Quantcast
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:45 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:03 am 
Did Cathy carry the journalist fellow up there against his will so he would die? Was he forced some how? He chose to be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:13 am 
Judging by the number of hits this pages gets and the interest and strong feeling it evokes, its almost worth suggesting that we have a group counselling cession for concerned climbers to come to grips with the **** that resulted. There is this line in a movie that comes to mind …”Whooosaaaa” – while we all rub our earlobes….

Ciao

Chalk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:15 am 
don't be such a fence sitter cathy is the queen b*tch!

Post subject: of course
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:28 am 
I have infinite respect for Ed and ADK for leaving the expedition when they did. In fact, it is one of the most inspiring and philosophical events I have heard of. To me, the whole thing is that, besides achievements and conquering, it's about being real and human, and I fully agree with the idea of having fun in this sport and avoiding assholes like cathy and co. It means far more to me that they walked away becuase they made the ultimate statement. Whats the point of climbing a mountain which you might die on with people who treat you like crap? Cathy and the conquerers need to learn that most definitive great high altitude challenges have already been achieved and really it boils down to wanting to hang out and experience things with cool people. The Cape old boys are THE most hardcore climbers around but they just dont run around telling everyone how great they are. They had brilliant foresight to feel the onset of a tragedy and their actions were just. Big up to the old lions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:48 pm 
I heard Ed & Adk were feeling cold & sick so they went down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:52 pm 
thats cause your ignorant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:18 am 
Their wimpering has nothing to do with my ignorance. I also hate being cold & sick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:39 am 
Wake up guys, you are on a major expedition to probably the most sought after climbing spot in the world, Oh and don’t forget to add – you actually have sponsors, its paid for, you have national and international news coverage, you have presidential attention, you are on site, base camp, and you choose to go down because you are “cold and wet”? Hello! I don’t think so! My cojones could be frozen to the tent’s groundsheet before I give up on an opportunity like that.

If it was a little nobody who had never been on a major climb I would expect that – but you are talking of 3 climbers who have proven them selves before and after this fiasco to be world class climbers – capable of getting on with Almost everybody…

If you don’t like being cold and wet… put more water in the bath…

Chalk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:31 am 
Yea, it is an opertunity of a life time. All sorted & paid for. They would have to carry my dead body off, to get me home before I reached the top. The guys that went home early did miss opertunity of a life time. Will they ever get it again? Maybe! Possibly not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:59 pm 
There were a few dead bodies that season, they didn't get home due to some bad decicions on the expedition leaders part. would you rather dead and stupid or alive and sensible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:05 am 

Hi,
Morning Edition on e.tv this morning ran a quiz on 'Who was the first South African to summit Everest'?

Shaun states on page 1 of this thread:
\"He (Ian Woodall) also lied about being of South African nationality prior to and during the 1996 expedition.\"

My question being - Is Ian Woodall a South African?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:19 am 

:?: Does it matter? This commercial big mountain crap always irks me.
Everest is always the same story: We spent x million getting there, I left three of my mates to die in the snow coz I was too wasted (unfit/selfish) to help them, I feel so alive now all my mates are dead, now please pay me more money for the book I wrote (only the seven thousandth book on the subject) so I can go again and get more people killed.

F-ing great!!! :? :(

And the SAmountaineering mag we wait three months for (and take twenty minutes to read) runs eight pages on this crap!

:idea: points to ponder:
-The amount of money spent on one expedition could send all of our upcoming sport climbers to compete in the world cup circuit for a few years running. Perhaps they could then come back and teach us how to climb stone properly, and we could all escape the prospect of an icy death far from home.
-The big mountains have all been 'conquered' already. Move on people!
-The highest climbing qualification most Everest wanabees have is a large chequebook.
-Several tons of trash are left on the mountain every year, so much for leave no trace!
-People die there evey year, and the mindset is so cold that the corpses they step over have nicknames. I think the oxygen deprivation has robbed them of basic human dignity.

Commercial mountaineering? what load of bigotted sh1t! :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:38 am 

Here here!
You can talk a lot of sh!t Greg :wink: but this one you've got spot on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:25 pm 

From what I remember in Krakauers book Woodall didn't have the visa hassles that lead to Deysel being sent home - so maybe he travelled on a pom passport and *may* have had dual citizenship.

Anyways my 2 cents worth:

Agree with Grigri.

I went to a climbing lecture of Cathy's when I was swotting at Rhodes - and she came across as being fairly ethical regards climbing. Her lecturer boyfriend asked her to marry him while she was at base camp, and she turned him down - obviously preserving warmth with Woodall. Meanwhile Jeremy Colenso was quietly doing his own thing and letting his climbing do the talking. I'll let you learned gentlemen read into that what you will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:44 pm 

Fully Scott!
I guess I'll never understand why people have to confront death to feel alive when simply celebrating life (ie doing fun stuff like bouldering, DWS, and sport climbing with your mates) is so much more effective!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:26 pm 

Everybody to their own though Greg,
I've the utmost respect for the guys pushing the limits of any sport, i.e. Jean Christophe Lafaille who recently died tragically. He was someone who knew the risks and therefore his death was not looked apon as a mistake by aanyone but himself and the conditions he found himself in. I have a problem with the wantabees that think that by paying money they can achieve their goals of summiting a famous mountain. I think mountains should be left to the mountaineers who have the expertess to climb them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:30 pm 

Sorry Stu, the previous post was actually me using your laptop, opps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:09 pm 

Ja...Grigri. You have it spot on regarding these big name trips. I can't bare reading about them. Soo boring!

In Cathy's defence re Hawkman: I have heard that she led sport to grade 29 while she was at Rhodes...which is very hard...I think Kevin Watkins or Mike Louw told me this. And she has various mountaineering achievments to her name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:01 pm 

Gotta agree, if you can run a marathon or Comrades then there's a good chance you could make it up Everest. Don't even get me started on all the crap it surrounding it... Yeah I agree, how many more books and opinions do we need on the subject. I got to the top (dragged there by my guide who I paid hundreds of thousands of rand to stand in the queue behind the 100 other people) now left me tell you my story along with everyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:38 pm 

I don't think Cathy ever climbed as hard as sport grade 29 - though she climbed at least until grade 25 and at the time she did that it was cutting edge for SA women. The first SA female to do climb 29 was probably either Shannon Law or Tessa Little - again, I think - anybody know for sure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:53 pm 

Yeah, you guys are right, each to their own style of climbing, and I do not wish to belittle the acheivements of those who are serious about their sport.

It would have been nice to see something more relevant to our local scene in the SA mag though. Yet another issue fully devoted to mountaineering style ascents. Had hoped to see those 8 pages devoted to an article on Rocklands to be honest. Lets see Justin Hawkins, Fred Nicole, Daniel Woods, Lisa Rands, Andy Raether, Sara Mavez, Dan Archambault (and probably more Im not aware of) all in one place at the same time. A bunch of new super desperate problems opened and no colour spread in the mag. TONY....Wassup bru? The rocklands season is the biggest international event on our local calendar proper recognition of this would be good!

regards first female 29; Tessa Little I think.

Last edited by Grigri on Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:45 am 

Hey Gri aren't we all a little guilty here... I would be just as interested in hearing of a local mission be it up Yellowwood, an epic on Table Mountain, a new bouldering area opened, etc. Speaking of which, where the heck is the bouldering in the mag? A lot of people are bouldering these days. You don't have to be climbing 8c to have a local relevent, interesting story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:20 pm 

Ian Woodall returns to Everest:

Click here for details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:59 am 

I'm confused...why would someone abandon a person on the mountain, because you can't do anything for them (why risk having two deaths instead of just one) and now risk three ( Ian woodall and two sherpa's) once the person is already dead..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:15 am 

I think the possible reasons are:

1) Feeling Guilty

2) Easy to get funds together when it is a \"good cause\"

3) Selling the story

4) Really good person who wants to risk his life to save others

Or maybe a combination of the above? you decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:58 pm 

Quote:
I'm confused...why would someone abandon a person on the mountain, because you can't do anything for them (why risk having two deaths instead of just one) and now risk three ( Ian woodall and two sherpa's) once the person is already dead..

I agree with Mark, guilt and money. That's why he and Cathy still run around the world making money doing talks and slide shows. It's become their job now. I disagree though that he's a good person. His actions in 96 clearly show otherwise. He acted dishonestly and selfishly, allowing an inexperienced member of his team, Bruce Herrod, to die through negligence.

His website, \"The Tao of Everest\" suggests that he is being spiritual, however, I believe otherwise. There are many bodies still on Everest [Around 200 have died on Everest] so his little 'quest' to cover a body or two is really for his own gain. IMO, he's a disgrace to all South Africans.

Post subject: What?
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:25 pm 

They aren't running around world together are they? I heard Cathy O' Dowd questioned Ian Woodall leadership in 96. It is not our business how Ian Woodall and Cathy make their money. They aren't breaking the law by giving slide shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:29 pm 

p!ss off Drifter. you know nothing.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:33 pm 

When members of the team were on their way down from the summit and they came across Bruce Herrod who wasn't in the right mind frame and was going to summit to late they should of forced him to come back down with them. This is hindsight now though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:41 pm 

duhhh! obviously man. that's the team leader's job. Nobody should be supporting Ian at all. Saintly my @ss. Drifter, get a life before you post further.