Quantcast
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:21 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:54 pm 

hi

does anyone know where the small bouldering spot in Johannesburg near 14th Avenue is???

help would be highly apperiated

:thumright

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:38 pm 

Check the wiki, I suspect you're talking about Strubens?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:09 pm 

no its not the strubens climbs its a different place all the sacin website says its near 14 ave.

http://www.saclimb.co.za/cip_gauteng.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:20 pm 

Hmm Emile, there is actaully a small bit of cliff band bouldering just up the hill from the SANBS at the 14th Ave. offramp, problems estsablished by James Roberts and friends.

If I remember correctly the details are in Andrew Porter & Rory Lowter's book called Crags of Gauteng.

It's out of print, with a new version out soon (??). If you cant get hold of a copy, I'll get the exact directions/details from the book and post them here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:26 pm 

take 14th from cresta towards roodepoort, go under the highway, take a right into the parking lot for the old hyperama, go through the parking lot and up the hill, at the top, turn left onto the road, drive past the office park and take an immediate left after it (into the office park's driveway) and park on the open ground to your right. walk through the veld heading down the hill, you'll see the wall on your left. There are a few homeless guys living in the area, but I've never had a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:32 am 

@ Myself - awesome stuff thanks for the directions,do you know what grades the climbs are perhaps?

@ peirre.joubert - where can i find the book crags of guateng?? would be a nice tool to have one those days im wanna try new places!!

:thumright

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:53 am 

there's everything from 5 to about 7a+/7b. the blankish piece of rock on the far right hand side has the harder problems. If memory serves, the two that stand out are

- the underdog - in the middle of the blankish section, stand start with a small crimpy undercling at about waist height for your left and bad crimp/pinchy thing with your right, bounce your right hand up to small crimp and then left up to sightly better holds in the middle of the face, match and carry on climbing up to the big obvious horn at the top of the wall.

- ginger slut - sit start on the right of the blankish section, climb up and left to join the previous problem, the broken jug up and right of the start is off route.

and there are quite a few other good problems. enjoy!!!!!!