It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:29 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:32 pm 

Hello everybody,
I'm Elvio, an italian rock climber and I like to do climbing trips around the world, mostly multipitch rock climbing.
I have a question for you ZA climbers: I'd like to organize a trip to South Africa this winter (Christmas time) but before I'd like to know if there are good places/routes to visit during the winter or it is simply the wrong season.
In the positive case what do you multipitch climbers recommend for 2 full weeks of crazy climb? Traditional, bolted, easy, difficult (well, not too much!)...everything goes!
Thank you very much and, maybe, see you soon :wink:

Elvio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:05 pm 

firstly South Africa has summer in Dec...secondly your best bet would going to Oudtshoorn...which has long single pitch limestone routes...ranging from 6c+ to 8c...so catch a flight to cape town and then bum a lift to oudtshoorn

good luck

p.s. google it

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:28 pm 

Ciao Elvio. Come stai?

Oudtshoorn รจ molto bello. Ma questi sono percorsi solo. Also, there is also not enough to keep you busy for a full two weeks. Some other suggestions to consider for multi-pitch trad climbing is Table Mountain in Cape Town and for multi-pitch sport I would consider Montagu (2.5 hours outside Cape Town). The Cederberg also has a whole range of climbing (bouldering, sport and trad - single & multi-pitch), but some areas might be considered too hot by some.

Cordiali saluti,
Margherita

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:47 am 

thanks for the hints, I'll google a little.

yeah I know it's summer time, my concern was about finding beautiful spots in good climbing conditions (not too hot). this said, a good climber always complains about poor conditions even if everything's perfect...
If you have other suggestions (names, links, ...) go for it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:10 am 

Nice as Oudshoorn is, if I was travelling from Europe and looking for multipitch climbs I wouldn't be heading there, especially in December as it will be very hot. (this may be what Margherita siad, my Italian is pretty poor!)

With bit of planning you can easily escape the heat, either by climbing early mornings and late evenings, getting up high, or climbing shady crags. And it's no hotter than climbing in Europe in midsummer (for a lot of the time!).

Paarl Rock has some bolted slabs and there are plenty of options in the Cedarberg;

Krakadouw
Tafelberg
Wolfberg Cracks

Fr a two week trip I would hire a car, spend a few days in Cape Town, climbing on TM and getting sorted for guidebooks, info etc. Drive up to Cedarberg via Paarl Rock for a day, climb in Cedarberg for a week or so, stop off in Montagu on thw ay back (bit of a detour) and finish off with a few days in Cape Town doing some routes before flying out.

You will soon realise 2 weeks is not enough!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:33 pm 

I'm from the USA and I'll be around and looking for climbing partners from the beginning of December until March
I'll be renting a car. Let me know if you want to climb together
Richard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:25 am 

Send me a PM when you guys are in Cape Town and need someone to climb with :thumleft:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:45 am 

i will be (mostly) free to climb during the first two weeks of december on both weekdays and weekends. drop me a pm if you are keen to hook up. i would be happy to show you guys around cape town and explore some good multi-pitch climbing in the area (table mountain etc.)

cheers
mok

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:32 pm 

It's still early days, but at the moment I'm planning to spend about 10 days in the Cederberg in January. Most probably camp at Nuwerus and move around daily from there. If anyone is keen to join at any time, please do. Send me a PM closer to the time to check dates.
Elvio, Nuwerus has some very nice multi-pitch trad lines. One of the lines has recently been bolted too. Check the wiki for details.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:39 pm 

thank you everybody for the answers, I'm looking at the wiki which is pretty good...
ciao!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:34 am 

looks great. :thumright