Quantcast
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:55 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:21 pm 

I am not nearly good enough to take part in competitions though I know where you are comming from, boulderers shouldn't of been discriminated against.

Post subject: Ja
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:03 pm 

Darn right bollocks pray tell!! :shock: My opinion says that bouldering is a more pure sport than rock climbing, since no gear what so ever helps you get to the top. Boulderers should be more respected than sport or trad climbers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:35 pm 

Huh? If you want respect for being a boulderer, then I suggest you find something else to fill your weekends. If not, at least leave your pad at home from now on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:48 pm 

I often leave my pad at home. Even more natural. Anyway what does that have to do with anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:31 pm 

Johan. Bouldering is way too much fun to earn any kind of respect. We're all just playing outside. Who needs respect anyway? If at all, it should only be given to those climbers who are not having any fun at all.

Post subject: It is just different
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:03 am 

Jonah I disagree ,bouldering is hard however I don't believe in more pure forms of climbing, I think you just get different types of climbing in my opinion.

In bouldering you are using modern equipment such as rock shoes.

What is the definition of pure? Who decides what the purest form of climbing is and does such a thing exist?

This is my opinion, what do you think?

This reminds me of the debate about speaking 'proper english.'People talk also about proper english, that Americans don't speak proper English however there is not such a thing as proper English, standard English exist which is what the ruling class in England speak and decided that this is the correct type of English to speak. Language is a living evolving thing and American words came about because of their environment. I hear that Eskimos have a 100 different words in their language for snow. In England they spoke old English which is not the same as the English we speak today. Should we say that they spoke a more pure English in the old days? What do you think about this as well?

Post subject: Well yeah, although
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:08 pm 

Ways of speaking and cultural habbits evolved in different ways in different parts of the world, factored partly by the environment and possibly by random selection. America adopted their way of speaking from a number of different influences from all over the world, due to colonialism. They're a mixture, as opposed to a pure solution. The American acent, or, now that I think of it, Americans as a whole, are thus less pure than, for example, the Irish or the British.

But I'm just using Americans as an example (don't get offended you yanks out there, I love you guys and want to go to California some day)

So there is definately discrete forms of pureness that seperate certain things from others.

With climbing, different people will have different opinions really. Many people dig trad, and understandibly so, because that's all people ever used to do until a few decades ago, and you can just like mission where ever. Some people say deep water solo climbing, which follows my reasoning with bouldering.

Post subject: Good Arguement
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:39 pm 

Johan good points!

Post subject: Justin
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:11 pm 

Please stop playing games? I suspect you are Mkboy. You post my messages in the wrong place, you make personal messages public and you won't allow a debate about affirmitive action.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:19 pm 

It's discrimination. In this case they discriminate against boulderers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:19 pm 

Drifter... this is your moderator speaking - I having been deleting your affirmative action posts.
I too have chopped some of your posts where you have gone 'off route' and applied a 'D\" in front of the subject line for the sake of all.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:31 pm 

I was raising a point. I think then you should then also delete postings with swearing in them. I think it is a double standard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:39 pm 

I agree Magnus, the endpoint to bouldering obviously isn't about earning respect. It's about playing on rocks. I myself, however, respect a lot of boulderers. Especially those that do highballs which are high enough to be a 4 bolt sport route, and at a grade of something like 7b+. That takes more balls and wild spirit than any other form of climbing, in my opinion. That's why \"boulders can be repected\".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:01 pm 

Drifter, please contact me offline should you wish to discuss the matter further.
Thank you.

Post subject: Sorry Justin
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:36 pm 

It is ok, I will leave it to rest.

I just like to say I cannot take responsibility for anyone elses behaviour on this website.

Jonah your langauge!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:14 pm 

I think a better, sustaining way to think about climbing is: ALL CLIMBING IS GOOD AND FUN!!!!!
Why, oh why do we always tend to feel sad/hurt/discriminated against in sport, e.g. surfer vs bodyboarders, ect ect???
Why not be VERY PROUD and SATISFIED that you chose to be part of a really great sport, no matter what part you play in it? Isn't about 'play' anyway? Personally I want to be know as a good belayer AND spotter, for all our sakes!
go climb! Trad, Sport, Indoor, Boulder, Solo(or maybe not that, hehehe), Buildering, but for forks' sakes, stop complaining. Enter at own risk however, 'cause we're responsible for our actions, aren't we?
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:10 pm 

HaHa.. I knew that would come sooner than later. Especially when there's hippy rock climber types around (which I'm not saying I'm not). Yobru you're absolutely right

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:16 pm 

Ay Drifter what language? I'm confused :shock: Quote me