It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:32 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: bouldering in Pretoria?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:11 pm 
Just moved to Pretoria. Can anyone tell me whether there is anywhere to boulder here, close enough for a quick fix after work? Also, I'm assuming the nearest climbing routes are in the Magaliesberg?
many thanks
Jude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:27 pm 

Hey Jude (sorry - you must get a lot of that!)

You could try Faireglen hill on Gen Louis Botha, near Menlyn, nothing great, but it rock, I have also spied some impressive boulders in the moraletta spruit on watermeyer street that require some attention.
Bronkies - 50km away, magalies 70 km away,

Woodlands Mall has very interesting pillars - but the rocks are not stuck down well (no dont ask) ...

Post subject: Pta bouldering
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:52 pm 
The bouldering at Watermeyer Rd is not that good-only one decent problem if you want to get info e-mail me. Closest crag for sports climbing is Chosspile at Hartebeespoort Dam and at Bronkhorstspruit. Fairie Glen is a waste of time.

shaggyJC@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:32 am 

There used to be a sport crag called Bavianskloof that used to rock. :lol:
I was last there about 8? years ago, crime unfortunately shut it down.
It was near a sewage farm close to the Bavianskloof prison. There were 2 or 3 crags, even some multi-pitch stuff. Tembesa however grew right up to the crag area and people starting getting mugged and stuff. :evil:
I wonder if anyone still climbs there?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:40 pm 
Rastaman wrote:
There used to be a sport crag called Bavianskloof that used to rock. :lol:
I was last there about 8? years ago, crime unfortunately shut it down.
I wonder if anyone still climbs there?

The Magaliesberg (Pretoria) section of the MCSA was supposed to have meet there a month or two ago. The plan was to take as little as possible, organising a guard and going in a big group (did something similar in the past). After arriving there it was decided not to go to the crag following a discussion of one of the local security guards who indicated that the crime levels and unsavory (and armed) characters that dwell there makes it too risky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:57 pm 
Many thanks for the info. Crikey, looks a bit thin on the ground then around here. I spotted a little lay-bye on Tom Jenkins drive near the top, little strip of rock, has anyone ever tried bouldering there? I'll check out Watermeyer St when I get a chance.
Thanks again

Post subject: Boulders
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:13 am 

Hi Jude,

Despite what the opinions are on the bouldering possibilities, I have seen several huge boulders in the Moraletta spruit area. If you park at the BP next to the Cotton Board Building and head north, staying quite high on the side of the hill – there is sum stuff in the undergrowth that begs exploring. I have not had an up close and personal with them, so I cant comment on the potentials, but its there!

Let us know if you find something.

Post subject: Pta bouldering
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:48 am 
we've checked out a bit of the stuff that you're talking about. Not that great but about 4-5m high.

Also make sure you go with a few people because there are vagrants in the area. I once went there and being as handsome as I am, I had to hot foot it out of there quickly :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:05 pm 

Hi there,

There is a site close to my house (might be a bit far for you), it's about 10km north of Roodeplaat dam, there are quite a number of boulder problems, the rock there will probably keep you busy for a couple of weeks, there is also potential for a number of multipitch routes. It's on private land, but I have negotiated access with the owner, drop me a pm if you are interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:02 pm 

Hey Twiga, I have sent you a PM. Keen to check out the area. Do you have any photos?

j

Post subject: livin astro
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:34 pm 
hey scotty,u still around eh? I thought the rockaddicts all moved down to kaapstad. still cranking hard then? scouring the highveld for a decent boulder! ha ha, peace:)