Quantcast
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: What pad to buy?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:59 pm 

Im in the market for a new boulder pad. Did the costing exercise to make my own, but the foam really is expensive. You can end up with a nice big pad 2x1m (standard size) but the foam and close cell rubber alone will cost R1300-R1600. So maybe it is worth spending a bit more for a descent pad! What would you recommend?

As I normally boulder alone the bigger the pad the better. Is the Mad Rock triple pad worth it (+/- R2700 MMO) or should I then rather consider 2 pads, any tips or great deals in Cape Town area? It’s quite a bit of money to part with and I know there are some real avid critics out there.
:idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:32 pm 

I'm also trying to decide. My favourite big pad is the Franklin Mondo II. It's super comfortable to land on, has good shoulder and waist straps and buckles. It also has a nice texture and folds up neatly. It is fairly big though and doesn't have a material flap that seals the bottom so you can toss in loose items.

http://gearx.com/franklin-mondo-ii-crashpad.html

I also hear lots of people raving about Organic Pads which you have to order online

Interested to hear what others have to say...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:51 am 

Without sounding to much like a sales man, check out our boulder mats on our web page. They are locally made and great all rounders with a ground coverage of 1450mm x 950mm. Without such a hefty price tag.
www.vice.co.za

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:13 pm 

Just spoke to the guy from Mad Rock, they are out of stock until early next year! So no triple Mad Pad for me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:17 pm 

Steroids, It would be great to know what the price tag is but the web site doesn't say and the order form link doesn't work. Same for your other products. I get the impression that the website is under development?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:21 pm 

I think City Rock sells them for +/-R1300

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:06 pm 

Correct, we started to sell the pads online to promote them, but now that we can supply to retail stores we obviously do not want to be in competition with our own clients so we decided to take the order form off the website.
Contact Nestus as City Rock and he will be able to help you out.
Otherwise read about our gear in the next issue of SA Mountain Magazine.

Post subject: pads
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:26 pm 

We sell the Vice pad at CityROCK. R1,450. Mad Rock Double Pad R1,650. Bluewater Samurai pad R1,850.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:49 pm 

My pads coming together. Might be a bit heavy! I think I over did the density thing. But I can always replace with lesser dense foam. Sondor (check their web site) is the place to go for close cell foam. The EVA (Expanded Vinyl Asetate) is the foam to use. It has a memory and will retain its shape. It comes in different densities. 30kg/m3 to 250kg/m3. I used the 60kg/m3 but would maybe reconsider the 30kg/m3 (Used for gym mats). In between the 25mm EVA close cell foam I sandwich the 50mm chip foam (Open cell). This makes for 100mm of fully shock absorbent material. When you compress the EVA it feels soft, but once pressure is applied over and area it really absorbs the load. In hind site I would have bought softer inner open cell foam (mattress) to make the landing more comfortable. The EVA takes out all the nasty rock impact, whiles the softer foam allows for absorbing your body weight!

Now the External hard wearing protective layer. Canvas/Nylon/Cordura!!!! I settled with a Nylon outer casing (Also called Cordura) It took some shopping around, but I eventually found it! Not the thickness of my Franklin Climbing Pad but almost there. It is being stitched together at the moment and hopefully next Wednesday I should have a triple pad of hybrid design. It will concertina like the mad rock triple pad. 3 off 600mm by 1000mm pads giving a total area of 1,8mx1m.

The price =\\- R1, 800 bucks! So if you’re not up to it or not an engineer like me definitely rather by one. I recon I will save R1000 bucks on a triple pad, but as it is an trial and error exercise, it might end up to be more expensive!

Anyway for all you guys out their trying their own thing hope this helps. If you need more info or some fotos let me know! O yes any comments or suggestions let them flow.
ericd@sutheng.co.za
:P