Summer snakes

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
supersmeda

Re: Summer snakes

Post by supersmeda » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:54 am

Went mountainbiking at Boschendal on Saturday and saw 2 snakes over the singletrack. One massive black/brown snake (1.3m) over the length of the track. Also heard someone cycled over a cobra at Jonkershoek on Saturday.
Be on the alert out there.

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:30 am

:( Poor cobra!
Happy climbing
Nic

Brussel

Post by Brussel » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:59 pm

my sister and I were chasing down the new trail Z at hoogekraal and both clipped a cobra lying in the trail...he was OK but mighty pissed off. Not seen anything in the mountains yet.

bad

Post by bad » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:55 am

Fellow climbers, it is well into snake season and just to make sure you very aware we saw 2 juvenile puffies at Lower Silvermine yesterday afternon. One regular marked, one with bright yellow markings in addition to the regular markings, actually beautiful creatures at a distance.
The first sighting was made by a climber who sat down and only realised a few minutes later that she was sitting over its. The second sighting a few minutes later was by the belayer on Lord of the Ring and this little yellow marked puffie might have recognized our yellow rope as his nest of siblings because he was making a beeline for it but unfortunately the belayer's bare feet were in the way. Lots of shrieks later but all remained calm and climber remained safe. All survived but be safe and vigilant out there
Another recent sighting was on a ledge high up on Missing In Action on Muizenberg Crag about 2-3 weeks back
You are only as good as your last piece

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:21 am

Bump
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

KieranKP

Post by KieranKP » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:27 am

ASI (African Snakebite Institute) has a pretty rad mobile app. Its free, you can learn more about it here: https://www.africansnakebiteinstitute.com/app
Its got some great info on snake profiles, snake identification, common species for different areas, first aid advice, numbers for medical and removal (relocation) assistance, etc. These guys did an awesome job with this!!

Josh78

Post by Josh78 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:52 am

We came across this beautiful snake yesterday afternoon at Silvermine Lower (on a tree on the right hand side as you pass through the Jailhouse). I'm no expert, but from the research I've done, it appears to be a male Boomslang. Apparently this snake has been sitting here for a few days at least. Perhaps this snake could be in hibernation as it is extremely docile. Could this be because it's wintertime?

The snake is high enough for it to be out of reach of a dog etc. Anyone who passes through there, please do so carefully.

Let's not disrupt this amazing creatures home please.

Cheers
Josh
Attachments
cf01dd90-deea-4bfd-bb6d-440f982c59ca.jpg
cf01dd90-deea-4bfd-bb6d-440f982c59ca.jpg (161.2 KiB) Viewed 915 times

Brussel

Post by Brussel » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:05 pm

male boomslang, correct.
he has been there for years.
I once had to clean some guys draws because the snake was in a rail and he was not going up at all. needless to say I climbed fast

Dragon

Post by Dragon » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:57 pm

I don’t know how old they get, but I have seen that guy -or more likely a member of his close family- there for nearly twenty years now. Likes to sun himself in the tops of the bigger bushes and trees esp, often on exactly the same branch. He is easy going and relaxed so just leave him be. The only time I saw him get startled was when a dog was trying to get at him and there was a whole commotion. Even then he just retreated.