Quantcast
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Tribute to Todd Skinner
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:05 pm 

Todd Skinner is a legend. He wasn’t the best or strongest climber, but to the very end he was a highly passionate climber who lived his dream. He was always pushing the standards whether it was making the first ascent of a new 5.14a in Wild Iris or freeing the difficult Salathe wall on El Capitan. Such passion overcame severe discomfort and challenges which he encountered whilst ascending remote big walls all over the world from Yosemite to Greenland to Pakistan. These big wall free ascents were years ahead of the current “fashion” to free the many great walls in areas such as Yosemite. Todd was not content to climb at his home crags and repeatedly travelled to far away lands such as Thailand, Mexico, Mali etc etc to discover new challenges and friends. His determination to free routes is evident with his ascent of Trango Tower in Pakistan where the temptation to pull on some gear in order to reach the summit was overcome, which resulted in one more free ascent of a very remote big wall. Of course Todd’s desire to discover new places brought him to South Africa where his biggest contribution has been to spark the development of the now world famous Rocklands. After seeing Rocklands on his 1st trip to SA, he returned with big guns Fred Nicole, Ellie Cheveux and Scott Milton who quickly put Rocklands on the map. For such an accomplished climber, Todd was very approachable and had time for anyone who wanted to chat about some new route, area or how to optimise training. The manner in which Todd passed away is indicative of his desire and drive to free new climbs. He passed away at the age of 47 whilst trying to free the Yosemite aid route “Jesus Built My Hotrod” It is very saddening to lose a climbing activist such as Todd Skinner and our thoughts are with his family and friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:27 pm 

The news of Todd's death made me feel sick. He was possibly the most inspirational person that I've met. With him it seemed that anything was possible.

My deepest sympathies to his wife Amy and their kids Hanna, Sarah and Jake. I hope that they draw strength from the awesome community in Lander.

I'm writing a tribute article for SA Mountain and I'd like to include comments for anyone who knew him. You can either post your comments here or mail them to me directly gholwill@oldmutual.com

Post subject: Loss of a Legend
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:08 am 

Climbing.com's tribute to Todd Skinner.

http://climbing.com/print/features/toddskinner/