It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:45 am 

I went on a trad day out with the Mountain Club of South Africa. I have never been out with the Mountain club of South Africa before. It was really worth it, I learned a lot in a morning and I had a real good time, they really are clued up about climbing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:20 pm 

WOW! Glad to see you made it out alive!

People hanging out with the MCSA run a serious risk of getting bored to death. Don't become a statistic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:32 pm 

yeah... wait 'til they show you one of their gripping slide shows ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Post subject: Knowledge is important
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:27 am 

I have a keen interest to learn new things about climbing and I believe now that the Mountain Club of South Africa has a lot of knowledge. The more you know about climbing including statistics ie how people are most likely to injure themselves the safer climber you will become.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:51 pm 

grrr,

a slideshow is only as interesting as the person presenting it.

If you have some tips on any potential presenters who might keep the zzz's at bay, then I'm sure the club would be glad to hear from you. The convenor for the 1st Tuesdays here in Cape Town is Christina Jongens who can be contacted via the office.

As a thought - what did you do on your last trip? Take any pics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:41 am 

I gave a side show/ presentation effort at MCSA last night. There were stacks of baalies that caught a Z. Who cares!

Post subject: for what its worth
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:12 pm 

I have seen - best way to learn things in the Club is not to wait for some club event and hope to tag along - find out who is doing what (like the next weekend) and tag along, most people are cool and wont mind showing you (provided you dont leach: hold on and suck dry). the people are the club ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:33 pm 

Yep, Chalk is talking true...

Without knowing any other climbers and wanting to get introduced to the sport, I decided to check out the local MCSA activities (Magaliesberg) and within few months I climbed Mt. Kenya, have learnt several great sites at Magalies to go on my own if I feel like, and have made several friends so that I'm never out of climbing buddies (all in less than a year).

I was a bit concerned first about the age difference, especially with the Magalies section (Jozi has younger group and is more climbing focused), but it really hasn't been a problem. Hmmm, maybe I'm getting too old myself ;)