on Hog 2...so far.

There was a guide posted on KZN MCSA site. But it is quite out of date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:31 pm 

Sorry, dude, didnt read your post properly. I remembered directions and photo topos etc and thought they were in that site. There was an article in SA mountain some time ago about hogsback, which may or may not have better beta. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:31 pm 

Getting to the crags from town is really obvious, take the dirt road roughly in the middle of the village, about 200m? uphill from the backpackers, toward the obvious mountain. The road is pretty adventurous (usual eastern cape). The road goes up the right flank of the hill, at a junction on a high shoulder turn left.

From here things get gnarly, follow the road below the crag until you get to a huge steep hill. If you are worried about your car you may want to park at the bottom, but its a v.long walk from there. We took a hi-ace right up the hill so it is do-able, walk up the road first and remove any large rocks also check which line you are going to take up the hill. Members of your party can stay at the difficult spots to point you in the right direction when driving up. There is a path going straight up to the crag from the top of this hill (long and steep), but what is way better is to drive further on to the left shoulder where there is an overgrown road going off right just before the steep monster downhill, where we camped.(DO NOT GO DOWN THIS HILL!! unless you drive a 4x4) From this camp there is an easy and pleasant walk up the left shoulder to traverse in below the crags.

There is also climbing down and right from the right shoulder junction, at the waterfall area, again do not drive down this hill (you will be sorry!), walk from the junction. 4x4s love driving these roads so try not to block the road when you park. Its been a long time since I was there hope my memory isnt too fuzzy! :wink: Check out the amazing scooped wall on the hill North of the town, visible from the T junction at the top the hill leading through and out of town.

Fort Fordyce is also very rustig (also with gnarly roads) and well worth checking out for a foresty vibe in a very secluded location - good times!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:41 pm 

The SAmontain mag had a good article, otherwise pay a visit to the MCSA and ask to look through their library. The old journals are indexed but are still quite a mission to troll through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:19 pm 

Justin has posted some general info in the new topos section. I plan to ready the main sectors on Hog 1 for posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:22 pm 

thanks for the info everyone...

is getting to hog 2 and 3 fairly straightforward or would i need directions? how do you know which hog is which?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:06 pm 

Hog 2 & 3 can be acsessed from Hog 1 on foot with out permission, but it is a fair walk. If you drive in, you can get in reasonably close, but you need a permit. We are concerned about acsess as there is still lots of climbing we want to do on Hog 2 & 3. The acsess point is completely diffrent & there is no camping allowed. You would need a GPS at night or in mist.

Post subject: Hogsback
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:30 am 

If you use the website info to get to the \"fame and fashion\" sector (basically underneath the trig beacon) it is easy to navigate around the rest of the bolted routes on Hog 1. If you're just going to clip bolts, jus t go for it - it's quite easy to suss which routes are going to be harder than the average (which is between 19 and 21).

As Derek suggested the bouldering between hogs 2 and 3 is worth checking out.

At \"Away with the fairies\" campsite, two of the staff are climbers - Nancy and Andre - consult them for other info.

As others have suggested, Fort Fordyce is an impeccable venue - with many more bolted routes than the website suggests - alas no guide though - sniff around, or ask the locals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:58 pm 

Just got home from Hogsback. It rained most of the time I was there so I didn't climb too much.

I checked out the bouldering on the slopes of Hog 2 and 3, it wasn't really that good and getting there was a real mission.

Good news though! I did find REALLY good bouldering right on the edge of town. The local EC limbers should definately check it out, it will be awesome. I put up a bit of a topo on www.cutloose.ca.tt/topos if anyone is interested.

The rock is perfect (just needs cleaning of moss etc) and the setting is rad, in a dark thick forest, perfect for hot days.

and the best part is the 15-20min walkin, all downhill!

I reckon it is definately the future of bouldering in the EC...

oh, the topos from kieth's site where easy enough to use on Hog 1, but the directions for getting to the madonna and child sector really need some improvement. They are vague and make no sense...