Quantcast
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: cobra at redhill
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:32 pm 

just a warning.went bouldering at redhill today and was walking along the path when a big cobra came out the bushes right infront of me and stood up and reared its hood.had a heart attack on the spot but thank god it didnt bite which surprised me considering how close it was to me,instead it just turned around and pissed off back up the path.
just shows how you look ahead of you but cant see whats lurking in the bushes on the side of the narrow path.now i gonna be sh*!*ing myself every time i go bouldering :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:06 am 

Cant believe there are snakes out there, even at the crags. Terrible. Do you think they mean us harm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:20 am 

The best way to deal with this is to adopt Holwill's approach and NEVER walk at the front of the que (to or from the boulders). That way snakes are no longer your problem, they're your friends in fronts. This goes hand in hand with the saying that goes \"There are two types of problems, yours & mine! Don't make your prblems mine.\"

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Not sure how you would implement this if you were heading out alone. Any sugestions Guy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:48 am 

You should NEVER walk third either.

If the snake is asleep on the path then:
The first person wakes it up.
The second person pisses it off.
And the third person gets bitten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:19 am 

Mark, solution: get a small slow moving fluffy dog and make the little fella walk ahead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:39 am 

haha,thats actually a good idea.dont think they intensionaly meen harm though cos he coulda easially biiten me but decided to move along-lucky-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:01 pm 

As long as the dog doesn't hound Guy... everything will be ok ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:39 pm 

Mat - the only reason it didn't bite you is because it enjoyed seeing the fear in your eyes. It is well understood that snakes are evil, cruel creatures designed specifically to hurt and induce fear.

I have to agree that this is one instance when dogs are useful - dog lovers should hire them out to people like me, and then take them back before they start eating poo and licking me.

There appears to be no safe place to hide - I recently saw a documentary where they showed a Cobra going along the bottom of a river looking for frogs...

Going climbing alone is not an option for me. I've honestly considered giving up climbing because of my very healthy fear of snakes (I once moved a Euro climbing trip forward by 2 weeks after seeing a monster puff adder).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:45 pm 

I suspect its a resident there as I saw it a couple of weeks ago, perhaps we can get the Parks Board to relocate it to Bains Kloof?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:48 pm 

The chances of it being the same one are minute - there are millions of them out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:57 pm 

Came across a bunch of snakes in Rocklands this year. The Puff Adders up there are darker than the one's in the Southern Cape which makes them quite hard to spot, and the Western Black Spitting Cobras look very bad-ass indeed but are extremely beautiful creatures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:08 pm 

You okes talk kak, there aint any snakes out there.
I never see any.
Mate of mine who is completely paranoid about them runs into them all the time.
I guess its the law of attraction?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:42 am 

haha! its true. It's the same about people who go on about crime all the time seem to be the ones who get their car windows smashed!

Metaphysics - ruler of our planet

If you dont wanna see snakes then it helps to 'walk tall'. Snakes have brilliant sense of vibration, and can feel a creature approaching from far away just by the vibrations. That's why they are often LONG gone before you get to where they were. I did an experiment once where I walked really lightly, slowly and quietly up a path on TM. I saw 3 snakes on that walk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:59 am 

It's definately a bit of chicken and egg - the people who are afraid of snakes see them more often, but it could be that they are scared because they actually see these evil, cruel monsters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:59 am 

Unless it's a puffy 8a_climber, the fat lazy buggers won't move if you're 2 feet or 10 feet tall with a boep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:07 am 

Quote:
Unless it's a puffy 8a_climber, the fat lazy buggers won't move if you're 2 feet or 10 feet tall with a boep.

True, those snakes scare me. The damage they cause when they bite is pretty frightening. Puff adders were invented by Satan himself. Another snake to keep an eye out for is the Rinkals. They are super aggressive and a bite from one of these will pretty much end it off for you, especially if you're out somewhere remote.

My biggest fear climbing is pulling up onto a ledge and coming face to face with a sunbathing snake. This is why rule number one of climbing is to have an unsuspecting rope-gun always!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:41 am 

I used to collect snakes so fear is not an issue for me :D

BUT

I had an experience with a cobra once that gave me newfound respect. I was on my way to wolfberg when I saw a snake dead in the road. So my dad and I stopped to investigate (I have a morbid sense of fascination with some things)

Well the snkae had shammed death and was in fact very much alive and well. It reared up and then chased us back to the car! after about 20m it gave up and shot off into the bushes...but it was a very interesting experience and man did it move fast!

As another incident I had a mate abseiling off the rap anchors on lower buttresses, and he landed almost squarely on top of a puffy lying sunning itself. A couple of months later also at lower buttresses I saw a boomslang that was sunning itself in the tree under which my partners girlfriend was relaxing...

But overall they are shy and not often seen. In seven years of climbing I have seen a dozen of them and I keep my eye peeled because I love snakes so much :wink:

Happy climbing!
Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:31 am 

Brussel, what type of snake was that in the road as it is VERY seldom that any snake will actually chase you (unless your name is Guy). It would need a lot of provoking (someone like Guy) to do so.

Post subject: more snake stories
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:36 am 

Here's a story that should cause Guy to question his \"never be first\" rule. In fact it should give him reason to consider long and hard exactly where he should place himself in the walking line.

Four of were walking out of Boulder Kloof along a fairly narrow path, with the last being a keen snake collector. Anyway at some point, Mr Snake Collector announces to the person in front of him that she had just nearly stepped on a puffadder. Since Mr Puffie was lounging across the path, this meant that number 1 and 2 (me) in the walking line had also stepped over the puffie without noticing a thing. In other words 3 people had stepped right over the puffadder without noticing a thing and it only took the keen eye of the expert snake collector to spot the thing. Needless to say ever since, every path I walk along receives an ongoing and intense inspection.

As an aside, the more interesting part of the story is that Mr Snake Collector then picked up the snake (not by its head), studied it carefully and then made a pronouncement on its sex. The rest of us observed from a fair distance and took his word on the snake's sex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:00 pm 

I was climbing with Hector one time at Jim's Crag in Mpumalanga and came across a snake on the belay ledge in was trying to set up a stance on. I didn't plan on sticking around so down climbed some of the pitch to take a hanging stance to the left of the nice ledge. We named the route \"Serpent Surrender\".

Another friend of mine found a big puffy sleeping in the bottom of his tent at Cederberg Kloof. It had spent the night with him and they only found it in the morning. Scary stuff :?

The nastiest beasty to come across in bush would be a Black Mamba. Geez they can get big and have a reputation of being agressive when they feel threatened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:50 pm 

8a_climber

Quote:
Another snake to keep an eye out for is the Rinkals. They are super aggressive and a bite from one of these will pretty much end it off for you, especially if you're out somewhere remote.

Actually it is all show, they will rear up and hiss at you and if still threatened they will spit venom(you dont want this in your eyes). Their last resort is to feign death, if you investigate further and try pick the little critter up it will bite! This is standard behavior of typical cobras.

I’ve been fortunate(unfortunate) to have had encounters with these chaps at least six or seven times and have found by just moving away it diffuses the situation. However on one occasion I noticed the bugger at the last second and was almost standing on it with it's reared head up to my thigh, needless to say I launched myself and my 40kg pack about 6 meters down the trail. The rinkals retreated victorious into long grass.

Lesson learned: Be aware but don't fear. They are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:49 pm 

Stu

In answer to your question:

I am not 100% sure what it was. It looked like a western black spitting cobra. Totally black with no distinct markings, but it is the rhinkals that feins death... so I am not sure..
Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:45 pm 

Yeah that's what I was thinking, cobra's are known to attack if provocted - scary thought and good to know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:38 am 

I was belaying at Shlabatini once when a Cobra that had been disturbed by the lclimber somewhere above and had got itself into trouble trying to get out of the climbers way missed an obvious crimp and plummeted down and landed a meter away fo me. Dazed and confused it reared up and we stood face to face for the entire climb as I could not move away being tied in and all. Every time I fed rope of it flared its head but it did not move away. Only after lowering the climber to the ground and us moving away did it hurry away in the opposite direction. - Goes to show they are very reluctant to strike and will only do so if really provoked. BTW there is a lovely BIG one that lives near the entrance to the Left wings in Boven. Karen V, Dirk S and myself saw it on the path. It to reqared its head but moved off qickly once it saw we were not a danger to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:42 am 

After Colin's incident with the Cobra and the other story about the puffadder in the tent - I will never climb in the Magaliesberg again. If either of those two events had happened to me, I would have quit climbing and moved to Ireland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:45 pm 

Guy perhaps you should invest in one of these:

and drink kegs of Guinness all day long, I'm sure you'll never see a snake again... ever! :lol: