Quantcast
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:38 am 

\"We've used teflon for 25 years or so. Silicone is ok for an after treatment
but not so great for a factory job.

Wash ropes in cold to no more than lukewarm water. Use a mild soap [softsoap hand soap, dreft, ivory snow]. Be sure to COMPLETELY rinse all soap residue out or the rope will become dirty again very quickly. Soap residue will attract dirt like Coke in carpet. Loosely coil and air dry in the shade.\"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:31 am 

Just don't wash your freakin rope, period!! Sure, you dissolve some of the small dirt particles when washing it, but if you take good care of your rope by using a large enough ground sheet this shouldn't worry you.

The first (and last) time I washed my rope I was very unhappy with the results. Check my posting and the response from the manufacturer:

http://www.climb.co.za/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=865&highlight=washing

Besides, I believe the metal residue (or whatever it's called) from the belay device, draws and chains makes your rope much dirtier than anything else, and you're never gonna be able to stop that....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:40 am 

Agreed.
I had my last (sport) rope for 8 years and I never washed it once.
Keep it clean and out the dirt in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:53 am 

My personal belief is that you can get away without washing your rope. A well looked after rope doesn't need to be washed, I myself though have washed my rope once which is one and half years old, by putting it in a sink of cold water and soaking it for a while(about an hour) and then laying it out to dry inside for more than 24 hours. I don't personally want to use any soaps on my rope but that is just my personal choice. I just washed it with water.

Marshall how often do you wash your rope? If a person wants to wash their rope how often should they do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:36 am 

My personal belief is that you can get away without washing your rope. A well looked after rope doesn't need to be washed, I myself though have washed my rope once which is one and half years old, by putting it in a sink of cold water and soaking it for a while(about an hour) and then laying it out to dry inside for more than 24 hours. I don't personally want to use any soaps on my rope but that is just my personal choice. I just washed it with water.

Marshall how often do you wash your rope? If a person wants to wash their rope how often should they do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:27 am 

... Echo!.... :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:48 pm 

i washed my ropes with edelrid rope wash - came out perfectly clean, no soap residue (ran it through 2 rinsing cylces), handles well, tastes like chicken. nothing bad about it really.

4 months later and it is frickin dirty again.

ps: guest is drifter's evil twin brother? they're actually - oh no - one person? guest's mouth is big enough to echo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:58 pm 

See if you can find a free Ad-Aware SE Personal anti spyware download on google if you don't have an anti spyware program on your computer as I feel someone is putting cookies on peoples computers to get there passwords.

Also go to start--control panel---- click on Internet option icon and then on delete cookies button.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:06 pm 

Almost there Drifter.....3 more post's and you will become the first person to reach 300 post's...

If there was a \"hall of fame\" for posting on this site, you would be chairman.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:05 pm 

Mokganjetsi how often do you use your rope outside and how often do you wash it?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:28 pm 

This is reply I got from a rope manufacturer when I asked them how often should you wash your rope.

\"It depends on the environent in which you use the rope. I've seen industrial, rock scalers, window washers and the like wash ropes every week or two. Al ong as the correct soap and washing procedures are used it is ok to wash the ropes as often as you like. You can even use 1/4 cap of fabric softener in the wash water to restore lubricity [which = suppleness in the rope] to the rope fibers. Makes the rope smell good too.\"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:44 pm 

Drifter, please reveal you sources i.e. this so called \"rope manufacturer\"??

As far as I know from communications with Lanex, and from reading a bit about the topic when I wanted to wash my rope, fabric softener is an absolute no no!!!

Quote:
I've seen industrial, rock scalers, window washers and the like wash ropes every week or two.

The ropes used for industrial work and window washing is completely different to climbing ropes!!

Quote:
Makes the rope smell good too.\"

Ag please, its a rope for goodness sake, not a duvet cover!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:08 pm 

Stephan the person who wrote this supplies a top quality climbing rope to the market. I don't think he is taking the mickey.

Blue water ropes wrote me these e-mails. You can e-mail them yourself and take it up with them. I e-mailed blue water ropes twice, first time to ask if their rope was treated to prevent it from absorbing a lot of water and this time to ask them how often you should wash your rope.

http://www.bluewaterropes.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:08 pm 

I have washed a rope, that was after being soaked by waves at Morgans. That was twice. Have to recomend \"Swem Jannie Swem\" on Strandlooper Ledge. Ropes, like shoes, draws & chalk are consumables. They should be used up, not saved....much less washed.

The last 3 ropes I bought were second hand, plus a previous 50m (now tat) & 2X9mm. My current static, I found at Frazer's Gorge in The Transkei. It was green with slime, left by adventure racers a few months previous. This went for a swim at Frazers Falls. Does that count as washing?

Don't get too fussy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:07 am 

Drifter, tut tut, there is already a thread for this, and under the correct section..

http://www.climbing.co.za/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=439

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:15 am 

Thank you African Climber, I didn't know this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:00 am 

Dont know much do you? You know you dont have to sprout each new pearl of wisdom you pick up here!

PS Edelrid whipwash sucks! It leaches the teflon treatment out your rope, now my rope is all sticky! Great! Thanks Edelrid! And thanks to the wallys who borrowed it and made it filthy in the first place! -buy some decent draws guys, cheeess!

Post subject: F U C K Drifter to hell
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:56 pm 

Drifter is like a disease that has infected this entire forum and is destroying it. I hate reading his bullsh*t all the time. He has no knowledge and talks in circles to annoy people. He has bastardised almost every post on this forum and I've actually stopped coming here or wanting to post anything because it actually makes me sick to have to tolerate such a runt to society. Drifter, if you actually even ARE a climber, I hope your rope snaps. You need to be banned from this site because you have NOTHING TO ADD EVER! I, as Guest, might make many an annoying statement, however, you'll notice that I only post were my opinion is relevant. You are just a tired, boring loser whith no life who sits all day with his hand in his pants trying to p!ss people off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:00 am 

Well, he seems to be succeeding. :lol:

For the little my opinion is worth, I don't think it's worth it to get so worked up about it. *shrug* Either he is what he appears, an enthusiastic beginner eager to talk and learn about climbing, with a bit to learn about forum etiquette and accepted posting practices, or he's a troll.

Treat him as the former and it'll become clear whether he deserves such treatment. Treat him as the latter and either he'll abandon this (be honest, not always welcoming) little on-line community or he'll become what you accuse him of being even if he isn't anyway.

For all your sarcasm and abrasiveness you're usually a funny bastard Guest, and I almost always enjoy your posts, and even often agree with your logic. You seem to be taking Drifter a bit personally though. *shrug* Give the guy a break and a chance to get with the flow of things.

If he doesn't take it up with the mods or admin.

Drifter, I suggest using the appropriate forum for the topic you want to address, using the search function to see if the topic has been addressed already, (maybe you can just add to the discussion without starting a new topic), not double posting and...uh...that's about all I can think of for now. It'll do for a start. ;)

Take it easy guys. :lol: