Quantcast
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:15 am 

Hi there all

I have just moved back to SA after 3 year stint in Belgium where i fell in love with climbing and bouldering all over Europe but coming back i would appreciate climbing buddies to show me the ropes here.. I will be in Lesotho for the coming 2 weeks and try and climb there, but when i get back i would really love to surround myself with fellow climbers and climb as often as possible, currently only know the indoor hall in observatory, and i have been to visit rocklands last year, but any info on in and around ct/sa etc would be great

thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:57 am 

Hey Mr. Belgium (a name would be good :) )
Well, if you gonna be in the Cape you defo won't be short of people to climb with. City Rock is a good place to start meeting people but most of the outdoors crew dont climb there very often....you should also check out the cutloose bouldering website (http://www.cutloose.co.za/2011_12_01_archive.html ).....there are regular updates on whats happening in the climbing world as well as a bunch of pdf topos for the areas. For sport climbing you should get a copy of the guide book from city rock :) if I was in CT I would take you out somewhere but alas am in George....the crew in CT is pretty chilled and always keen to take people out so am sure you shouldnt have any troubles..
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:50 am 

If you are going to Katsi Dam there are some bolted routes around there. if you are heading to Malitsinyana Falls there is some trad round there too.

Every large SA city has a climbing crowd, some larger than others. could you be more spacific about where you will be moving so that you don't get invites from random parts of the country

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:47 am 

Hi there

Thank you for the speedy reply, and my name is Thato (Ms) I am living in cape town, but willing to travel all over in SA (time permitting of course) But alright i will start at city rock and take it from there.
Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:44 am 

Hiya! Drop me a private message and you are welcome to join my crew. We climb Wednesday night, Saturday and Sunday... rock only. I mostly boulder, but my boyfriend is an avid sport climber and my trad rack is sitting gathering dust and I keep thinking I will put it back to use soon. If you are in town already, we head to Montagu tonight and can probably squeeze one more person in the car....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:59 pm 

Dropping by Cape Town later this year. I look forward to discovering all the areas around there. Very happy for the tips! :)

Last edited by PinkHills on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:02 pm 

Hi, my boyfriend and I moved from SA to Belgium 3 months ago. Can you recommend some climbing gyms here? We are members of Hungaria in Leuven, but it would be fun to go to other gyms during the weekends. The weather is so crap here, it is not possible to climb outside in wintertime :-( and I miss Watervalboven. I hope you get lost of climbing buddies in SA.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:18 am 

Hey Ansie.
Hungaria is the gym I go to when in Belgium. There is another smaller one in Leuven at the sport centre, but I couldn't direct you, cause I'm usually with locals. I'll see if I can get a friend to pass on some info on gyms and climbers.

Garvin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:02 pm 

Hi Ansie,

There is another climbing gym in Leuven, de Sportoase, in a sport centre at the Phillipssite (http://www.sportoase.be/philipsweb/inde ... &Itemid=31) and it seems like there is one at a high school also (don't know about that one or if it's accessible to everyone) (http://www.khleuven.be/Studentenservice ... r-en-sport).
We used to go to climbing gyms in other cities close by, distances in Belgium are nothing compared to SA). Don't know if you have transport, but public transport should still be okay.
City Rock in Mechelen (24 km) (can't find any info, so don't know if it still exists), Olympia in Hasselt (45 km), NRG in Lier (30 km) and there are some in Brussels, but never been there. This is a website with info and addresses and phone numbers (http://www.indoorclimbing.com/belgium.html and http://www.belclimb.net/section_home.as ... bing&id=11).
You could also ask at Hungaria, they should know and be able to give you info.
Hope this helps.
We'll be in Europe from mid May until mid June and are planning to go to Spain to climb (probably with Martin Renz, who lives in Germany now, but is moving to Switzerland). My parents live 15 km from Leuven. Maybe see you then.

Mia (Garvin's wife)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:24 pm 

@ Mia and Garvin, awesome, thanks for the info

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:39 pm 

hi there :)

so, my favorite climbing halls are klimax in puurs, stone age in brussels (by ultimate one), also there is bouldering in Gent called Bleauklimzaal, and another in saint niklaas called city lizzard. I hope these options keep you busy, the two are lead climbing halls and other bouldering halls, i combined both, and was not such a huge fan of hungaria, but i hope you enjoy the above.

and yes, in winter impossible to be outside on rock, but...i usually go to fontein bleau, its a drive out to france but its a boulder paradise and has better weather, especially because friction caused by cold is good for bouldering. otherwise, also have Yoir, Frere, dynant or berdof in luxemburg, but weather is usually a barrier. But if you can make time then just hop off to france like in orpierre or le calangues. there are options!

As much as i am loving being back, im trying to get back to cold belgium so maybe our paths will cross

all the best