It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:44 pm 

What happened to the Hellfire guide, wasn't it suppose to be in the publishing phase ages ago?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:28 pm 

Hi Stu, the guide is doing very well thanks! =) We are in the process of selling advertising space and are over half way to break even. A last minute change in layout to accomodate sponsor's wishes has lead to a small delay in schedule but we are hoping to have it on the shelves late March/early April. Watch this space! I will definitely keep you all informed. We are going to have one helluva party to launch the thing so I look forward to seeing you there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:11 am 

Cool man, good to hear. Thought it might have gone down the \"rocklands movie\" road...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:55 am 

Pretty curious...how many routes are there at Hellfire exactly ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:29 am 

Thought the guide was in \"Western Cape Rock\"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:57 am 

Nah man, the complete Hellfire. Including the wicked trad lines and ALL the sport routes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:29 am 

Shot ! That makes more sense . Remember seeing some old Ross Suter classics somewhere .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:01 pm 

Sounds awesome. Heard there was a mountain club hut in the area...any truth to this? Or any worth while place to over-night close to the crag?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:56 pm 

There are 137 routes at the crag not counting toprope problems, so lots to do and still more virgin lines waiting (yes we left some for the rest of you all! :-) )

The DuToits mountain club hut is there for members and guests to stay at. Unfortunately the campsite at the Lodge was closed down many years ago although bungalows can be rented which may be viable for a large group. But quite honestly the place is less than an hour from CT and definitely viable for day visits.

If you go this time of year I strongly recommend getting up to the crags at crack of dawn, climbing until midday when the sun hits the rock and then blowing climbing off for the day and going swimming in one of the awesome pools along the river. The place cooks on summer afternoons especially if there is little wind, its not called Hellfire for nothing!

PS Dont forget you need a permit from Cape Nature to climb and to swim (one usually books for a hike on the river you want to swim in [although clandestine cool off dips have been known to happen!])
PPS And I almost forgot! Best of all there is a pub at the Lodge for frostees after a hard days work at the crag, what more could one want!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:32 am 

Thanks Grigri, sounds awesome. Think I'll wait for the weather to start cooling down a little... Best time? April/May?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:18 pm 

Any news Grigri?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:13 am 

March and April have come and gone.
Has a Hellfire Guide been published?
If so: Where can I get one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:54 pm 

Hi all, Apologies to those who have been holding their breath (breathe!).
There are many factors that have lead to the latest delay, the book itself is finished and we are at present trying to gather the advertising material from our sponsors, without which we cannot publish. This will take some time!

Previously mentioned dates were all provisional and although we hoped to have the book out already this has not happened. Now settling in after moving house (although still crippled without a phone or i-net) I am once again fully behind this project and am pushing it out asap. I'll keep y'all informed, look forward to a launch party a bit later this year!