It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:23 pm 

FYI

I parked just before the lower cable station on Tafelberg Rd this morning around 6:45am. About ten other cars already there and 4 or so taxi's, but still within sight of the cable station. Plenty of the proverbial broad day-light. When I returned to my car around 10:30am I found my car had had some unwelcome intruders. :evil:

Now the guys at the Visitors Centre did not display much interest, but chatting to one of the car guards, he said that recently there have been problems outside of the hours which they work (which seems to be approx those of the cable car, but not fixed). Furthermore, they have had attempted break-ins even when they are on duty - and during the tourist season there is seldom a shortage of people around up there.

I don't ever leave anything in the car except some tools (as you kinda want these on hand if you have car trouble). Suffice to say these are gone. Which is a double whammy as they now have more screw drivers to totally bugger locks up with. :thumbdown

Not sure if anything much new can be learned from this, but just putting it out there. Certainly do not leave bags of climbing toys in your boot, even if you think the area is 'safe'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:28 pm 

what a bummer! sorry to hear about it. don't let these guys steal your passion & fun as well :thumright

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:01 pm 

Eish, Richard!
I always considered my scratched old vehicle safe, but if they break into yours even, that's desperate ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:24 pm 

Q20 wrote:
Not sure if anything much new can be learned from this, but just putting it out there.

Hey Richard, sorry to hear about this. Thanks for letting us knwo, it's definitely good to report these incidents so we can keep stats and also a good reminder for others not leave anything in their car.

I have sent your and Lions Head break-in reports to Table Mountain Watch Group for publishing.