Quantcast
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Rocklands...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:10 am 
I just moved from Salt Lake City to the bouldering mecca of Western Colorado and I am going to be working in Johannesburg for three months from January to March. My oppurtunity is finding a way to visit Rocklands somewhere in that time and I found it on a Map (generally), but I don't know jack-shit about all the minutia around getting there, surviving and having a bouldering experience that is worthy of the pictures I've seen.

Anyone who would be willing to offer any advice would be soooooo helpful!!

Sincerly,

Eric Ming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:25 pm 
Bouldering mecca of Western Colorado - I seem to have missed that area... Unless that was sarcasm - in which case Joes is just down the road.

Rocklands info. Drive to Clanwilliam (despite the name, do not create images of the Scotish Highlands). Buy food - this is the last shop before Rocklands. Drive towards Calvinia for about 15km. Stop at the Kliphuis campground. Pay. Camping in SA is roughly 135 million times nicer than in the USA (warm showers, flush toilets etc). From the campsite you can walk to some of the boulders - for other areas you need to drive to the top of Pakhuis Pass (3km). You are pretty sure to find climbers in the campsite - even in January - March (our summer). Don't expect great friction at that time of year - you can equate it to Joe's from July to September (with fewer flies).

Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:08 pm 
I agree: do not think scotish highlands, but clanwilliam is a lovely little place to drink :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:27 am 
Those are good memories my friend and before our good pal discided to lock the gate at 8...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:02 am 
Incidentally I have it on good authority that Kobus was nearly fired for having his hands in the till. After his let off he decided to make off with the contractors PC at which point he was fired. Apparently a police case has been opened.

The farm houses over the road from the camp ground is where the guy administering the land now lives (Kobus was technically an employee of his). The guy's name is Pierre and he seemed a nice enough chap so hopefully your Kobus woes are over.

j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:04 pm 
What to say, what to say? Well I'm a not vindictive person by nature but I can say that I'm not sad to see him go...