It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Warning!
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:54 am 

I went to lower Silvermine on Saturday and we saw some shifty looking characters sitting on some rocks near where the abseiling area is at lower silvermine. They looked like they had a hard life( I guess they live in the mountain) and they were drinking on the rocks as we could see the bottles in their hands they were holding as they were shouting down at us, hallow and waving.

What worries me is that I think they might be up to no good. I thought about it afterwards and though maybe they are watching climbers come in and out of the parking lot and are waiting for some one to walk by themselves back to the mountain bike parking lot and then try and maybe mug them. They look like addicts and addicts get desperate to get money to support their habit. I am sure they know how to get to know the actually climbing areas at Silvermine.

I am going to report this to Silvermine National Park. I thought I would let you know so that you could be on the look out and would advice you not to walk from the lower Silvermine Parking(Mountain bike Parking lot) lot to the climbing area and back again by yourself. Actually I don't think it is safe to walk from any parking lot or anywhere ins Silvermine Nature Reserve by yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:33 pm 

WOW a warning coming from the guy that everyone has something too say about.

If Drifter was a big idiot as you guys make him out too be he wouldnt post a warning, now would he?

makes me think who the real idiots around here are.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:10 pm 

I would hardly take Drifter's judgment of character seriously. Let's not forget that the milkman used to give him fudge!
:roll:

Post subject: Re: Warning!
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:46 pm 

[quote="Drifter"] They looked like they had a hard life( I guess they live in the mountain) and they were drinking on the rocks as we could see the bottles in their hands they were holding as they were shouting down at us, hallow and waving.

he guest, do not be offended bud - i'm sure drifter wasn't aware that you and nosmo digs drinking on the rocks at the crag :lol:

(thanks for the warning dude)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:50 pm 

Drifter, glad you didn't stop & ask them for fudge, but by the sounds of it Gator would happily give you some.

Maybe someone should warn our \"shifty looking characters\" that Drifter's milkman gave him fudge & that they should not live hard in the mountains alone. Or \"hallow\"...I'm not a milkman!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:25 am 

Of course Drifter would know exactly what an 'addict' looks like. You shoulda had a swig of whatever it was they were drinking bru you would've flown up those routes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:43 am 

I've had a beer on a mountain before, but I'm not your milkman, so you can stop hinting pal. :lol:

You're just being nasty because you got turned down by a drunk bergie. Or were they hogging that 14 you were working?

No, but seriously, thanks for the warning dude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:15 pm 

Wow! it sucks to be drifter... no one takes him seriously. I didn't know drifter climbs at Silvermine - can someone identify him for me, does he have a real name? Sounds like i need to watch out for this character, i dont wont to end up recieving fudge from him while putting on my climbing shoes!

Post subject: Dodgy characters
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:14 pm 

Yeah I saw them dodgy characters. There were about four of them, all extremely drunk. They looked liked they had come from the nearby townships. It was quite threatening the way they were calling us, as if they wanted to mug us. I was worried that because they were positioned right above the climbing anchors, you never know what they could have gotten up to while we were climbing, like cut the rope or throw rocks down for example.

My concern is whether there is enough security in the Silvermine area, such as a few patrolling guards who could at least report dodgy suspects such as these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:55 pm 

Sigh. Ok, jokes aside...

Please report this to TMNP management. Not the gate guy, but the office at Westlake. They need to know that the climbing areas have now been *noticed* by dodgy types.

As you're all no doubt aware, the crime wave that's hit TM in the last year has extended as far as Silvermine, with reports of people being mugged in that part of the park. Although patrols have been stepped up, and 'other' measures initiated, we can expect more attacks. There are two types of problem characters. 1, the 'career' muggers. These are responsible for most of the attacks, by the sound of things. Reasonably well dressed, often sporting the 'car-guard' type bibs, and 2, the 'opportunists'. It sounds like the characters spoken about in the original post fall into the second group.
Both categories should be considered potentially violent.

It was only a matter of time before climbing crags get targeted as the easy pickings they are.

At this stage, please be vigilant, and report any incidents or even dodgy looking types, to this forum, and to park management.
Information is a good weapon for us. For starters, anyway.

be safe
Brent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:55 am 

tablemountain@sanparks.org

http://www.tiscover.co.za/za/guide/5za, ... ntern.html