Quantcast
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:53 pm 

Does anybody have any info on bouldering in the Groot Winterhoek area? I have noted a certain Cape boulderer involved with some development in the area...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:35 pm 

ive heard the boulders are sparse with some long walkins. But it might be ok in summer since it gets cloudy when the southeaster blows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:49 pm 

Sparsity. Interesting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:13 pm 

I've heard it's not worth it, don't bother...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:44 am 

Spoke to some people who said the same thing, really not worth the walk in...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:53 am 

Yeah, been there myself a couple of times, i dig hiking, so for me the walk-in is a breeze, but must confess that class areas around cape-town like red-hill, newlands forest boulders etc. host problems of a far superior quality than those i saw in GW, sfc!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:57 am 

I would just like to know if anyone has contact details of this Leon du Toit oke, i have been bouldering in the riverbed in bk a bit the last year or so and wanted to talk to him about collaberating on writing a topo/guide for the area?
I know of a cluster, somewhere, heahahahah, ooh funky....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:21 pm 

i heard that the bouldering in GW is cool if you're a hiker and a nature lover. but i've also heard that this du toit oke is not the only one climbing in these areas. the grape-vine has it that there's an unkown bloke from cape town with his dog and another stealth south korean sfc that frequent the unknown territories of bk.

i've driven through bk myself, but won't do it again - it's a very scary pass to drive, what with all those high steep cliffs on the side, crazy apes sitting next to the road, and near gale force winds howling down the valleys - truly not worth the risk. not even for a funky cluster or two. i'll take my chances in the gym where i know i'm safe, thankyou very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:45 pm 

On that note - I would just like to take this opportunity to promote the Perfect Wall gym in Stellenbosch. Its very safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:10 am 

The guy with the dog is JC of N...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:17 am 

Oh ja, if any of you have ever climbed with JC you'll know that there is nothing to fear... having him around even brings a certain sense of safety to a climbing gym.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:25 pm 

Hey Jeanpant. I don't quite know why some of the people on here think that groot winterhoek (gw) and bains kloof (bk) are not worth it. I thought they are pretty amazing, could be next big bouldering area for the Western Cape after rocklands. Also its only 40 mins from cape town which is great. Anyway I'm busy with a guide for both these places with digtal pics and the works. The areas are quite big with tons of boulders so it will take quite a while. Any help with pics and problem names/grades would be much appreciated. In the mean time, if anyone would like to go there I'll be more than happy to show you around. My email is:

jmcblanche@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:31 am 

Hey Juri and Willpower. Did you see the last post? There is a topo on the way!! Mad sickness!

With the topo we can track this Leon guy down and send all his projects! Yeah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:41 am 

Hey friend 1.0. Is the Perfect Wall realy that safe? I climb at gym in Cape Town and most of the routes have these crazy run outs with potential for 10m whippers over very exposed climbing. Also, the bouldering area has a lot of loose holds with bad landings.

If the Perfect Wall is so much safer , i would rather make the trip and come set up a bivvy on the wall for the weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:42 am 

Jeanpant, already gave all my info on bk to SouthAfricanMan, he is the pioneer in those areas, must commend his efforts,sfc. Don't know if it is the next best thing though, a couple of boulders in the river, mighty walk-ins to other elliminate-ridden lines and that damn south-easter might deter most climbers though i dig struggling and climbing crap, because you know that is what it's all about, just pure energy. SouthAfricanMan, drop me an e-mail if you'd like a tour of what I have found, leon du toit is reluctant to show me what he has found, maybe the stuff he's opened does not even exist at all and he's just out to be #1 in the rankings or something. :D

WVJMSP@sun.ac.za

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:29 pm 

You are a good man Juri, sharing your new areas with the world. I must agree though, Bains Kloof is crap, and i wouldn't climb there again if you paid me to...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:05 pm 

wow

a topo for gw, with digital pictures!!!! i cant wait to see it. must be the saMan whose chalk is all-over the place... last time when i went hiking there in the good old gw it was tickmarks everywhere

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:04 pm 

That topo is gonna be sick madness bru! Pity it's gonna take so long, dunno why, seeing that there are so few problems, must be the abundant variation lines though! Willpower I feel happy, there are some things, expanding things, beautiful things, scary things, big things, hard things, perfect things, in this world, obviously known to SaMan, which, well, fuck!It makes me happy ok, dammit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:50 pm 

thanks to all the guys who emailed me with info on these areas. I think if we pool all our information together we'll end up with a pretty cool guide. Hey Juri, I didn't get your email, could you please send it again so I can add it to what I already have. Also as far as I know the river itself doesn't have any cool problems but please send me that info anyway. A couple of us from Cape Town are going up the weekend after this, so if you want to come with just mail me: jmcblanche@gmail.com. We'll probably all meet at the parking lot outside the UCT climbing wall. Maybe if we can get Ed and Marijus and some of the strong guys from CT to come with they can open some of the harder projects. sorry I don't have their numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:06 pm 

\" He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb; one cannot fly into flying.” Why boulder if you can climb some routes at the Mine?

Since the late '90s, scientists have become increasingly interested in the effects of falling on boulderers. Only within the past few months, however, has a broad experimental and clinical approach to the subject been manifest; within this period the most extensive and definitive studies have been undertaken since 1990.

Few medical questions have stirred such public interest or created more scientific debate than the bouldering-injury phenomenon.While recovering from a shattered ankle, reporters caught up with bouldering legend Dave Gill while enjoying a latté at Café Solé, the locally famous coffee shop, in Boulder, Colorado. \"I heard of people getting hurt, but I never believed it. I think this is a serious blow to the sport of bouldering. If people know their risk of getting injured is greatly increased while bouldering, they might drop bouldering altogether and go back to sport climbing where there is much less risk.\"

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:46 pm 

jeanpant wrote:
Hey friend 1.0. Is the Perfect Wall realy that safe? I climb at gym in Cape Town and most of the routes have these crazy run outs with potential for 10m whippers over very exposed climbing. Also, the bouldering area has a lot of loose holds with bad landings.

If the Perfect Wall is so much safer , i would rather make the trip and come set up a bivvy on the wall for the weekend.

Hey jeanpant - sorry i took so long to reply... was opening a new route on the far left side of the Wall (Abseil Tower Area). It's quite a walk in but the quality of the wall is awesome.

Yeah i've travelled around a bit as well and in my experience we have all the quality climbing we need right here in Stellenbosch...come give the Wall a try - actually, send me an e-mail and I'll forward you some topo's....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:50 am 

Mad sickness Friend 1.0! Don't worry about the walk in, i dig epic struggles with nature.

You'll check my bivvy on the Main Wall this weekend. What size rack must i pack?