Quantcast
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:37 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:59 pm 

Just a little tale from an experience I had with a local retailer (that sells climbing gear). I'd be interested in peoples thoughts.

So I went to the retailer ready to spend about R1500 on a couple of items. I get to the store and find out that price for the item is about R55 (per item...I was going to buy 2) more than advertised on their website. I questioned them and produced their website with the online price. I was then informed that that was online price only. I then mused that I would just go home and order it online. The store clerk then said that shipping would be R100 (and quipped "Ja, there is always a catch"....which I thought was a bit odd). So where does it get shipped from? "From this store", I was informed. I said I would come in an pick it up rather. "Nope! Mail only".

Needless to say I politely said I'd take my business elsewhere. I believe they are within their rights to charge a different price on their website as they do mention somewhere on the site that online prices may differ from in store (i.e. It's not considered bait and switch, which is against the CPA), but it still seemed odd and I certainly won't be shopping there unless I'm really forced to.

zb.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:18 am 

That's pretty silly thing to do. Not like the climbing community is huge enough to piss off customers for the R45 difference they make on the shipping (assuming your items weighed less than 2kg right?).

It's not MMO, and CityRock doesn't have prices on theur website... so who? Cape Town right?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:27 am 

pierre.joubert wrote:
so who? Cape Town right?

I did not put the supplier in, but I got a couple of PMs to the effect of "Was it us?", so I guess I'd best name and shame.

It was Camp and Climb.

zb.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:28 am 

Chasing specials/savings is not always worth the effort. Build a relationship with a retailer & expect service.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:09 am 

Marshall1 wrote:
Chasing specials/savings is not always worth the effort. Build a relationship with a retailer & expect service.

Not following you entirely here. Please elaborate.

zb.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:06 pm 

Hi zb,

Apologies for the bad experience, there seems to have been a clear miscommunication / misunderstanding

PM sent

Kind Regards

Mario

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:59 pm 

ZB:

So...

The store offers a discount that favours and thereby promotes bulk buying from their online store.

You find this "odd" so you decide to publicly "shame" the outfit.

This comes across as odd to me.

Or perhaps I misunderstand your complaint and it's just that clerk seemed impolite.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:59 pm 

Keith wrote:
The store offers a discount that favours and thereby promotes bulk buying from their online store.

I don't think that is fair analysis of the situation.

1. It's not the norm to have different prices online vs in store. I'm not saying they can't but its certainly the exception compared to most online retailers.
2. There is no incentive to buy online as the shipping eats into any saving.
3. On the assumption that they pay for shipping why should I have to pay for shipping if they ship from the location of the store and I'm willing to collect. They aren't increasing their profit margin and if they are its marginal at best.

Lets assume their margin is 10%. The part I find odd is that you'd rather make R0 instead of R100 because you couldn't get the R150 profit you wanted. That just doesn't make sense and I think most logical people would question it.....so to that end I don't think I'm being odd by questioning it. I think most people would assume that the online price would be same as in store and would have the same reaction to my experience.

Keith wrote:
You find this "odd" so you decide to publicly "shame" the outfit.

You shouldn't read too much into it Keith, I used the "name and shame" quote in light of it being so liberally used on this forum (do a search). Next time I'll use "name and inform".

zb.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:25 am 

if you run your business on a proper costing basis online sales will be cheaper than in store (it attracts less overheads). may be unconventional but it does actually make business sense.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:32 am 

assuming superm represents the retailer, I think we saw a public apology (and a promise to pm and resolve the issue).
no reason to labour the point.
be nice to our retailers, there is a mutual dependency.

peace, love and happiness :afro:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:58 am 

Agree with franz,

I've had nothing but good service from C&C.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:59 am 

Marshall1 wrote:

I agree