Quantcast
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Standing on the rope
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:32 pm 

The problem with standing on your rope is not that you are squashing the rope because a sum belay device works on the principle that it squashes the rope to stop it from sliding but standing on the rope is not good because of below which I have quoted;

\"Why does everyone say not to step on the rope?\"
Because that grinds rock fragments, perhaps even glass particles that were on our shoe, into the rope, where they'll eventually cut the fibers. Granted, you'd have to step on the rope quite a bit to seriously weaken it, but why push things?\"

Post subject: Standing on the rope
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:21 pm 

The problem with standing on your rope is not that you are squashing the rope because a sum belay device works on the principle that it squashes the rope to stop it from sliding but standing on the rope is not good because of below which I have quoted;

\"Why does everyone say not to step on the rope?\"
Because that grinds rock fragments, perhaps even glass particles that were on our shoe, into the rope, where they'll eventually cut the fibers. Granted, you'd have to step on the rope quite a bit to seriously weaken it, but why push things?\"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:48 pm 

I have to agree with guest on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:33 am 

Uhm Drifter,

If you aren't clever enough to write you own sh*t, please atleast reference your source.

Quote:
Why does everyone say not to step on the rope?

Because that grinds rock fragments, perhaps even glass particles that were on our shoe, into the rope, where they'll eventually cut the fibers. Granted, you'd have to step on the rope quite a bit to seriously weaken it, but why push things?

?? What really bothers me is why you are visiting gay (literaly) hiking/climbing sites??

-twiga

EDIT: Post was accidentally and eronously addressed to guest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:23 am 

ag no drifter.

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:10 pm 

Not sure how long you guys have been climbing, but you might remember the Chris Lomax invented the \"foot belay\" sometime in the early 80's. The principle is simple. Dump the rope in a pile and let the leader start up the route. If (s)he falls, then stand on the pile of rope. No more mucking around with self-locking or otherwise belay devices...

Have a fun and safe weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:14 pm 

I am heterosexual however I have no problem with gay people. A person sexual preference is none of my business and its no one else's business either unless it is not between two consenting adults.

I go to many climbing websites, it doesn't bother me that the climbing website has gay people on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:20 pm 

Drifter, the 'tard, started off by saying \"I am heterosexual however I have no problem with gay people.\"

Then he says \"I have met some very nice gay people.\"

:D

What a homophobe!!!

Drifter, you dick, you dont have to lie to us, we're your friends. In all my years of googling about climbing I have NEVER come across the Gay climbers association...and somehow, you have...not by chance tho.

I have a problem with gay people, and if I find one of those cretins eyeing out my butt when I'm climbing I'll sack him in the teeth with a number 11 hex [about the only thing a #11 is good for]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:05 pm 

Guy did the rope not slip if your climber took a big fall? If I understand correctly when you see your climber falling you just jump on the rope?
Why isn't method used today? Is it because it is not safe? I have never seen anyone use that method and I have never tried it myself.
Have you tried this method? Does it work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:17 pm 

Yes it works perfectly. Please try it this weekend (as the climber not the belayer).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:54 pm 

It's a technique used by real men when trad climbing. I'm a nancy sport climber so I prefer the wussy option of proper belay devices with the belayer actually watching the climber (and other nonsense like dynamic belays etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:22 pm 

Drifter, how you manage to keep up your forum character absolutely amazes me...!! I'm just waiting for that small little stuff-up that's gonna reveal the real Drifter... :o

BTW (that's \"by the way\" Drifter..) there is no way someone that enjoys the great sport of climbing could be that dumb....unless you don't climb at all, and just enjoy taking the p*ss out of everyone on this site... either way, I still enjoy your retard post's.... :wink:

Post subject: F U C K Drifter to hell
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:34 pm 

Drifter is like a disease that has infected this entire forum and is destroying it. I hate reading his bullsh*t all the time. He has no knowledge and talks in circles to annoy people. He has bastardised almost every post on this forum and I've actually stopped coming here or wanting to post anything because it actually makes me sick to have to tolerate such a runt to society. Drifter, if you actually even ARE a climber, I hope your rope snaps. You need to be banned from this site because you have NOTHING TO ADD EVER! I, as Guest, might make many an annoying statement, however, you'll notice that I only post were my opinion is relevant. You are just a tired, boring loser whith no life who sits all day with his hand in his pants trying to p!ss people off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:44 am 

Stephan I am not taking the mickey out of anyone on this site. In the beginning I was joking around.

Post subject: wot a wally!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:51 pm 

Drift old boy (girl or whatever you are) replying to your own thread is seriously bad form. Look here, if you have something of interest to say then do give us a shout by all means, but really the drivel you spew forth in vast volumes here on a daily basis is quite beyond the pale! Now run along and go slip on some soap, or something...

Last edited by XMod on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:07 pm 

back to the subject,
standing on the rope ?
i find stomping (gently) on it, helps to organise it, when i'm belaying.
so that i get a nice clean flip on it.
the reason why, this practise is not a good idea, is because with the price of ropes in S.A. - your gonna want your rope to last as long as possible.
although, even if you are the most prudent of sport climbers, keeping the rope in a nice clean bag, taking it out only to climb routes you don't fall on. nylon does have a shelf life!