Quantcast
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:10 pm 

Hello mate,
we plan to spend our holiday in rockand from 4 aug to 24 aug.
We're looking for some infos about the weather, the permissions needed to access the bouldering zones, where to buy guides, an so on.

Thanks a lot for yours informations.

See ya in place!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:58 pm 

he derfel dude

you can find a general description and information on Rocklands on this website in the \"routes\" section (under Western Cape). For some route descriptions & more general info go check out www.saclimb.co.za under their \"Route Guide Database\" section.

august is middle of the winter - chances of rain is very good (winter rainfall area) and possibly some snow. probably not the best time of year but i'm sure there will be some good days.

ciao Mok

Post subject: thanks a lot
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:49 pm 

Thanks for your infos, I hope we will find some goods days and not too much snow and rain.
Low temp is good for bouldering as you know :)

Do you know if in some places we can buy guides?

See ya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:17 pm 

a guide is supposed to be coming out soon courtesy of scott noy, but no definite news yet, you can also check out www.bouldering.co.za for topos or just ask some of the locals climbers to show you around when you arrive, i'm sure someone will oblige

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:21 pm 

mokganjetsi wrote:
...august is middle of the winter - chances of rain is very good (winter rainfall area) and possibly some snow. probably not the best time of year but i'm sure there will be some good days.

ciao Mok

Which is the best period in the year ?

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:29 pm 

i'm no expert on the area, but my guess is that the best time is spring and autumn - september to early november and late march to early june. weather can be dodgy anytime but this should be the best. summer can be incredibly warm and will restrict climbing to early morning and late afternoon.

From the saclimb website: \"Extremely hot in summer with sparse rainfall, spring, autumn and winter are the best times to visit the area although winter gets rather cold and often gets rainfall. There are often sudden weather changes.\"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:39 pm 

oh yeah, something else: in the western cape winter rain is mostly due to cold fronts, so you can trust the weather forecast with some certainty(www.weathersa.co.za). it seems like a lot of climbers do favor winter to climb at rocklands so it is probably not that bad.

Post subject: Rocklands weather
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:38 am 

Your timiming is perfect. I happen to live 4km from Rocklands and it snowed here only once in the past 8 years!! You will get some rain - usaually not more than a day or maybe two. Temp quite low at night - but normally around 18-22 C daytime, area guide for De Pakhuys area available at the farm and will be posted on www.bouldering.co.za in next week. Some Rocklands topo's available from same site.