Quantcast
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Rockempire cams
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:58 pm 

anybody out there using rockempire cams? would love to hear if the great price is accompanied by decent quality. saw rock&ice mag gave the robot cams a \"best value\" award - not much other info by way of review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:08 am 

Those cams are quite allright. The bigger ones tend to walk a bit but otherwise there great stuff. Would say if you want more info on the cams just go to www.Rockclimbing.com, you can find almost anything under the gear reviews. I don't know how the new Rock Empire models are, but they look awsome.

Cheers

w

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:15 am 

I have a full set of DMM cams, a fancy Trango Max Cam, a couple of Wild Country Solid stems and 2 Rock Empires....I prefer the latter for ease of placement, DMM for weight, Trango for range (wider than Black Diamond) and the solid stems for paperweights.

Other people may have different opinions, but this is mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:10 am 

I haven't bought cams/friends for ages so i have no idea what the differences are in price... but for me Wildcountry Solid stems are a really good deal.
I actually prefer them to the flexi stems in the 2.5-4 size range because of their weight, ease of placement and relatively long life.
But that is just me...

Post subject: Cam sale: 20% off
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:35 am 

Well I have never used Rockempire cams, but for those living in CT I do know that CityROCK are running a 20% sale on all their cams (Tango, Alien, BD)...

Post subject: Robots
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:35 am 

I got a set of Robots that I ordered directly from Canada (and had some *^%$ in the Airport swipe a set before I got mine) and am more than happy with them – they place easy, have a neat and clean design and are well finished. A friend got a set about 6 months after me and a few alternations had been made (all for the better) as far as weight saving went.

I generally find the Robot design tends to walk less than the single stem designs….

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:42 pm 

Just to be clear. Rock Empire comes from Czech Republik and not from Canada or US. I've had to prevelidge to start my climbing carreer in Czech Republik on the sandstone (climbing area overlaps with east germany). People started climbing ther in the early 20th century (hemp rope around their waste on bare feet). Rock empire is an own brand from an outdoor shop (like k-way from cape union), the shop is called Hudy. Some smart ass that side bought lots of outdoor related brands after comunism fell in the late 80's so he could produce cheap but quality stuff for is own store. Unfortunately for Rock Empire and more from that side of the world made quite good stuff but did not certify the gear according to UIIA en EU. Smartasses like trango bought it in big loads, certified it according to UIIA etc and sold it under their brand. I can tell you the trango flex was Rock Empire flex. After the flex Hudy and Rock Empire learnt a lesson and now certify the cams etc themselves. I would say check out the site your self

http://www.hudy.cz

click on Katalog/horolezectvi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:27 pm 

thanks for the feedback guys. mountainmailorder is selling the rockempire flex cams from R320 whereas camalots start at just below R600 and friends at R550. rockempire's nuts is also a lot cheaper than other major brands.

their overseas (US) store prices recently ticked up by about US$ 5 - 10 so stock up before the price increases hit us (and the rand is going south).....

willemeulen you're an encyclopedia bru

ps: i do not work for mountainmailorder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:09 pm 

no I don't work for mountain mail order. I did some guiding in Czech republik (2002/2003) for about two years. As being part of an outdoor company you know whats going on in the outdoor brach.