Quantcast
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:56 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: La Sportiva Cobras
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:38 pm 

I tried on a pair of Cobra's recently and they fit me feet awesome! Really interested now in getting a pair (never had slippers before), but there seems to be issues about them stretching a lot. One review suggested buying them 3 full sizes down! I dont know anyone who uses them personally, anyone out there can give me some advice? Can the heel pull out easy on heelhooking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:39 pm 

Beware of going too small. I made that mistake once. Try one size below your usual shoe size. They are not lined so they tend to stretch a bit more laterally, but length-wise, they are bound by the rubber so this will only slightly stretch. These days with shoe designs one doesnt need to go super small and tight anymore. If they hurt the hell out of your feet in the shop then they are too small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:04 am 

Take a look at 'The fine art of buying shoes' on the products page of the madrock.co.za website

It covers most FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:05 am 

I only wear slippers. The Cobras are good, but the body of the shoe tends to split badly after a while. My climbing partner experianced the same defect. I prefer the Saltic Mamba. (Better rubber, sensitive, comfortable, price)They are totaly awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:03 pm 

Up until recently I climbed in La Sportiva Cobras and Saltic Sepias. The Cobras I used when I needed to \"front-point\" in/on tiny pockets and edges on really steep stuff, and the Sepias I used when I needed to do technical heel-hooking as the heel is very well padded with plenty of rubber covering the whole heel. However, the Cobras are lousy for heel hooking, and the Sepias are crap at front-pointing (very blunt & stubby toe). This has proved limiting for many hard boulder problems where I have needed both functions, and I've often had to wear a Cobra on one foot and a Sepia on the other as a compromise!

However, comprimising is over! I have recently switched to climbing in the new Evolv range of shoes - specifically the \"Talon\" and \"Rave\" models (thanks to City Rock who sponsored me with these shoes for testing and feedback purposes). The Talon is a lace-up shoe (I prefer a lace-up as it gives more support for toe-hooking), and in this single shoe I now get what I wanted from both the Cobra and the Sepia combined. It has a very pronounced pointed toe for the tiny pockets/edges found in very steep overhanging routes/boulders, AND it also has an awesome heel which is as well-padded and extensive as the Sepia. And the cherry on top (in my opinion) is the rubber is better than both the Cobra and the Sepia.

The Rave is a slipper which I have been using as a warm-up and an all-purpose shoe. It is very comfortable, and performs like the Cobra although as mentioned above the Evolv rubber feels better to me.

Size wise, for the first time in my 24 yrs of climbing I was not able to squeeze my feet into my usual 2-sizes-smaller-than-normal-shoe size. This is because Evolv shoes are made of synthetic leather, and are sized in accordance with street shoe size. To give you some comparisons, here are the sizes of my current shoes which all fit me the same:
Cobra: 5 (UK)
Sepia: 5 (UK)
Talon: 7 (UK)

FYI, if you're looking for a Cobra-equivalent, the Evolve \"Agro\" is the slipper version of the \"Talon\". Although I haven't climbed in this shoe, it looks brilliant !

Check out http://www.evolvesports.com/products.htm for more details. If you want to lay your hands these shoes, City Rock (www.cityrock.co.za) have just brought in new stock.

Hope this helps !

Cheers, Evan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:57 am 

If you'd like some advice that isn't a corporate shill, buy Cobra's 2-3 sizes smaller than your street shoe size. I wear size 11.5-12 (UK) shoes and buy Cobra's in UK size 9 (Euro 43). Keep in mind that they stretch a lot - what you can barely squeeze your foot into at the shop, will be a tight but comfortable shoe a few weeks later.

Secondly, the heel doesn't pop off when heel hooking, no matter what anyone has said. I've had 4(?) pairs of Cobras, climbed in them a huge amount (over 5 years), and this has never happened. Nor have they split, bar one pair which was resoled twice before this happened.

Compared to FiveTens (which are the other shoes I climb in, but not as regularly), the construction quality is substantially better and I can't feel a difference in the rubber.

The only problem that I've had with them is that, when I'm in a motivated phase and climb a lot, I go through a pair in 4 - 6 months. But I don't think that this would be different to any other climbing shoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:02 am 

That's right Dom ! Sounds more correct .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:47 am 

Thanks for the advice all, it will definitely help me alot. It's interesting to see the different views on particular shoes, ex where some people will have problems with the construction/build quality of a certain shoe, others will be raving about how well it lasts, etc. I hate buying new shoes, I'm currently climbing with a pair of resoled Evolv Kaos and only now that my big toes are sticking out the front are they climbing at their best! Will give them a state funeral the day I let them go for good. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:35 pm 

Obviously these are just diffrent experiances & opinions. None being more correct than the other. We have 2 pairs of split cobras to show for our experiance.

\"corporate shill\"? I don't work for a shoe company, but I'm very happy with Saltic at the moment. This may change of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:10 pm 

I wasn't talking about you as a corporate shill Marshall, just team madrock and team evolv.

I'm also not saying that Cobras don't split, or that they're don't slip off your heel when heelhooking, just that, in my extensive experience of climbing in them (at least 4 pairs over 5 years), I have never had a pair split (at least not prematurely), or had a heel slip off when heel hooking. But I feel that Cobras are amongst the best constructed shoes I've owned, every single pair.

And I'm heavy on shoes - I weigh almost 90kgs. I climb a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:14 pm 

Dom, I take offence to being referred to as a corporate shill ! What I wrote was based on my personal experiences and true belief in these shoes. I thought you would know me well enough to know that I would not stoop to punting a product simply because I happen to have been sponsored a couple of pairs of shoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:45 pm 

Dom,
Not that it will matter to you, but I've just lost all respect dude...

If you read it properly you will find that, 'The finer art of buying shoes' is actually very effective in helping inexperienced people select the correct size and type of shoe for what they need, no matter what the make of shoe. Of course they are going to use Madrock shoes as examples?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:35 am 

Dricus... do you have a pair of Cobras?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:18 am 

No Derek . Not when I can get Boreal shoes from overseas *chuckle* . Although I wish I had a chance to experience the quality of these outstanding shoes *loud cough* .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:28 am 

So Dricus, if you don't own a pair of cobras, why write \"That's right Dom ! Sounds more correct .\" How would you know? I'm just trying to understand.

\"*chuckle*...*loud cough*\" what ever. Just say what you mean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:34 am 

I personally prefer my Diesel Lace-ups....but the Levi Slippers are pretty comfy (plus I got a free Louis Vuitton chalk bag with them!!) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:38 am 

Derek , I don't buy La Sportiva , don't own any and hope not to buy any either . But...for your query , I don't think I have to own a pair to know something about them when I know people that climb with these , can read reviews about them in magazines and yes , people do talk and rant on about their shoes .
Hope yer understand mate !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:13 pm 

Dbez- I dont think its possible to give an opinion on any particular shoe untill you have physically felt them perform. Stats and reviews based on individual shoes are largely opinions and marketing tools used to sell the products, plus I never knew it was a competition to see who knew the most about shoes- really pretty sad!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:01 am 

Bear in mind that Cobras are pretty foot-specific, as they are asymmetrical and built for a long big toe (sorry Guy). The quality of construction of La Sportiva has been consistently good over the last few years, pity they never lost the affinity for teflon-coated rubber. Nonetheless, I find cobras great shoes (not quite as comfortable as the predecessors called Vipers) but very practical for a quick in-and-out.
If I really want to have the edge on friction, I use my Anastazi lace-ups - although an ancient design, one of the best shoes I have ever used in the last 15 years of climbing. Pity about the construction and the smell though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:21 am 

For my big feet I prefer my Boreal Zephyr's (fifth resole) and no ! I don't climb only with Boreal . I was just being a smartass and see who's climbing with fake climbing shoes .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:04 pm 

each shoe is different for everybody, my foot is not yours! After looking for good shoes for about a year i finaly found them. My feet are not standard, long narrow and flat, something between duckfeet and a canoe. Anyway, apparently my feet are more symetrical shaped and thats why I couldn't find any more technical shoe which fitted nicely. Tried evolv kaos, size 12,5 still didnt fit. Tried evolv demorto and size 10 fits awsome. nice and snug tight. And they climb as hell, for me that means. I could expect other people to complain they don't have a nice fit.

Cheers

W