Quantcast
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Drakensberg Weather
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:55 pm 

Does anyone know of a website where I can get accurate and reliable weather forecasts for the Drakensberg (Sentinel to Cathedral Peak specifically) other than weathersa.co.za? I have heard that some of the Universities have very good forecasting sites?

(I would just like to know what the weather is going to be like over the long weekend coming up)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:45 am 

weathersa is probably your best bet - check 7-day forecast under \"Giant's Castle\" for northern Berg. do not know about any university forecasts - international yes but not local.

experience have shown that 0% to 30% chance of rain forecast means generally OKish weather and 60% to 80% rain means wetwetwet. The weather in the Berg is notoriously unpredicatble so always be prepared for the worst - the forecasts are for the towns at the base of the Berg but in the mountain things go their own way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:10 pm 

Thanks mokganjetsi, I have used the Giant's Castle weather station info before, but you know what they say about the weather...especially in the berg.

Out of interest, a friend of mine has studied the trends in rainfall total's and variability from 1970-2000 along the foothills of the berg (where all the SAWS stations are located). He compared this to actual rainfall & temperature data which was, and is still being, measured on the escarpment edge from 2002, for his PhD. (so now you know what those funny looking things are on top of some of the peaks in the berg, e.g. Sentinel) He found that there is actually a significant difference between the two data sets.

My point: the SAWS use the weather stations from the foothills of the berg to forecast the weather, which isn't actually a true reflection of what the weather IN the berg will do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:45 pm 

so, after his PhD is he going to do the weather forecasts for us? hope he can do something worthwhile with all that effort :)

let's hope the weather is good - making my way to the mnweni cutback this long weekend. enjoy your trip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:05 pm 

\"Drakensberg\" and \"Accurate weather forecast\" in the same sentence. Uh oh!!! :shock:

Take clothing and protective gear for all seasons!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:41 pm 

did a trip last year sept / oct. had warm pleasant weather on day 1, mist on day 2, storm winds day 3; rain and snow day 4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:57 pm 

It was bloody freezing this past weekend!! I heard of this site from a guy I met on the mountain. It \"forecasts\" the weather for Mont-aux-Sources area specifically:

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Mont-aux-Sources.shtml

P.S. A couple of backpacks and hiking boots were again stolen out of tents (while people were sleeping) on top of Amphi. According to the guard at the car-park five groups of people were robbed during Friday night. Please be careful if you're planning a trip up there so that this doesn’t happen to you!