It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:22 am 

Hey guys, recently moved back into the city, close to the base of TM. Wondering if any of you guys do any bouldering on and around TM?

Im sure there must be some cool area's, been scoping them out whenever I drive close to the mountain.

Any help?

Thanks
Murray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:50 am 

There are some great problems on table mountain, go up to table mtn road, drive past the cable car station, and the car park on the left, at the 2nd or third sharp bend to the left, you'll see a path that starts just behind the stormwater drain on your right, follow it up, you should walk past the lights, follow the path and you'll soon see about 4 boulders, they all have pretty cool problems.
Then if you drive further along table mtn rd youll come to an unpaved parking area on your left, with a boom l;ading to a jeep track, walk down the jeep track for about 10 - 15 mins, keep to your left, and youll come across a large boulder on your right, pretty much on the road, theres another good boulder across the road.
And finally deer park has some cool boulders, just follow the jeep track up the mountain, and you'll come across them
enjoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:02 pm 

Great stuff. Thanks for all that info, im gonna start with the Deer park problems later today since its just around the corner from me. Are the main problems fairly \"chalked up\"? Meaning will I be able to spot the problems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:34 pm 

Do you happen to have an AK 47 in your closet? There have been alot of muggings at Deer Park, so take care and try to go in a group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:20 pm 

given the lack of rain recently, there should be some chalk, but most of the lines are obvious, stu's right about security, just take shoes and a chalkbag, no wallet or cell phone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:29 pm 

Thanks guys, will check it out, with only the bare essentials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:04 pm 

Also some good traverse problems along the contour path. walk up the path from the cable station. at the contour path go right and past the huge tree you'll find some pretty mean, all round good traverses. super good training with a great view and one of the best place to hang out after work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:35 am 

Hi Guest. I wont be surprised if you don't want to answer me here, but if we can just quickly be serious about the topic of climbing. You say' take the path up at the cable car' Are tou refering to the path that is the start of 'India Venster' ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:11 am 

That's the one, spons-bob jeanpant.

In agreement with guest there...it's a very cool spot to hang out (either off your fingers on some good rock, and on your arlie on a flat rock, watching the day's end.)

Up the path past the lower cable station, hit a right at the first band of rock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:48 am 

Latest muggings on TM - http://www.climb.co.za/news_detail.asp?newsid=551

TM has seemingly overtaken Boven with regards to crime :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:22 am 

Most of the muggings seems to be on the Kirstenbosch side. If you walk up the cable car path for more than 10min you should be out of most danger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:34 am 

Dont forget about the tourist who got stabbed near McClears Beacon - http://www.climb.co.za/news_detail.asp?newsid=529

This also happened outside the general climbing area, but I reckon its only a matter of time... ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:17 pm 

What a horrible mess this has become. One of South Africa's largest tourist attractions has become a crime hot spot. The worst thing is that there are more and more tourists being attacked and robbed. This is absolutely tarnishing our image as a tourist destination.

Not much help either, when you have the president publicly stating that crime is not out of control. Is it realy worth living in this country anymore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:52 pm 

does anyone know the grades of the deer park and tafelberg road boulders? or is there a guide of sorts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:59 pm 

The Deer Park boulders are realy nothing to write home about. More of a waste of time than anything else. Mabey 1 half decent boulder but that is it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:46 pm 

Give me a shout (dominic [dot] riordan [at] gmail [dot] dom) and I'll give you a tour the next time I go up there.

I know most of the established problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:55 pm 

the main Deer park boulder IS actually pretty good, but the best problems tend to be a little harder, metropolitan glide and the traverse are probably the best. But admittedly the lights boulders and jeep track boulders have a bit more to offer