It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:03 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Vegetation
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:46 am 

What is everyones views on removing vegetation to open routes or boulders? What is too much? Recently I was tempted to cut down a small tree to open a new high-ball at Swinburne. Is this really fair?! The tree has been growing for years, only to be hacked down for a few minutes of glory.

On a another note. If any strong climbers are passing through Harrismith be sure to try out some of the boulder projects or route projects at Swinburne. Potential for two excellent variations on Dunce on Fire. One breaking along the lip at the Dunce stand-start. Another starting on the bottom holds and moving left via the two finger pocket into Don't Let go. Both between 7c and 8a+ I would think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:08 pm 

Well , that sound like a quest of morality in some sense .
To chop or not to chop ? 8)
I went out yesterday to Corner Cafe at Slipper to clean some vegetation around this boulder , but here it tends to be more alien veg and the \"clubbies\" from MCSA will actually appreciate my effort ...but I cannot say go ahead with chopping some tree , when we almost hated the guy that chopped off the trees' branches at Dungeon . I say if its alien , go for it and if not then rather try a different approach , if possible . Too many of us just clean everything as we see around boulders and actually create a chance for soil erosion . :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:52 pm 

Bringing one child into this world causes more enviromental damage than a boulderer or climber could ever cause choping a few trees. Think of paper consumed during education, land cleared for growing food....blablabla... So time spent clearing boulders is saving the enviroment compared to meeting a woman & settling down. Chop away!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:26 pm 

Marshall wrote:
Bringing one child into this world causes more enviromental damage than a boulderer or climber could ever cause choping a few trees. Think of paper consumed during education, land cleared for growing food....blablabla... So time spent clearing boulders is saving the enviroment compared to meeting a woman & settling down. Chop away!

Well.. why didn't your father made that choise? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:36 pm 

omg i think M has been smoking the vegetation...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:56 am 

\"Well.. why didn't your father made that choise?\" Don't know, but clearly he did not.

Grr is quite correct, vegetation does burn. June - July is normaly the best time to set it alight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:10 pm 

Paul, it seems like you were looking for a serious debate on this issue...

To put the fuddy-duddy MCSA reputation into perspective, I have heard something like the following from one of the older, respected members of the CT section: \"if you cut something down, at least cut it right down at the ground!\". The logic being that a tree cut off half-way up is more likely to attract the attention of nature-conservation officials...

Seriously, though, I think that most of the time the law takes that decision for us. That's not to say that nobody saws off the odd branch here and there, but people do tend to respect the fact that we do our sport in protected reserves, mostly.

Finally, if you had to ask the question, maybe you shouldn't do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:48 am 

thanks for the response.

I wouldn't consider cutting anything down in a protected area. But in other areas maybe. Guess to some degree it is a personal decision. Unless it impacts on the visual appeal of an area.