It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:47 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Why go back to the past
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:07 pm 

Why is their a need to make Cape Town how it was before settlers arrived here? Man has malnipulate his environment since the beggining of time. Our ancient ancestors started fires in reeds to flush out wild life. Animals have migrated and birds have carried seeds over seas.

What is wrong with having pine trees and oaks and squirrels and more importantly farm land since you can't eat a view. What is this obession with fynbos. Grow all the fynbos you want in the Cape Nature Reserve and in your garden. Why you need an area bigger than the Cape Nature Reserve for fynbos I don't understand.

A few reckless people start a fire, why punish everyone else by not allowing them to braai under pine trees in Tokai plantation. Thats like saying because their are a few reckless car drivers no one should be allowed to drive a car. There are fire places in Tokai plantation where people braai and if people put out there fires properly there won't be bush fires.

If Pine trees are managed they won't spread out of control. You can successfully keep pine trees out of certain areas and create jobs without having to cut all the pine trees.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:25 pm 

I think they do. The lion uses the tall grass to hide from its prey. The crocodile uses the water to hide. It all depends if we malnipulate an environment in a good way or a bad way.

How does fynbos benefit the man on the street? Does it create tourism which gives him a job? People need to benefit from nature otherwise they won't care about it. Tourists can see all the fynbos they want at the Cape Nature Reserve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:53 pm 

http://www.coolforest.org.za

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:13 pm 

I believe that some pine trees should stay, though I don't think it is right to attack the head of the table mountain national parks integrity with out him beeing here to be able to defend himself. He could be a tree expert all we know. A person can study one thing but work in another field and learn a lot about something because of working in that field.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:31 am 

They had a scheme where they hired unemployed people to clear pines from the higher slopes of table mountain. I think Tokai forest, Newlands forest and pines lower down must stay however higher up they could be cleared.

They trained unemployed people as fire fighters to help fight fires in tokai plantation.

They put hikers hut in Silvermine Nature Reserve and are going to organise over night hikes and train unemployed people up as guides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:55 am 

Is it just me or is this the most idiotic argument I have ever read on this forum? I'm embarassed to have contributed... :oops:

If you going to argue about something for the sake of arguing at least use intelligent arguments!!??

The only one making any sense here is Myself, at least he/she has some valuable points to make.

There are FAR more important things to worry about in this country, in terms of conservation, and otherwise, than some bl**dy Pine trees and whether they should be cut down or not.

They are there, leave them there...and the fre*king squirrels etc etc and fight/make your voice heard when it really matters in future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:38 pm 

Nature conservation, or cutting down pine trees for that matter, is an important topic worth discussing, but PLEASE not on this forum!! This is a climbing forum which is meant for climbing related topics, not for woody woodpecker issues.

Thus, to add to Mkboy, can we please ask for this thread to be locked so that Drifter won't be able post another (boring!) argument every 10 minutes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:10 pm 

Maybe Drifter's dad should give him some sanding to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:08 pm 

There is a cool bouldering area in Cecelia Forest, so it is in fact a climbing related topic.
Haven't these people heard of compromise, they seem to have inherited the same monarchal pigheadedness from the previous regime.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:20 pm 

Marshall I have done a lot of sanding of wood and spray painting of steel today. What have you been up to?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:29 pm 

I would like to take a photo of a weld Marshall so a layman like yourself could see what a good weld should look like, it shouldn't look like someone has taken a bite out of the medal.

Have a good weekend, it is home time now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:58 pm 

WTF... if this sh*t ,i.e how a good weld should look like, is climbing related then we might as well discuss any damn thing on this forum!!!!

Drifter, go find somewhere else to play... :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:09 pm 

The photos would be intresting Drifter. I'm not much of a welder myself, but I have trained 30 or more staff on inspection of welds on cat & exhaust systems. We inspect on average 6500 welded parts a day. I'm not a expert by any means, but have a fair idea on weld quality & defects in a production enviroment. Most are parts welded in robotic cells. Robots are good at welding, very consistant.

There is a mig & an arc welder in my garage...don't ask me to use them. I can't & can't find time to learn. Too busy posting nasty comments on the forum.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:09 am 

You know something about welds if you know how to inspect welds. That is a skill as well.

I am not great welder myself, we have a guy who has over 10 years experience working in ship yards.

I am also a petrol head myself. I enjoy the mechanics of cars.

You got a cool job.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:13 am 

Marshall send me your e-mail address. My e-mail address is fellowpassenger@hotmail.com and when they are welding I beams again I will send you a photo or maybe I will take a photo of something else they are welding.