Quantcast
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:17 pm 

Summer is around the corner and I am keen to pick up my slackline again. I have spoken to City Rock and they are happy for me to run slackline classes in their gym once a week (stoked!). I want to run it like a session or clinic where anyone of any ability can join us on the line/s. My goal is to introduce people to slacklining, and obviously to improve with everyone with the primary focus being on tricks.

There will be no additional cost to joining the class above the regular gate entry for bouldering, unless new costs are found necessary, such as maintenance. As the gym gets much traffic on some days (Tues and Thurs) I want it on a Monday. As summer evenings get longer I want to move the classes to a neighbouring park as it will allow us more freedom from the gym's traffic, but also time.

I want the classes to be small, perhaps 5 people per line max, I can set up about 6 lines of different webbings, lengths and tensions so once summer is in full swing we can really play! this will be great for people who know a little about slacklining to appreciate the difference between a crude biner system verses a pulleyed and ratcheted system on varying webbings. we can also go through classes of learning how to rig lines; long line tensioning and if anyone is interested highline rigging principals, although I would rather do this on location.

We are trying to have the classes start on the first Monday of September at 6pm in the gym. The class will end between 7:30 and 8pm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:26 pm 

Awesome! See you there :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:42 pm 

ok, i admit it, my classes havent started: i have spent the last 3 weeks on an inland work road trip and didn't want to only do a couple classes before disapearing for such a long time. but i am back! and for a while and as such am keen to get this ball rolling from this Monday coming.

With any luck i should be around for every monday until late December, then pick it up again in January.

please join me on Monday, don't worry i will be just as rusty as you! hopefully we will move ino a neighbouring park from November, but we can cross that bridge when we get there...

as it says above there will be no aditional costs to the classes other than accessing the bouldering area.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:26 pm 

A video to get you all psyched!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:11 am 

Hey June123!

looking forward to seeing you on Monday then!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:07 pm 

Hey Warren

I have really progressed with my slacklining. I am currently away in the US but will be back in Jan and psyked to join you on mondays! :thumleft:

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:45 am 

Are we still on for tonight?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:55 am 

absolutely! gear is in the car, I will try get thee around 5:30 to set up, hopefully be ready for 6pm.

I am a litttle open as to what line to put up, but as it is the first day it would be good to start with static moves, the basics, then progress from there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:21 am 

Great stuff, see you there!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:38 am 

Well I thought last night went well: we started by putting up a bigginer type 25mm line, then once we had warmed up a bit changed over to the trick line (Wakeline webbing). i thought the psyche would go around 8, but no i was mistaken and at 9pm when the gym closes we were kicked out. City Rock played great hosts and we managed not to get in any climbers ways.- A major fear i had

Next week I would like to go back to the gym, set two lines up at the same time so that we aren't queueing to take turns. also i noticed the begginers not liking the height of the line, and so I will bring my shorter A-frames from now on two. this combination means that we can set up two very different lines at the same time, which is good training. ultimately tho i think the best would be two have two sessions a night: first for beginners, then a later one for the more experienced. I have learnt that when you have a variety of skill levels at the same time only the less skilled improve.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:25 am 

I have been away for the summer, and plan to return to classes from 6 Feb(1st Monday of the month), however there are some requirements for the classes that i am growing cynical of the climbing communities ability to satisfy:

City Rock requires at least 2 people coming for each class as non- gym members. I don’t think that slackliners will be willing to do this, but am hoping to be mistaken. We would have to prove to the gym that the classes are feasible, and bring new members to the gym rather than simply offering the existing members more things to do for “free” in their contracts. Honestly I think it is fair to ask this of the class, but will people come?

There will be a minor clerical step in attending the classes for students in that at the door there will be a register for the class, as a way of following how many people attend the class.

So my question to everyone is should I continue offering the classes, and who will attend regularly for the classes?