Quantcast
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:56 pm 

Hi all,

Anybody out there interested in or willing to save a cat that has been stuck on the 13th floor of the Metropolitan Centre building in Braamfontein for 5 days.

All attempts at getting the relevant organisations involved has failed.

The outside of the building is a rough surface made up of stone and concrete (obviously how the cat managed to climb, and now unfortunately cannot climb down).

The windows open swivel and have boxlike frames creating ledges upon which the cat is lying.

Crows are now attacking it.

Please help .......... anybody!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

I am an animal lover and am freaked out that I cannot get to save the cat myself.

Ta
Anne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:04 pm 

BUMP

Guys, any rope access people on the forum today?
Help this animal in need.

If anyone reads this and knows someone in the area pls go and help. If this were your pet you'd want the same.

@ Anne: Pls leave a contact number on the forum in case you need to be contacted.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:25 pm 

People PLEASE....Get your backsides out to that building now!
Screw rope access I would just mission out there with my sport gear if I had half a chance :(
Come on dammit :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:05 am 

Thanks for the show of interest.

My contact no. 083 498 7091

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:43 am 

Is the cat still out there? Unlucky 13 I tell you ;)

Anne, have you tried the Fire Department?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:23 am 

I called Anne earlier and have been trying to see if anyone I know in Joburg can go and have a look.

This is a feral cat that was wandering in their building and got a fright, jumped out of the window and is now stuck.

They do not need a climber to catch the cat, they just need someone who can get a visual on where it is since they have a cat trap they need to place. Apparently they have called various rope access co's, window washing co's, the fire dept, SPCA etc and nobody wants to help. I guess it's up to some of the climbers to get out there and do what is right.

This little cat has been up there since Friday and is living off puddles of rainwater. Do thr right things guys, someone go and see how you can help out. Don't let an animal suffer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:56 pm 

The cat is ok-ish, as 9ja said no rope access is really needed, at least not now - if the cat is at all skittish it will be impossible catching it by hand. There is a cage setup with food but the cat is extremely reluctant and will maar have to get used to the idea of Anne & friends catching it. Probably in a day or two, dunno.

Anne is very grateful for all the responses she got from her post, so thanks on her behalf.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:32 pm 

So what's happened to the cat?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:24 pm 

Still on the ledge (or at least still was about an hour or so ago). Baited cages both sides now, it's a waiting game. The prospect of trying to corner the cat is just too risky I think. There's a recess on the ledge where it can sidestep the cage if it so desires, otherwise it might even just go lemming and make a jump for it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:12 pm 

just got word, the cat is safe and sound off the ledge.

More photos here:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:23 pm 

Wonderful news ........... cat was rescued.

We baited a humane cat trap with some yummy food and sometime during the night or early morning she went in to eat and VOILA was trapped. Our building manager hauled the precious cargo up and the window IMMEDIATELY closed.

Just wanna send out a MASSIVE thank you to all who showed an interest and made contact offering assistance, in particular the following:

Rob, Gerhard, Andreas and especially Emile who came all the way from Centurion, thanks man you made a gallant effort. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

The cat is currently at the vet, very dehydrated and just skin and bone. But she will recover.

Once again thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:30 pm 

Wonderful news for a Friday!

That's so good to hear. Emile, props to you man for the effort. Shows a lot of character and that you care. You helped to save a cool little critter's life. Awesome.

This would make such a great little feel good story for the News.

Good effort there Anne, hopefully the cat can be sterilised as soon as he's stronger. Feral cats make wonderful pets by the way. I have one that I rescued from a bin at my office. She took a long time to gain our trust and tame up, but she's a wonderful pet.

Cheers