It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Rapp Jumping
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:57 am 

Howzit folks. :D

I coulda sworn there was a forum for links an stuff, but it appears to have disappeared. If there's a more appropriate place, please will a mod or admin move the topic, thanks.

Anyway, not strictly climbing I know, but here are a few rapp jumping pics that belong to my climbing partner, on his website. I took the ones on the first page, but the rest are scans of his earlier rapp jumping escapades.

Hope you enjoy.

http://endorpheen.prohosts.org/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:35 am 

Blah , blah , blah...blah , blah :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:41 am 

A true pleasure to receive such an enthusiastic reply. :lol: ;)

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:58 am 

The sunglasses plus headlamp combination is a true winner....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:13 am 

yes, can admin move this to a forum topic \"Links to geeky pictures\".

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:56 am 

tygereye wrote:
The sunglasses plus headlamp combination is a true winner....

:lol: Hey, it was bright outside, and dark in the mine. :D

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:19 am 

Posts like THIS is why Climb ZA was voted THE most boring forum EVER!!!!

Avatar, you guys are so lame it makes me wanna puke!

Hardcore!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:25 am 

That is some serious lame s**t. This is a thread that should be blocked. This is the worst kind of s p a m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:49 am 

Yeah, you know, this is probably about the level of response I shoulda expected from the folks here after a bit of lurking.

Feel free to delete this thread if you want admins. This wonderful welcome and accepting attitude makes me really wish I was a part of this embracing community.

Odd how, on the crags, climbers tend to come across as a friendly and welcoming bunch, but clearly this particular cross-section prefers to present the less than friendly side as well.

Oh well, sorry I spammed your forum folks, and that you don't like our pics. I'll leave you to it.

Be safe.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:30 am 

well it definatly seems that some people have blinkers, different strokes for different folks, it seems that you have to be apart off the elite.

at least climbers are friendler at the crags, or maybe most climbers would rather be outside climbing than playing on a forum like this

eyes up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:30 am 

Tough crowd!! A little tact would be nice to say the least!

On the 'Archive 3' page, what bridge is that and have you considered bridge jumping it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:38 am 

the real lame'os are you smelly climbers who are so frikkin' a n a l that all you can offer is you bitter gutfelt bad manners. The way you herd together is also quite pathetic.
Plenty lurkers here appreciate posts that actually offer something besides snide comments avatar - so don't be put off :)

ps your not supposed to agree with guest - he doesnt like it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:40 am 

Howzit Justin. :D

Tact, I fear, is not a usual response from some of the members here, although perhaps Jester has a point and the charming responders are actually very polite when you meet them out in real life.

As for those last pics, like I said, they're scans from a friend of mine's collection, some dating back a few years. IIRC, that bridge is in Dainfern. I was gonna suggest to him that he join here, in which case he'd be able to tell you, but somehow I don't think he'll be much interested in getting flamed. ;)

Nice to get a more pleasant welcome though, which I appreciate.

(Edited to add thanks to Grrr as well...missed your post earlier. ;) )

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:58 pm 

Of course all these so called 'flamers' will be super friendly and kind when you meet them in person. No disguise to hide behind then... Guys like Guest and the all the other big mouths are garuanteed to never step up to all their big talk when taken on in a real life situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:06 pm 

The problem with climbers are as follows: big ego's and a desire to be perceived as hardcore in reality those ego's are fragile (and hence it disappears at the crag) - I bet we all smoked in standard 4 - cool :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:07 pm 

Posting deleted due to irrelevance - please 'pm' people for personal discussions.
Climb ZA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:23 pm 

Well at least you're honest about it guest. I hope that I never have the misfortune of meeting you on the rock, and that my encounters with other climbers continue to be marked by the overall friendliness that climbers in general, (although obviously not in particular) tend to exhibit.

As for the pics, you sorta missed the point. They're not meant to be a measure of \"hardcore-ness\" at all. Nobody is trying to prove anything, either doing it, or posting them here, although you seem to be trying to prove something with your replies. I foolishly thought that other people might like to see some pics of something related. Clearly it seems that, according to the ever-vocal minority (so far ;) ) I was wrong.

Your personal opinion of the pics or the jumpers is, while obviously your own prerogative, pretty meaningless. You don't like them or think that there's anything worthwhile about them. Think you were pretty clear on that. Also pretty clear that you think that those are sufficient grounds to be insulting in response.

Once again, your prerogative. *shrug* If you have anything constuctive to say on the other hand, I'll be more than happy to read it.

--A

(Edit: Oops...admin got there first. Your right. Delete this for continuity if you want.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:32 pm 

For most climbers, especialy trad climbers abseiling is just not fun. It is the risky part of the climb, where lots of serious accidents occur. For me abseiling has not been fun for years. It's a total freak out. On lots of occasions when we have to abseil, it's off some dodgy bush. I prefer walking off if the option is a remote posibility. Seeing Avatar & his mates fooling/playing about on something so serious is irritating.

\"Of course all these so called 'flamers' will be super friendly and kind when you meet them in person. No disguise to hide behind then... Guys like Guest and the all the other big mouths are garuanteed to never step up to all their big talk when taken on in a real life situation.\" OH. My full name is Derek Marshall, I live in PE these days. You are all welcome to visit me for a spot of climbing. Some people recognise that I can be a bigger a** off the forum. But generaly I'm fairly nice. Ok Dbez would know that I'm not that nice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:03 pm 

Marshall wrote:
For most climbers, especialy trad climbers abseiling is just not fun. It is the risky part of the climb, where lots of serious accidents occur. For me abseiling has not been fun for years. It's a total freak out. On lots of occasions when we have to abseil, it's off some dodgy bush. I prefer walking off if the option is a remote posibility. Seeing Avatar & his mates fooling/playing about on something so serious is irritating.

Now that's more like the sort of response I was hoping for. Well, in concept, rather than substance, but you know what I mean. ;) Thanks Marshall.

I can certainly see why you don't think much of the activity in the light of the post that you just made.

That said, I find the fact that it irritates you surprising, since by no stretch of the imagination does it affect you in any way. It's not like we're asking you to do it, or forcing anybody to do it.

It's neither here nor there of course, but I'll mention for the sake of it that the jumps pictured were made under the safest conditions possible, with multiple anchors and experienced brakemen.

While abseiling out of necessity under less than ideal conditions can frequently be dangerous, I think it would be fair to say that there is a difference between that, and sites which are chosen specifically for abbing or rapp jumping, where they are the point of the excercise, rather than a last resort when walk outs are impossible.

Please don't assume (for whatever reason) that safety is not the most important consideration. It is, and should always be, at the forefront of the issues related to this or any similar activity.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:33 pm 

\"That said, I find the fact that it irritates you surprising, since by no stretch of the imagination does it affect you in any way. It's not like we're asking you to do it, or forcing anybody to do it.\" Its not the doing that is so irritating, its the recording

Well (to me) talking about or taking pictures of abseils that were undertaken, as aposed to routes lead; is similar to boasting about a wa**k that was enjoyed as apposed to having real s**. But as some one else rightly pointed out: it is really a case of diffrent strokes for diffrent folks. Thanks for not asking me join in. No offence, Avatar or your mates. Thats just how i see it. Good that you take safety seriously. Justin...I understand if there are parts of my view which are offensive & need to be deleted.

So why do most of us(& me) feel the need to bomb others who are diffrent or perceived diffrent? Is it part of a discrimination system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:55 pm 

Yep, i think Avatar said it. You considder rapp jumping 'so serious'??? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:58 pm 

Marshall wrote:
No offence, Avatar or your mates. Thats just how i see it. Good that you take safety seriously.

None taken, (now that you explained ;) ) and thanks for taking the time and making the effort to clarify your position. This sort of dicussion is what forums like this are meant for, rather than the use to which they are all too often put.

As you so rightly suggest, different people enjoy different things and to different degrees. You wouldn't catch me climbing trad. Certainly not until I've gotten really bored with everything else at least. ;)

Abbing or rapp jumping isn't some extreme endurance fest or to prove anything to anyone, it's just fun. (For me anyway. ;) ) A good way to get into the outdoors and play with some rope, a good way to introduce people to things that take more effort, like climbing, above all, a good way just to chill out for a bit.

I guess that's sorta behind my whole (albeit mild, having lurked) surprise at the reaction. It's meant to be fun. Seems like if people are getting so aggro about it, they're taking it too seriously. And while many aspects are serious, like the safety question, the seriousness is not at the root of why we climb. Or I don't think it should be. Sure, there are some uber-competitive people out there, but if you're not having fun, what's the point?

Everybody is welcome to say "That's not for me" like you just did. Freedom of choice and all that. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. If I have as much fun abbing as somebody else does leading a 28, then that's what should matter, isn't it? :D

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:00 pm 

Avatar, just as a matter of interest, what ropes are you using, static or dynamic and what diameter? How many jumps do you do on a new rope before you retire it?

Last edited by African Climber on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Rap jump
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:02 pm 

Excuse my igorance, but what is \"rap jumping\"? Seems to me its reverse abseiling? Why on earth would someone want to do that? Everytime I bomb over the edge to bolt a new route I sh1t in my pants and now some people want to do it head first?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:13 pm 

The ground rush is wicked :twisted: have a look

http://www.purerush.co.za/videos/PureRush(WEB%20VIDS)_small/Rap-Parktonian_small.wmv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:04 pm 

This is how I see it...different strokes for different folks. Some people will enjoy kite surfing, others will enjoy skate boarding more. Same in this situation...some enjoy climbing...others enjoy abseiling more...dont see what the fuss is about :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:23 pm 

What fun it was to read about males having an argument about rapp jumping! :lol: Ha, ha, thanks Avatar and everybody else for the soap-like forum about rapp jumping!

Firstly, this forum is for everything, not just climbing and Guest, I don't find the topic boring at all so there goes your \"most boring forum ever.\"

Then, the pics looks really like it could be a leka adrenaline rush - just sorry for the bunch that can't take \"hardcorrness\"! How often do you go rapp jumping and do you have lots of sites where it can be done?

Avatar, you haven't answered African Climber's question about what type of rope you use. And what device do you use to brake/sail down the rope?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:20 pm 

If guys wanna rapp jump then they are welcome to.

Here is what hardcore rapp jumping is tho:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_b0KVSFQds

Quote:
Firstly, this forum is for everything, not just climbing and Guest

YEAH! Legend status :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:43 am 

Howzit folks. Thanks for the interest, it's great to see more people posting on this.

African Climber: It's a 12mm static rope, hard profile braid on braid.

Back when my climbing partner was doing it commercially, (he no longer does, but many of those pics are from when he was), they retired the rope every 500 jumps.

Andy: Rapp jumping is forward rapelling. It was \"invented\" by the Australian special forces.

Jana, glad you liked them. ;) We don't jump very often at all these days...the pics on the front page were the first in a long time. But there are plenty of sites, just depends on how far you're willing to travel I guess.

The descender is a cardiac. Gloves are essential and so is not touching the cardiac when you land...it gets hell of a hot.

Guest, forgive the question, but did you even bother to go past the front page on that site? The first pic in Archive 2 is a double spiral off the Musgrave centre in Durban...18 stories...exactly the height of the building in that vid. (Except the guy in the pic is turning spirals, not just going straight down.) The second is 44 meters off the Sanlam Centre in Randburg, a measly 13 stories.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:21 am 

Morning

the difference between Abseiling and Rapp jumping.

firstly abseiling is a slow controlled descent, Rapp jumping is a fast descent (first used by the military)

the ropes used in abseiling is either a dynamic for climbing or a semi static for commercial abseiling, in RApp jumping it needs to be a static rope so you dont bounce like a yo-yo, saying that Rapp jumping uses a \"brake man\" some one that holds the end of the rope. this person has all the control if a jumper losses control. on a static rope there is instant control on a dynamic rope one must first take up stretch before aquiring control of the jumper.

dynamic ropes have a softer weave than most static ropes and can not handle the huge amount of friction, a jump rope is tightly laid which handles frictions well.

there is also a difference between RAp and Rapp jumping.

but as a sport is growing