Quantcast
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:09 am 

Living in Durban has severely cramped my climbing especially with very few easily accessible crags suitable for taking small children.
Fortunately, I'm immigrating to the eastern Cape soon and will reside in Grahamstown, Are there any close climbing spots there that
I could take a 7 and a 3yr old with?

Although I was never a big fan of bouldering, I assume bouldering with kids is more doable than full on climbing due to adult supervision not being
tied up belaying, so is there any bouldering there to ease a fat and unfit parent into?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:32 am 

Hi Nic

Welcome to the EC

Both Howissin's Poort & Thornkloof(sport) have a flat-ish base & short walk-in. Check out

http://eas.mcsa.org.za/Rock%20Climbing/Rock_List.htm for the RDs.

There are boulders in GHT & Alicedale(40km from GHT) has a plenty of boulders. Some of those sectors would be kid friendly. I can give you a copy of Martin Renz's AD guide.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:54 am 

Many thanks!

I will stay in touch.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:21 pm 

there are some problems on the boulders in the monument grounds, next to the N2 as you approach gtown from PE. there is also some decent training on a small traverse crag in the bot gardens (follow the road, and look to your right above the cave). besides that, the bible monument, in the industria on the way to craddock offers a chilled place for easy climbing/messing around, although this is technically buildering..

the rhodes wall in mullins is open from 5pm weekdays, and they welcome all comers, dont know how they feeel about kids though.

hope this helps

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:23 am 

Howissens Port is very kid friendly and have already taken my kids out there twice, pity the easiest route at the bottom section is a 17 with real painful chains to get the rope through.

Thanks for all the advice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:34 am 

I would forward your complaint to the relevant department. But alas there is no department. The top anchor was kindly sponsored by a person, who also kindly fitted it...all for your pleasure!

Welcome to the EC...it's a jungle out there

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:05 am 

Marshall1 wrote:
The top anchor was kindly sponsored by a person, who also kindly fitted it...all for your pleasure!

True that.