Quantcast
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:09 am 

Has anybody climbed at Wellingtons Dome during December? If so, what is the temperatures like, and would you suggest going there during this time of the year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:18 am 

Hey Stephan

Yes, I have climbed Wellies in December, it is hot, f**king hot. Probably best to climb in the afternoon as the face is in the shade then. Expect temp of 30+ degrees. My partner and I climbed for 2.5 hours and drank 6 litres of water.

The camping is good - farmer Jaap is a legendary party animal, so be prepared to drink some brandy and coke when you get down.

The granite is great - go, you'll enjoy it......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:43 pm 

Haven't been there in summer, but judging by the warm winters and general idea of how hot it gets there in summer and add to that all the shade ;-) - you'll have to be very convincing to get me there this time of year. The sarcophagus might have shade though. Pack some extra sun tan lotion and LOTS of water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:03 am 

Stephan, yeah climbed there in Dec.... friggen hot dude! Plan to be at the start of the climb before sunrise and take loads of water. Other than that there is not much you can do to beat the heat. I couldnt keep my shoes on for long periods either, just way too hot! On the up side, if you're nice to Jaap and take him a bottle of Wellingtons he may let you utilise his pool and drink copius amounts of beer! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:15 am 

It is indeed hot at Wellingtons in December but with careful planning you can still enjoy the climbing.
Some useful tips:
1- don't party too much with Jaap, you'll never climb in that heat with a babalas.
2- the sun goes over the dome after 1pm which puts routes like Older, Slower, Wiser and the routes on Goat Face in the shade. After 2pm the main wall is in the shade but the rock will be roasting hot for a while still.
3- you can work all the routes on the Sarcophogus in a day by moving with the shade.
4- if you want to climb on the main wall, start very early, like 6am.
5- take lots of water. I find climbing with a camelback, even on lead, helps to stay hydrated.
6- there is a lekker shady lunch spot in the descent gully behind the top of the routes on the main wall.

Enjoy the climbing up there and say hi to Jaap for me.