Quantcast
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:58 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Bleak
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:12 pm 

It is totally bleak that Guest vs Guest was locked down. For fred sakes! This is b0ll0cks! Who decides. Supose Grigri gets to decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:01 pm 

No it was me who did that... thinking everyone was out of relevant things to say. I'll unlock it, but please keep it tidy.

Post subject: Guest not
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:40 pm 

Justin, will you also call, mail, and fax all the climbers that have mentioned that they are never coming back to this forum because it is not constructive.

When climbers log on to this forum from abroad they must think that our climbing community has rocks in their heads and rather decide to go to Thailand, Kalymnos or the Verdon.

Great, in that way we will always stay so far behind the international scene, never host international competititons and never create more employment in tourism for South Africa.

If you are bored at work, get a life and change your job. If you are bored at home, go and make friends and climb on their training walls or build your own. Rent a movie or start a blog.

BUT stop buggering up this forum.

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:50 pm 

So what chances do you think we have in SA of ever hosting international competitions? Imagine, that would be so cool. I rate less than zero. This forum is imaterial to any one who would make the decision..that is big sponsors.

\"never create more employment in tourism for South Africa.\" this forum could change the face of SA as we know it.

Sorry Gustav, most of it is just bit of p1s s taking & a laf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:49 am 

I'd say that we could very well host an international comp such as a Petzl roc trip. We have loads of undeveloped rock and not that many 'pros' have been out here so they would certainly be keen for a paid trip to SA to sample our routes.

While we were in Kalymnos (during the Kalymnos Roc Trip) Andrew Pedley had a chat with Steve McClure and he said that SA would be a great venue and he could chat to some of the guys from Petzl if necessary, so the ball is basically in our court at the moment...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:49 am 

I agree with gustav a forum is a \"window\" to a part of the community that is involved

justin there is no reason to open op that thread again i say start banning ppl [ok fine just mute them for a cpl of days and set the forum so that certain acount names cant be used (religous of political etc etc ) and that ppl cant make duplicate acount names]
(no offence u need a thik skin if u are running a forum i am currently doing the forum admin and mod thing on 2 forums)

As far as a petzl roc trip to S.A , it will kick monkey but
Any body been in contact with them, to find out more details ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:12 am 

Hey Justin, I agree 100% with Gustav and fridge. If possible, tighten the screws on non-constructive accounts like guest until they either fit in or f-off.

Evan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:32 pm 

Hey Justin, its not a democracy or social comm decision - its your baby.

Do what you want to do and what is in line with your objectives of running the forum in the first place.

I don't think you'd lose that many of us if it got a little more focused. Especially if it meant working more cohesively towards things like international comps in SA...Cool one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:21 pm 

Justin, I completely agree with the electric chick. The forum is yours and you should do with it exactly as you think fit. If these idiots want to shock and annoy, they can buy trenchcoats and run around in parks flashing people,or write bad words on public toilet doors. Frankly, i dont think anyone is going to judge SA by the quality of the morons we have in our climbing forums (there are fools everywhere), but its still irritating to have these w**ker threads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:38 pm 

Now guys come on dont you think youre being just a little uptight? You really think that because of guest there have been FEWER constructive threads? Rubbish! He throws in a curveball here and there and gets a lot of you lekka p****d off (cause youre too serious anyway), but who're you gonna flame if he's gone? Relax! Live and let live! Freedom of speech and all that too. I just dont think its right kicking off users because you dont agree with them sometimes(...often....ever....)Either ignore it or have a better comeback! It's a public forum after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:11 pm 

The Jimmy is correct. You can't ban people just because they say things you don't agree with.

Gustav, people go to Thailand, Kalymnos or the Verdon because it is safe, awesome and varied. They're not coming to SA for other reasons [mainly crime]. Not 'cos of 'Guest' saying mean things about the MCSA...and guess what, this forum is not constructive because the climbing community is so small that there just are not enough people to start up healthy debate.

I remember not so long ago a dutch poster who was ridiculed right off the bat [and NOT by me, in fact I actually ended up getting him to post pictures of their climbing walls and we had a healthy discussion about dutch society] I also remember a guy who asked for the Mt.Everest number who was slagged next post....so, blame me why don't you. I think you're all just too antsy and need to chill out and have a bit of a laugh. Let people have their own personality.

Marshall, I dig your sense of humour and for sure, I'll look you up when and if I come to your side of the planet...I'll bring the rum.

Gustav, Carl, EvanW [especially Evan, what a dic tator]...you are too serious. It's just climbing guys. It's a fun little sport. A passtime. Let's rather be serious where it matters ok? In commerce, law, business etc.

Gustav, maybe climbers go off to verdon when they read your guidebook and see the cool picture of the gorge in the back sleeve? Just a thought, flame away!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:12 pm 

Freedom of speech and humour are both great - the problem is when the topic gets distracted by an argumentative, unconstructive post who's purpose is more to add a social comment than to deal with the topic at hand. In guests case he sometimes has something useful and intelligent to say - unfortunately you have to dig through the other nonsense first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:57 pm 

Hi All,

Thanks for the support, it’s been a fine line moderating this forum in the past. We started Climb ZA 4 years ago for the fun of it… if it doesn’t stay that way for us its gonna get the Shift + Delete or sold off to the highest bidder.
When people start slandering ‘things’ / other members, it does not look good for ZA climbers. I know… We receive the emails afterwards.
We don’t enjoy editing / deleting posts (its work for us!!)

The site is primarily here for discussions about climbing and climbing related topics… if the topic goes off route (& the new topic is interesting & members involved aren’t being idiotic / flaming one another) we may chop the thread to create another one. Otherwise we need to delete the most recent offending posting and lock the thread.

A timeout might be a good idea, put the offending members account on freeze for a couple of days, let them cool off

Climbing comps can prevail in SA - it just takes a combination of things to get it together (yes, that will include big sponsor/s)

Spare us the crap about stuff on the internet is in the public domain, WE DON’T CARE!!!! This is the Climb ZA domain and currently it’s for the purpose of climbing - if we wanted to manage pre-school’ers we would have started a crèche.
But I can agree that if you don’t like something, stay away from it.

Please flame each other offline, for this purpose please use a real email address. Even better don’t flame at all.

Yours sincerely,
Climb ZA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:13 pm 

I'm happy for people to flame each other and talk sh1t about them but at least put your real name up.

Chances are you wouldn't mouth off like that to them in person.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:23 pm 

Justin wrote:
Hi All,
if it doesn’t stay that way for us its gonna get the Shift + Delete or sold off to the highest bidder.

I'll give you R5,00 for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:44 pm 

Childish and tiring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:43 pm 

The one thing I've found about forums and discussion groups on the internet is the LARGELY inflated ego's, and the level of disrespect they are willing to dish out. Let's face it, if everyone was sitting around a table having the same discussion things would be alot different - I would hope. Anonymity can be a good thing but can also be taken advatage of which is why it might help to have your real name instead of a nick.
Guest I don't think the majority people have such a problem with most of your posts (however useless they are), but when you hijack a constructive discussion into a flaming session, people get annoyed.
Justin, personally I don't think you should be too strict if something is on or off topic, we're all climbers and hey if we want to have a discussion on evolution or whatever, I don't see the harm? After all there were about 10 000 views on that post.
My 2 cents...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:01 pm 

We must all enjoy loging on & talking cra p or why would we do it. Justin, I think the site is great & I enjoy majority of the contributions on the forum, well, except the stuff about bouldering(kidding). There has been lots of good constructive stuff over the years & alot of horse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:55 pm 

Get real! Everyone knows the primary function of i-net forums is to talk kak and slag people off. I notice the very people who so boldly take the high moral ground in this thread are the same people who stoop to the basest of degrading comments in other threads.

People who fondly imagine the Petzl roctrip will find enough material here to warrant bringing a hundred pro's to the other side of the planet from where they all live is totally dillusional. Show me a crag with a potential 45m 8c+/9a and lots of of other hard unclimbed stuff around??? Anyone?
Hmmmmm....Bearing in mind accessibility, accommodation, and other infrastructure.???

And Jimmy; live and let live? In the context of your post where are you allowing any room for anyone else to live? You are the worst of the unimaginative slaggers! Arent you the same individual that wanted to dress everyone up in costumes with capes and masks in Guest vs Guest.?
BWAHAHAHAHA sooooooooo lame. I bet thats ur self portrait on the home page. How can any of you expect top overseas climbers and companies such as Petzl to take you seriously when pics like that adorn the home page???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:50 pm 

don't write anything on a forum you won't say to a persons face punt klaar. sometimes things are fun and people need to relax but lately some postings has been stupid, nasty, immature and just plain borat.

you change the world by being nice to the person next to you or the guy on the other side of the forum. might not make SA a super tourist destination, but will help. yep, save a nation one by one.

OK, i'm gonna watch braveheart now

Post subject: Bye bye
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:26 pm 

Gri-gri says:
Quote:
People who fondly imagine the Petzl roctrip will find enough material here to warrant bringing a hundred pro's to the other side of the planet from where they all live is totally dillusional. Show me a crag with a potential 45m 8c+/9a and lots of of other hard unclimbed stuff around??? Anyone?
Hmmmmm....Bearing in mind accessibility, accommodation, and other infrastructure.???

What planet are you on? When last did you go away to an area with another dialing code other than your own (don't answer yours is 082/3/4!)

Come and take a walk (even better, rap down - if you dare) between God No! Wall and Baboon Buttress to spy out some hard lines. I can teach you some abseil skills for relatively affordable rates. Otherwise join the club and open a route for once. Imagine:

THE LOSERS ROUTE (11) *
This route starts nowhere, goes nowhere and if someone wants to do the top pitch, be my guest :lol: I made a stance here after 5m of climbing, because I am a whimp climber and the exposure was killing me! PS I lost it on the first ascent. In fact I am still lost.
FA: Guest (BB) Guest

See, the difference between us and you, Guest, is that we have lots of fun talking s-h-i-t amongst ourselves, flaming each other etc. and then hooking up now then saying how sneeky that was to pull off so and so and having a couple of beers together. While you are still parking in front of your computer jerking off.

Cheese I am glad I don't have to look in the mirror calling myself \"guest\". In fact that is not really a very flattering name at all. Have you considered a name change? How will you ever get a boyfriend/girlfriend with a name like that?

Happy now? Probably not.

I fear the next step...

PS: Somebody, phone me when this gets better.

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:26 pm 

Yes GriGri you're exactly right that's my picture on the homepage. I was only trying to be as super as you, for you are the coolest most greatest peson to ever post on this forum and I want to be just like you. Forgive me and the administrator for posting this disgusting picture on your homepage and robbing you from a petzl roctrip.You are now the laughing stock of the whole world who log into this forum everyday to watch us get it on like the Asterix village. We had no idea. You call me lame Grigri?...jy's te min!!!

(Apologies to Dave Drummond :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:16 am 

Pretty sure that if Justin had started this forum with the intention of it being a place to flame each other off and slag off, it would have been called flameeachothernslagoff.CoZa.

And if the majority of people were looking for that, thats what they would have typed into google in the first place.

But since they probably typed in \"climbing in SA\", it might be reasonable to guess that that's what they were after - and might judge what they find.

Hell, If I was Justin, I'd chop heads right now just to prove I COULD. Why don't you lot advocating mass (though I think ur a minority) rule on a privately run forum go become Friends of Jacob Zuma instead.
www.friendsofjz.co.za - I hear you can get hot or cold showers there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:44 am 

hmmm i think i might get k@ked out for this but o well here go's

i am working on a \"forum\" theory that only apply's to local forum i think i am seeing a pattern starting to form (even on the local forum's that i am running)

Who here is from Cape Town?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:58 am 

Gri-Gri, I'm starting to dig your vibe! you are right. Oh man, that cape picture is rotten. This is the vibe I hate. Bunch of jokers in lycra and fancy dress. to prove what? This is the kind of thing the MCSA would do...then afterwards they'd have a prize giving for best dressed fool, folloed by biccies and a cuppa.

I love the way people get 'chased' away by a post. That's just lame. Stop being a bunch of cry-babies. This is climbing. It's supposed to be a 'hardcore' sport where hardmen/women break new ground and explore through this great skill we have...not crying about getting flamed etc.

Megawat, I wanted to post a real flamer for you, but at this stage, it would most likely get deleted...but, what I will say is this: You just don't get it do you? Your seriously lame political angle sucks. As for your dictatorial idea, yeah, let's chop heads...let's start with yours. Then we can all tip toe around what we really wanna say in case Justin doesnt like it...YEAH! Big up for freedom of speech.

As for Gustav [whoever he is?] GET REAL! Petzl Roctrip attracts the top climbers on the planet. You telling me that we can even come close to providing the right routes and infrastructure to support it? Maybe we can, but there are far more amazing places to film climbing on this planet.
And, your route description...LAME LAME LAME. Is that supposed to be funny? It's hard to tell. Lemme guess, I need to have a cuppa in my hand to get it?

And the name Guest is circumstantial...it came from when the forum used to allow anonymous posts and they'd be logged as guest. Then this was changed so I grabbed the name for myself. Clever huh! I'd hate to look in the mirror each day and call myself Gustav! I pity you. Lost in your own delusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:12 am 

Quote:
And the name Guest is circumstantial...it came from when the forum used to allow anonymous posts and they'd be logged as guest. Then this was changed so I grabbed the name for myself. Clever huh! I'd hate to look in the mirror each day and call myself Gustav! I pity you. Lost in your own delusion.

Guest, you didn't respond to one of my previous questions - do you have the guts to give us your real name? I have built up a personality profile in my own mind, and am very curious to know if it is the real you, or an alter-ego. Who knows, maybe we actually know each other in which case I may be able to conclude this exercise. Otherwise someone else on this forum must know you, and I'm sure they're interested to know if you're a Jekyll & Hyde or a Jekyll & Jekyll

* I'm sure you loving all this attention, hey? *

But, chances are (based on your previous reponses) you'll just cut & paste & quote out of context in your response in order to avoid actually giving a straight answer.

Guest, the only interest I have remaining for corresponding with you is to know who you are, because I don't think you offer anything else of value to any of the forum conversations. However, you are not sufficiently interesting to see me pursue this curiosity any further than this current posting ... if your next response to me is anything other than your real name then I will no longer respond to you (I have much better things to do with my time).

PS: If you don't have the cahoonas to post your name publically, then send me a PM with your contact details. Let's share one of these \"cuppas\" you mention quite often.

Cheers, Evan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 am 

The forum owner's rights to his own property are in question here - not freedom of speech. You are quite free to spout rubbish wherever you like, but here Justin is free to delete it or not.

Why don't you come flame me in person little no-name brand? Now that would be freedom of speech, with accountability and all thats good about freedom.

Dave D, hope ur having a good larf at the tight-a$$ed, conservative obs on your costume - the old Nats would have been proud of these boys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:36 am 

Quote:
But, chances are (based on your previous reponses) you'll just cut & paste & quote out of context in your response in order to avoid actually giving a straight answer.

oh REALLY!?!!

Quote:
if your next response to me is anything other than your real name then I will no longer respond to you (I have much better things to do with my time).

EvanW, please stop responding to me. I am asking you nicely. Just bc u wld like to know who I am is not MY problem. I am Guest. You are Evan. I care less. But, PLEASE stop wasting your precious time and PLEASE oh PLEASE do stop responding. Thanks.

megawat,megawat,megawat...Stop defending Justin and speaking for him.

ps-maybe I don't have cahoonas...have you thought about that? Why do you want me to flame you in person? Why would anyone give a sh1t about what you think anyway huh?..And please stop with your inane political bs...it's REALLY boring. I have asked you this before. Why do you have such a huge chip on your shoulder...let me guess...white, early 30's woman who feels hard done by. get over it.oh, and who's being tight-a$$ed here...most of this is just for a laff and so is the dissing...you are the one who is actually being serious here. I'd hate to climb with you.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:36 am 

Evan, I'll get the ball rolling. Let's start things off by offering a bottle of something or the cash equivalent to anyone who reveals Guest's identity - so there you have it folks, there's a bounty out on Guests head, any takers?

Post subject: 34 / 9A and above
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:39 am 

Climbing Question , if this is still done on this forum.

Gustav are you saying that there is potential on the God no wall and surrounds for 1 or more 34/9a and above grade climbs.

Has any South-African climber done and/or opened a 9a climb?