Quantcast
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Knysna Bouldering
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:09 pm 

Does anyone know of any bouldering spots or places with bouldering potential near Knysna?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:23 am 

I've not spent a massive amount of time looking, but I didn't find anything. The nearest bouldering that I know of is the Robberg in Plett, but I can't vouch for the quality as it was probably 6 years ago that I was last there and I'd just started climbing.

Post subject: Re: Knysna Bouldering
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:49 pm 

Hey Georg. Found some tricky little bouldering spots out in Brenton on sea near castle rock but just know that the sandstone there is coarse, it's gonna chow your hands and watch out it often crumbles as well. I also know that at coney glen there's some sweet bouldering. I live out in Knysna as well so for details call me. 0828091006 Jared@so-ca.co.za. If you also find anything good let us know. Anybody know where the closest bolted route is????

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:41 am 

dom wrote:
I've not spent a massive amount of time looking, but I didn't find anything. The nearest bouldering that I know of is the Robberg in Plett, but I can't vouch for the quality as it was probably 6 years ago that I was last there and I'd just started climbing.

I've done bits and bobs on Robberg. Theres a nice wall just round to the left as you come down the steep bit of the path with a bit of traversing on, you need to avoid falling on the bench though. A bit further on from here, there are a few obvious boulders just where the path leads right and down to the beach. There are a couple of obvious boulders with some nice probs, and on good rock. These are all on the conglomerate rock. I also did a fairly highball arete on sandstone with big pockets off a wave cut platform, but would struggle to remember where. It wasn't far from the beach on the W side.

AFAIK climbing is not allowed though, so be sensible / keep a low profile and avoid entering any archeologically sensitive areas. And beware sea and waves!

There might be some stuff around the Knysna heads, the rock quality might be a bit dubious though.

Post subject: Re: Knysna Bouldering
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:49 am 

Hey...we have found a lot of bouldering around George, but it is localised and spread out big time. The two best spots we have found are on the karoo side of the Outeniqua pass towards uniondale. The one is at Camfer just above the railway station and the other boulders are further down the road. All on the right side of the road if you are heading towards Uniondale. The second set of boulders is on a private farm and requires permission. Best to contact Fearless Indoor Climbing Centre for more information. There is still major need for developement. At Camfer there are a lot of easier problems in the 6A-6C range and at the other spot we have put up a few 7A's and are working some projects in the 7B to 7C range.....there is also pepsi pools which is accessed by going through the Saasveld campus to Tierkop and then walking to pepsi pools....there is not much here but a classic 6C+ and 7A+ have been put up and an awesome 6B+ all on the same boulder..there are other boulders but not of the same quality. Another spot to check out is around the left rocky point of glentana beach. Lots of easy fun climbing with no need for a pad cos the landing is soft sand :) Rock is good and hardest problem is around 6C. Hope this helps :)