It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:35 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: foreigner climber
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:11 pm 

Hi!
I'm visiting your country next month (i'm from Spain), and I probably will have some chances to do a visit to your rocks. I have searched in the internet where to go, but I'm not sure...too many doubts for just one or two escapes. Obviously I won't be able to use artificial items (friends, bicoins, etc), just express and shoes. My grade is nowadays 18 or maybe 19 (according to south africa classification, 6a-6a+ in europe). Can you tell me where can I go to climb?...I will be in cape town (and around...I mean...western cape) and Drakensberg.
Thank you all!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:15 pm 

I forgot something:
I will have a partner... :D
Anyway, I will be pleased to climb with natives...so if anyone is able and wants to...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:18 pm 

Cant speak for the cape cos I'm in jhb.
Drakensberg - almost all trad with generally dodgy rock. Big wild mountains. The sentinel has the best rock/friendliest walk-ins plus there's a 6-pitch bolted route.
Near the Drakensberg is Swinburne and Everest (both sport venues) at Harrismith. Tons of routes at all grades. Very beautiful although the rock can be bad in places. Everest has the better rock.
If you're anywhere near jhb come to the Magaliesberg. The Mountain Club has a meet most sundays and you'll be able to climb with people who have gear. Some of the most beautiful places around.
PM me if you want RD's/more info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:41 pm 

if you in and around cape town there are planty crags around the city-silvermine and the mine are probably your best bet at the moment. Out of town you should head to the cedarberg-rocklands and montagu.
You can get a guide book at one of the climbing shops (try city rock) that'll cover ot all.