It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Bronkies accommodation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:52 am 

Hi!
New to the forum... :oops:

Does anyone know of good / nice accommodation in Bronkies? Want to organize weekend for climbing.

Thanks! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:45 pm 

Daisy2, there are a few things you need to consider before organising a \"weekend for climbing\" @ Bronkies. I assume that you are either new to climbing, or you just haven’t been to Bronkies.

First of all, where do you live? Bronkies is not what most climbers would consider a weekend venue i.e. there are no camping facilities at the crag. You can camp next to the fisherman on the shores of the Bronkhorstspruit Dam close by and drive, (or swim :wink: ) to the crag.

Secondly, what grades do you climb? Have a look at the \"Bronkies Access\" thread (2nd page) for a RD of Bronkies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:12 pm 

he daisygirl (i hope you're a girl....)

jip, there's no camping at bronkiescrag (pity!) but a web search should spit out a few campsites / game lodges etc around bronkhorstspruit. i've thought about camping at the crag myself, but it will be a fairly brave move.

i think the setting is as good as it gets in gauteng and with no walk-in it makes a very pleasant climbing spot. on freedom day the crag was packed (good/bad?) with whole families coming to enjoy the outing and picnic - always a very nice vibe.

stephan what's wrong with the grades bru? 11 - 27 (think there's about 8 new climbs) with 3 on 25+. good challenge for most of us mortals and a few nice climbs at or below 16 for the beginners........

ciao
Mok
ps: the RDs were added to the topos section on this site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:37 pm 

Hi,

My two cents worth, I was also at bronkies on freedom day and enjoyed the vibe there, nice atmosphere etc

I realize I'm going to sound like a left-wing fuzzy bearded hippy now so flame away if you want but what concerns me is that in the two months that I have been going there now I have noticed the place looking more and more untidy, papers, food lying around, also some soul did their worst right next to the pathway and only bothered to half-cover the toiletpaper and their efforts.

This place is unique, a pristine crag not even two hours from Jozi with a clean river system and resident Black eagle pair crusing around you while you climb and no walk-in. I reckon a little more care with taking out what you brought in and burying your \"deposits\" far from the path and the water is not to much to do.

Bronkies is seeing more traffic than ever so lets not ruin it now :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:42 pm 

Nothing wrong with the grades! I was just thinking that for beginners it isn't worth organising a \"weekend trip\" to Bronkies. Not that I don't like the crag, I love it, I just think there are other places relatively close by which will make a better weekend trip, and which has better facilities - hence the question \"where do you live?\"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:03 pm 

Wow, thanks guys! :o

Relatively new to climbing, been doing so for just over a year. We've been climbing mainly at Strubens and Northcliffe and managed to \"conquer\" the majority of the climbs. And then some adventures into Magalies. Some members of the party are a lot more experienced though.

I've heard a lot about Bronkies, and a couple of us thought to organize a \"weekend away\" so as to accommodate the non-climbing members of the party. The idea is to probably drive through on a Friday afternoon, climb Saturday morning, keep the non-climbers happy in the afternoon and perhaps repeat the excercise on the Sunday.

We were looking for decent, comfortable accommodation in the area so to keep everyone happy. Did the google thing, but didn't come up with much, was just thinking you more experienced okes might have some more \"inside-info\".

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:17 pm 

mkboy wrote:
I realize I'm going to sound like a left-wing fuzzy bearded hippy now so flame away if you want but what concerns me is that in the two months that I have been going there now I have noticed the place looking more and more untidy, papers, food lying around, also some soul did their worst right next to the pathway and only bothered to half-cover the toiletpaper and their efforts.

This place is unique, a pristine crag not even two hours from Jozi with a clean river system and resident Black eagle pair crusing around you while you climb and no walk-in. I reckon a little more care with taking out what you brought in and burying your "deposits" far from the path and the water is not to much to do.

Bronkies is seeing more traffic than ever so lets not ruin it now :wink:

Hear, hear!! It was a little too busy on Freedom Day imo, but I suppose there's safety in numbers. But I did notice the litter. I can't say if it's worse or better than it used to be as it was my first time out there, but I was surprised at the litter... uncool.

Some really nice routes, though! Going again on Sunday... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:43 pm 

Hi Daisy2,

I asked around and found one place at the dam:

http://www.johannesburg-venues.co.za/kaiamanzi/

I dont know it at all but I guess its worth a look, doesnt look like theres much to do for non-climbers though.

Bronkies is a morning crag, it gets plenty hot after 12:30am or so so your plan is a good one.

Enjoy! MKboy

Hey Proze,

Can you climb 'Blue suede shoes' on Sunday so I can see you go 'Elvis' on the last section again? laughed so hard I could barely belay you :wink:

Post subject: To buy or not to Buy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:04 pm 

Just to keep people in the loop, the MCSA was looking to buy this crag a few months ago. The story is that the holdup was that MCSA magaliesberg section thought the price too high, whereas the JHB section wanted to put their money on the table. So if you are from North of the Jukskei and think it is a worthwhile spot to buy, let the committee of Mag section know about it.

If the MCSA had to buy the place, I guess one of the options would be to do up the house if it were part of the property, else at least make a camping spot.

Even though it is well within striking distance of JHB or Pta, it would be quite a cool spot to spend the night with a few buddies, a chop and a dop, be able to sleep through the hot hours of the day etc

Post subject: I knew it!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:15 pm 

That bunch from Pretoria! Come on people .. its the best piece of rock in all :? of .. Bronkhorstspruit! As a mater of fact is it was not for Bronkies that place would not even feature on the national map! Buy it .. please please please ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:57 pm 

Hi Daisy,

I can recommend something different for your non-climbers and climbers alike if you are making a weekend out of it - go have waffles and ice-cream at the budhhist temple. They have a very sweet little tea room - very well priced. Just take a clean pair of clothes and don't wear shorts if you can help it.

You may order waffles and get pancakes, or soup and get noodles depending on what they have avail, but its a lovely place. Then you can walk around the main temple which is pretty spectacular. Just be respectful.

Eish - I can't understand how people litter - anywhere - but especially in such a spot. If I see it directly, someone will end up with their rubbish conveniently stowed up their nose. No, I'm not terribly buddhist about that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:06 pm 

Well bronkies is a really pretty crag i will give it that.

If u really want to go and spend 2 days in a row there go for it.

But i all i can say is bronkies got a cple of nice climbs and a cple of K@k climbs in my opinion.

So why not save ur cash and see if u can make a mission to boven for easter like a cple of us are doing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:25 pm 

right-on the rubbish issue mk boy! we should not tolerate it and we can all do our bit to keep the place clean i suppose.

c'mon fridge most climbs at bronkies are nice (few butt ones sure like all other crags). will never beat boven and the like, but flip, if you live in jhb-midrand-pta it is really kewl to have a venue like this on your doorstep. reeaaaaalllly hope that the MCSA manages to buy it. surely the numbers of climbers at the crag lately makes a good case?

and if we can just get rid of those flippen eagles' nest there's potentail for some MONSTER routes through the cave...... yea, just kidding. love eagles, snakes, likkewane.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:50 pm 

i agree with the fact that it is nice having such climbs on your doorstep.
The thing is i had a bad experiance (evil fall) there 2 or three weeks ago so i am kinda staying away from the place for a while now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:32 am 

megawat wrote:

I can recommend something different for your non-climbers and climbers alike if you are making a weekend out of it - go have waffles and ice-cream at the budhhist temple. They have a very sweet little tea room - very well priced. Just take a clean pair of clothes and don't wear shorts if you can help it.

Thanks so much megawat - best piece of advice from this thread... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:34 am 

mkboy wrote:
Hi Daisy2,

I asked around and found one place at the dam:

http://www.johannesburg-venues.co.za/kaiamanzi/

I dont know it at all but I guess its worth a look, doesnt look like theres much to do for non-climbers though.

Bronkies is a morning crag, it gets plenty hot after 12:30am or so so your plan is a good one.

Enjoy! MKboy

Thanks MKboy! Another good piece of advice! :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:50 pm 

fridge wrote:
Well bronkies is a really pretty crag i will give it that.

If u really want to go and spend 2 days in a row there go for it.

But i all i can say is bronkies got a cple of nice climbs and a cple of K@k climbs in my opinion.

So why not save ur cash and see if u can make a mission to boven for easter like a cple of us are doing

Bronkies was my first real rock experience, there were some really great climbs, and then some bad ones... we need not mention names, eh fridge?..... :D

Boven... man, I can't wait for this easter!!! It's gonna be insane!!!!

Visit The Mad Traveller!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:20 pm 

stay away from fragile ego especcialy when it is wettish / snotty (it broke my ego into tiny tiny little pieces)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:11 am 

You know what the worst of it is fridge.... not only did it shatter our ego's that day, but it still looked better than us at the end of the day!!!! That's bad!!!!!! :lol:

Visit The Mad Traveller!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:25 am 

If you really want to stay up there, why not try the Nan Hua Temple. http://www.nanhua.co.za

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:31 pm 

Only if you gonna throw away the \"chop n dop\"...Staying at Nan Hua means no meat or alcohol (and they'd probably frown on girls n boys sharing). Bit austere to stay the night if you're not after a retreat perhaps..