It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:14 pm 
Hallo,

Can You advise me what are the best big walls in South Africa. We would like to climb some harder routes on the granite, maybe to open some new one. There are no good photos of multipith rocks on internet, so please help me.

Thank You very much
Ivan Mincik , Slovakia, Europe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:31 pm 
There are no big granite walls in SA (only Paarl Rock, which is a crag), but plenty of sandstone/quartzite walls. Some unclimbed, others with excellent routes.

The Spitzkoppe are in Namibia, and there is plenty of unclimbed granite in Zimbabwe, but I doubt that the political situation will help, along with unbearable heat. Also lots of granite in Mozambique, but summer and malaria are on the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:47 am 
If you want to open some routes... there are thousands of cracks that are waiting near Queenstown. But its dolorite & only up to 140m. But there really are thousands of untouched lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:30 am 

http://www.alardsbigwallclimbing.com/ has a few pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:51 pm 
Best big walls: Blouberg, Slanghoek, Du toits peak, Yellowwood amphitheater, Klein Winterhoek and lots lots more, not really big walls on a global scale up to 500m high but still big on adventure. Contact one the branches of the Mountain club of SA and check out their back copies of journals for details.
www.mcsa.org.za
Bigger granite walls in surrounding countries check allards site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:30 pm 
The quality of granite in SA is not the same America for example. The grain is much rougher and therefore is not as featured, cracks ect. Paarl Rocks is your best bet for the Western Cape (near Cape Town) and consists of 3 domes with some great 4 pinch routes which are mostly bolted.
All the decent big walls around are sandstone with some great routes, there is space for more but be warned I would not come here to open big walls... but that depends on your time? Contact me for more detail if you want: scottnoy@yahoo.com

Post subject: thanks a lot
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:19 pm 
thank You very much guys for a lot of infos. I am going to show this to my partner.