It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Perfect Wall Comp
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:41 am 

I don't know how many of you guys took part in the Perfect Wall comp on Sat (seeing as the weather was beautiful) and turnout was generally poor I think. Without taking anything away from the organisers, (I should also state that i didn't compete) i think there was a major problem with the scoring system.

It totally marginalised climbers that focused on bouldering. If you climbed the first quarter of the 10 routes you scored more points than if you completed all 30 boulder problems. AND they still wanted to multiply the route scores by between 1 & 5 per grade, thank goodness they didn't.

what a load of bollocks!! why should we take part if the scoring systems are so skewed pray tell? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:29 pm 

Climbing is not about comps. Take part in them at your own risk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:02 pm 

I'm sorry to hear that u are so upset about it! Let me reassure you that in the end (don't know if you stayed until the end), the scores were relatively fair between the bouldering and the lead climbing, in fact, the guy who we all thought was going to win (because he climbed all the lead routes), turned out to be second because someone scored a higher boulder score and ultimately scored more points.

If you still want to voice your opinion about this, pls feel free to come to the Wall! Any suggestions would also be helpful In the end, climbing is about climbing...not scores and prizes! Sorry again, it was a bit hard to organise a competition in 3 days and we apologize for the late notice!

All in all, the competition was a success and everybody (who climbed) enjoyed the routes and the climbing!

The final scores will be up by the end of the week! Thanks for everybody who took part, because without you there wouldn't have been a competition!

Kalika

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:43 am 

climber wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that u are so upset about it! Let me reassure you that in the end (don't know if you stayed until the end), the scores were relatively fair between the bouldering and the lead climbing, in fact, the guy who we all thought was going to win (because he climbed all the lead routes), turned out to be second because someone scored a higher boulder score and ultimately scored more points.

If you still want to voice your opinion about this, pls feel free to come to the Wall! Any suggestions would also be helpful In the end, climbing is about climbing...not scores and prizes! Sorry again, it was a bit hard to organise a competition in 3 days and we apologize for the late notice!

All in all, the competition was a success and everybody (who climbed) enjoyed the routes and the climbing!

The final scores will be up by the end of the week! Thanks for everybody who took part, because without you there wouldn't have been a competition!

Kalika

Don't get me wrong, i'm grateful to the organisers for going to the effort of setting up the comp in the first place and I know climbing isn't about prizes and crap. The scoring system could just do with a rethink. The winner won because although he climbed a lot of the boulder problems he also climbed a fair amount of the routes which boosted the scores dramatically! :)

Anyway... I just wanted to let it be known that there was an issue with the scoring system and hopefully the next comp will be even better.