Quantcast
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Climbing in schools
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:30 pm 

Hey guys,
I'm doing some research on climbing in South Africa for a report I'm writing.
I need some feed back as to how many schools offer climbing as a school sport. And which of those schools promote climbers to reach and climb at provincial levels.
Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:19 pm 

At CityROCK we encourage schools to come through to promote climbing amoung the youth.

We have schools such as Bishops, Bergvleit and International school of Hout Bay coming through on a regular basis.
SACS school is also very involved in climbing and Ceder house has recently joined the climbing community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:15 pm 

Hi there,

I´ll be interested to know how your report shapes up - as well as format that schools climbing / youth development takes.

I´ve just spent this past week at Montserrat (Spain) at a seminar hosted by the UIAA covering the specific topic of methods of climbing development amongst the youth and climbing as a tool for youth development.

The notes and outcomes of the seminar are being compiled by the Catalan climbing federation and will be distributed to delegates over the next few weeks. The results are also due to appear on their website \"feec.cat\" 8)

The climbing program at Ceder house is probably set up as part of the President´s Award program.

Bridge house is also intending inorporating a climbing program within their President´s Award program.

I am due to sit down with the President´s Award people when I get back to South Africa next month, so that the climbing protfolio of the program can be formalised according to UIAA guidelines for different agegroups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:48 am 

In The EC:

GHT, St Andrews has a climbing wall, Keith James runs Kingswood climbing.

PE, Woodridge has a bit of a wall & some small crags. Climbing forms part of their general program.

EL, Lillyfontein, on the East Coast Rd, has a wall & a club.

Last edited by Marshall on Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:34 am 

Hi there
I would also be very keen to see what you come up with. I have just come back from meeting with the IFSC, which is the Competition Climbing arm of the UIAA and they are keen for some big idea for our country. Email me off site so we can discuss this further. eric@adventureinc.co.za

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:13 pm 

St Peters Prep School in Fourways, Jozi have a bouldering wall, run in conjunction with the MCSA I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:14 pm 

St Davids Marist Brothers Inanda (Jhb) have an outdoor climbing wall and offer climbing as a sport.
Treverton Colege and Durban High School both featured teams at the Rory Lowther Challenge so you could have a look at them and see if they offer climbing as a sport or just sponsored some kids to climb.

Post subject: Climbing in Schools
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:56 pm 

Pretoria Boys High runs climbing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:29 am 

Perfect Wall in Stellenbosch offers climbing programs for all the stellenbosch schools (but it's not run through the school, it's run by Perfect Wall). I participated in the program for 2years whilst i was still in school! It was great and they introduced me to climbing outdoors as well.

Somerset College has their own bouldering wall. Perfect Wall staff goes over there to give classes 3 times a week.

If you want to contact the manager of the PW, their email is: wall@perfecthealth.co.za

Good luck,k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:34 pm 

Kloof high in Durban has a wall up the side of the hall and a bouldering wall.

I miss that school......
I tried to get climbing started at Benoni High when I was there, but met resistance as it was feared the golden boys (soccer & water polo) may be swayed to climbing!!

We've been going to some of the schools with our mobile climbing wall and its always a huge hit. I really want to get out to more and once the new Urban Crag opens up I want to set up climbing programs with the surrounding schools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:06 pm 

Western Province Preparatory School (WPPS) used to have a great climbing club. (Venture Club I believe it was called) It was well done, had its own room with loads of gear, ropes etc. We even went on a camp to Montegu (sp?) the one year. There was also a big climbing wall at the school. For a while they also had a great bouldering wall but I believe they took it down. The good guys were encouraged to compete in the waterfront competition when it was still around. I was in the club when I was at school there.

Somerset College has a climbing wall, I'm not sure what else.

Reddam House Constantia had a guy who came in and took students climbing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:32 pm 

Standford lake college / highschool in Magoebaskloof has an outdoor climbing wall - I think it is more used as part of adventure races though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:31 am 

Thanx guys, this has been a real help. I am beginning to realize the size of the climbing community in South Africa. As Vice Climbing Gear we aim to support the growth of this sport, and at school level is where it all begins.
Keep it up guys

Post subject: KZN Schools
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:20 pm 

Here is a breakdown of climbing in KZN Schools:

The following schools offer it as an official sport: Kloof High School, Thomas More College and Primary, Durban High School, Treverton college, Pinetown Girls high, Westville girls high, Waldorf (Even have theeir own crag!) Hillcrest primary. (I am sure I missed out a few). There are a number of other schools that encourage it, but it has not become 'official'. There are also some teachers trying to get it going. I know of 6 other schools that were very acvtive in the past, but faded when the enthusiastic teacher moved on. There has been a regular League (used to be 4, but now 3 events in a year. It has been running continously sine 1990. (Some sort of record I think. ) For the last 3 years there has also been a bouldering league.

Awards (merits, clours and honours) are given by schools to top climbers.

Most of the schools mentioned above have adequate and some impressive bouldering and climbing walls.

Unfortunately, of the 100+ climbers who compete during the year, very few go on to make it a passion after school. There are some well known climbers chomping through the top ends of the grades who were introduced through schools.

But - when a teacher or parent body move on, it fizzles away. In some schools it has become a part of the system, but in others it is tolerated by some idiots who call themselves educators and have no idea what it is all about.

Another problem is that there are to few 'instructors'. yes, some have pieces of paper showing their qualification', but can only really prussic, abseil past a knot and show off lots of fancy knots. There experience is minimal.

The point I am getting to - I am sure there is a National Organistion of some sort that can share its passion and experience and gets the lighties of the plastic, onto cliffs and ultimatly into the mountains?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:30 pm 

@Camp

You sir! Sound like just the eminently qualified and enthusiastic volunteer with the right track record and credentials that said National Organization of some sort would need to get this party started. I predict a downhill struggle to get buy in from the brass.

I salute and support you in your endeavour. Will you stand alone, or do I hear others?

Post subject: Schools and so on.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:20 pm 

Come to think of it, there already is a National Body. Can't rememebr what it's name is, but I think you need to be able to grow a beard in three days to join.

Re provincial representation - there used to be a regular National (read Natal/ Transvaal (dates it somewhat) held in Durban and/or somwhere n Pretoria or JHB. These no longer happen. In fact two winners of the National event went of to Moscow in an international event.

Post subject: Re: Schools and so on.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:36 am 

Camp wrote:
Come to think of it, there already is a National Body. Can't rememebr what it's name is, but I think you need to be able to grow a beard in three days to join.

I believe this requirement has been relaxed in recent times. I note many young tigers who participate in said National Body no longer sport the requisite facial adornments.

Regarding international comps (Moscow etc.) said National Body is affiliated to the Governing International Body that endorses competitions and is therefore entitled to send representatives to World Cup events. Unfortunately a suitable selection process is no longer in place. Apparently all the folks who used to organize our National events eventually ran out of steam and there were no Young Tigers to keep the momentum going...