Quantcast
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:36 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: East London Climbing
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:46 pm 

Hi guys
I´m origionaly from East London but have spent the last few years climbing in Cape Town, Kenya and am currently halfway through an 8 month South American climbing trip.
I want to know what the climbing scene in East London is looking like at the moment.
Upon my return to SA next year I am hoping to spend some time in East London trying to encourage a general interest in climbing and boosting the overall status of climbing in the area.
My ambitions are pure and for the general interest of climbing as a culture.

Thanx
Chris

Post subject: Re: East London Climbing
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:27 pm 

Hi Chris

There is a small scene. Not that many climbers, but they are active. Quite a few sport routes & lots of trad.

The RDs are posted on http://eas.mcsa.org.za/Rock%20Climbing/Rock_List.htm .

The NSA RD is a bit out of date & I'm planning to bolt a few more next weekend. Will post an update early next year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:42 pm 

Actuly next weekend is a bit of an intresting event in East London. Garvin(the EL local) is celebrating his 37th birthday with 37IAD. An event where he will attempt to climb 37(routes) In A Day. There are a bunch of us traveling from all over to support him on this quest, climb as many routes as we can & have a lot of fun. So if anyone is keen...make a mission to East London. All happening at NSA.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:47 pm 

Hi Derek

Thanks. I remember from a few years ago that the climbing community was small and hardly expected that to change (good old slummies)
What I really want to do is try boost the popularity of climbing in EL to ensure that it gets the credit it deserves. I am going to be spending a lot of time and effort contributing to this cause and will be happy to assist in bolting, crag spotting and any meets going on in the area. I will be splitting my time between EL and furthering my Mountain certifications etc in Cape Town.
The long term goal of developing youth teams etc has also been a meeningful hope bouncing through my brain.
If I can get the support of the EL climbing community I will in turn dedicate myself to these causes and any other interests of the community.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:06 pm 

Sutterheim probably has the best climbing I know of in the area...Rob Scott runs a backpacker lodge vibe there called The Shire Eco-Lodge...get in contact with him for all the climbing info :) awesome boulders, multi-pitch and trad routes in a stunning forest :)
Hope that helps
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:17 pm 

Thanx Nick
I think one of my first priorities when back in SA will be to do an Eastern Cape crag tour (maybe a few of you would like to join in?) and really get a complete idea of what is around.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:13 pm 

Thanks Derek for putting that out there for the world to see. If it doesn't stop raining soon We may have to go out there in wetsuits.

Chris we'll be happy to have some new enthusiastic blood around here. Maybe you can do a school tour with pics of your trip and that kinda thing. Turn some surfers into climbers.

Garvin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:31 am 

There are quite a few EC crags. Will take some time to get to all of them, but it would be fun.