Quantcast
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:54 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:45 am 

On a serious note, I saw a young climber with a wire brush the other day, not to clean a new route but in his chalk-bag instead of a toothbrush. On the same weekend I saw the letters IP scratched into the rock at the base of a climb. Please please NEVER us a wire brush, they destroy our rock. And please please never scratch names whatever into the rock face, if you need to write IP, use chalk.

Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:21 am 

Ha ha that's priceless andrew. So drilling into the rock and inserting steel does less damage?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:34 am 

Perhaps from a practical aspect drilling does cause damage, but that damage is done in a controlled manner for a specific purpose that cannot be done by other means. When someone scratches IP 50cm x 40cm in the rock at the base of the climb, that is graffiti. The little picture of a house scratched in next to the IP is also that big.

Wire brushes damage the rock and the holds. If your toothbrush isn't sufficient, some water helps. NOTE: don't pour water onto holds and then expect to be able to climb the route in the next few minutes or possibly hours. If you're going to do this, ensure no one else is planning on climbing right after you. Rubbing alcohol also can help to break down chalk build up, but same thing applies to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:42 am 

oubaas wrote:
Ha ha that's priceless andrew. So drilling into the rock and inserting steel does less damage?

Troll. Back under your rock, there you go.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:53 am 

proze wrote:
Troll. Back under your rock, there you go.

Correction - Trolls live under bridges, in caves etc. They're quite large and often battle to fit beneath rocks..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:13 am 

Jaaaa the atitudes I see will keep us away from Redhill and Blackhill for a loooooooooong time. We need to take ownership of our actions or else SANPARKS will give us more stick even though we mean well. So boulder with responsibilty.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:21 am 

Att. Climbing Gym Owners:
Please help educate the young emerging climbers on issues like these. Your notice board can be a powerful tool!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:28 am 

Franz wrote:
Please help educate the young emerging climbers on issues like these. Your notice board can be a powerful tool!

I agree Frans. I would like to suggest that in the toproping course which I have done the other day bouldering, climbing and bouldering,climbing ethics must be discussed. Most people just slap on shoes and a chalk bag and then go out there without thinking or KNOWING these things.

Then again the senior guys must also take ownership if they see something wrong in the field and tell someone what they are doing is potentially dangerous or un-ethical

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:43 am 

The only way Trolls end up under rocks is if another troll throws one at them or if you ambush them from above.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:15 pm 

Re. the "other bad habits" of this thread, what's the deal with chopping down trees at the crags? I get the impression that some of the stronger climbers in Boven have incorporated saws into their sport climbing racks and are using them as an alternative way of warming up. For sure, if branches are in the way of climbing they should be cut or trimmed, but to cut whole trees down, even if they are dead, can't be justified unless they pose imminent danger.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:55 pm 

dannypinkas wrote:
Re. the "other bad habits" of this thread, what's the deal with chopping down trees at the crags? I get the impression that some of the stronger climbers in Boven have incorporated saws into their sport climbing racks and are using them as an alternative way of warming up. For sure, if branches are in the way of climbing they should be cut or trimmed, but to cut whole trees down, even if they are dead, can't be justified unless they pose imminent danger.

:?

But it's dead?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:16 pm 

Hey Stu, a dead tree is as much part of an ecosystem as a live one. I would support cutting down trees if they are invader species though, but this still needs to be done in a controlled manner otherwise we end up with erosion (which is arguably worse).

As a general response to the whole thread:
Maybe we can encourage people to follow a rule of: when you make a permanent change (ie having an effect for +12months) then first ask permission. TO apply this rule: I am at Tranquilitas grag and need to take a dump:
i. Ask (answer is avilable in the route guide)
ii. I follow instructions by taking my dump away from the footpaths, burying it, etc.

Indiscriminate wire brushing, illegal bolting, and excrement in a footpath and destroying/removal of fauna&flora without permission result in similar emotional trauma for those who decide how welcome climbers as a community are in an area, and if found guilty you may face jail time and/or stiff fines (see NEMA - National Environmental Management Act).

It is yours to do with (within legal limits) if you hold a title deed. If not, ask permission. Respect the decision if the request is declined, and challenge the decision along the porper channels if you feel like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:20 pm 

Danny I think you are referring to my tree-cutting..I think I am the only one who has done any? The big dead one at Superbowl...I fell onto it while attempting the project through the roof, so yes it was dangerous. I have cut other trees/branches that have not posed a danger but make a huge difference in terms of visibility of the climbs but a tiny difference in the amount of trees beneath the crags, the lines you enjoy like Monster, Godzilla, Space Cadet, they all had heavy trimmage. Are you in Boven again, I am looking for people to put something back by helping with rebolting of old climbs, one by one, I can give you bolts and chains for Endless October and even lend you a drill. Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:34 pm 

If it is a dead tree, does cutting it down make it decompose faster/slower/take it out of the ecosystem? Or are you just moving it a bit?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:52 pm 

Dead trees or not guys leave footprints and chalk marks!!!!
and if you climb in SANPARK the following applies: No alterations may be made to the natural area and nothing may be removed that includes stones, sand dead trees anything that was there before you arrived (That is legislated by the National Legislation). You can however remove plastic, cigarette buts and anything that was added. Yes even the dump you took. If you realy need to go, IF you really need to go, go to the nearest longdrop or dig a deep hole with a shovel and cover it up, because I do not want to stand in crap if I boulder and want a nice day out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:29 pm 

Ok, so the dead tree was there, and when I leave, its still there. No problem, by your logic. Superbowl is not SANParks, owned privately. Bolting is approved.

Last edited by pierre.joubert on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:35 pm 

So I don't think i've ever seen the the results of wire-brushing and I'm wondering what exactly does it do to the rock (score it badly or something?)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:54 pm 

Pierre, I am not commenting on your situation per say and I think than Franz's answer would shed more light in terms of erosion control ect. Just in terms of SANPARKS I am giving a heads up and we need to be at our best behaviour with the whole redhill scenario. This means in the rest of the park where we are still allowed.

Wire brushing wil in time if done enough time break down the fine particles on the rock surfaces and therefore make it brittle. specifically sand stone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:05 pm 

Hey Andrew

I wasn't sure who amont the Gauteng group did the deed. For sure there were branches that needed to be chopped - I saw Dewald falling into that tree a couple of years ago and don't know why he didn't do it then. However, I really don't feel it was necessary to cut down that particular tree at its base - selective sawing would have done.
Regarding the drilling I'd be more than happy to help - will send you an e mail.

D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:55 pm 

Franz wrote:
Hey Stu, a dead tree is as much part of an ecosystem as a live one. I would support cutting down trees if they are invader species though, but this still needs to be done in a controlled manner otherwise we end up with erosion (which is arguably worse).

As a general response to the whole thread:
Maybe we can encourage people to follow a rule of: when you make a permanent change (ie having an effect for +12months) then first ask permission. TO apply this rule: I am at Tranquilitas grag and need to take a dump:
i. Ask (answer is avilable in the route guide)
ii. I follow instructions by taking my dump away from the footpaths, burying it, etc.

Indiscriminate wire brushing, illegal bolting, and excrement in a footpath and destroying/removal of fauna&flora without permission result in similar emotional trauma for those who decide how welcome climbers as a community are in an area, and if found guilty you may face jail time and/or stiff fines (see NEMA - National Environmental Management Act).

It is yours to do with (within legal limits) if you hold a title deed. If not, ask permission. Respect the decision if the request is declined, and challenge the decision along the porper channels if you feel like it.

Well before we can debate this, we really need to define just what constitutes a tree :)

Here's the thing though. Humans inevitably have an impact on the environment; pathways to the crag, unsightly chalk marks, bolts, car parks, etc.

Chopping down a (dead) tree at a crag that is frequently used by climbers is no different than the trees that were chopped down in the process of building the fortress on top of TM, or building a road on Lions Head.

Humans enjoy the outdoors and we create dedicated areas (like crags) for that purpose. It's a balance; by your thinking, quite possibly no crags anywhere would be accessible, as we need to remove fynbos, trees, etc. to access the cliffs that we all so enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:07 pm 

@Stu,

Whenever humans access an area we change it. Agreed. I do however think that all of us need to be aware of this fact and minimise our impact as far as possible (and make changes with permission to avoid angering the gods). My previous comment was not aimed at anyone, no need to be taken personally (except by those who feel they are guilty :shock: ) hehe.

True, boven is not Sanparks. Plenty of it is MCSA however, and if ignorant bafoons anger them, then people like me will have to join the MCSA and/or get a permit to get access. :mrgreen: Personally I like the lack of red tape at Boven.

Nature is not limited to Sanparks areas. The boundaries of eco-systems are not defined by the boundaries of Sanparks property.

So in conclusion: Lets just be responsible whenever we enter nature.

btw, trees are those pesky things that's (mostly) green on top in summer, have impressive root systems, and that can hurt climbers when they fall in them. :jocolor: They also burn well when dead and dry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:05 pm 

I love nature as much as the next guy; just sayin' that sometimes removing some of it is unavoidable.
Indiscriminate removal is of course a big no-no.

So any thoughts on the destruction of the extensive Cecilia forests :wink:
(rhetorical question :))

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:17 pm 

Attachment:
The bomb.JPG
The bomb.JPG [ 58.79 KiB | Viewed 2527 times ]
Rules, rules, rules...

Your rules are encouraging me to buy another box of vile satanic brushes.

They are in the Kennedy catalogue of any reputable tool shop.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:20 pm 

Just to clarify, the dead tree in question was similar (though much bigger) to the one in this link / below, as opposed to a tree that has fallen down and is decomposing http://www.climbing.co.za/gallery2/displayimage.php?album=17&pos=157

Ironically, the tree in this picture has also suffered at the hands of climbers.

All I'm saying is that I don't think there was a need to cut the tree at its base. Dewald's project may or may not be doable, but Superbowl will forever look a lot bearer without that tree.

Attachments:
File comment: Dead Tree
Greg_Karfoefeling_3.jpg
Greg_Karfoefeling_3.jpg [ 30.88 KiB | Viewed 2495 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:12 pm 

dannypinkas wrote:
Just to clarify, the dead tree in question was similar (though much bigger) to the one in this link, as opposed to a tree that has fallen down and is decomposing http://www.climbing.co.za/gallery2/displayimage.php?album=17&pos=157

Ironically, the tree in this picture has also suffered at the hands of climbers.

All I'm saying is that I don't think there was a need to cut the tree at its base. Dewald's project may or may not be doable, but Superbowl will forever look a lot bearer without that tree.

Take some guts to cut that one down; certainly don't know if I would've put saw to tree....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:18 am 

Surely safety concerns trump a trees right to life?
The president was set in Peers Cave when the climb “talking to the trees” had its tree cut down.
(originally named because if you fell on the climb you had a good chance of becoming a human kebab.)
It is safe to climb now
Unless it is a 400 year old yellow wood, I do not see the big deal.
Perhaps go and plant another tree in a less dangerous position.

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:40 am 

replacing trees chopped down sounds like a great idea!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:32 pm 

Franz wrote:

This appears on a lot of the noticeboards at UK Climbing Walls. Sadly it's not always noticed!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:37 pm 

What happened to just tying a tat to the first bolt of a route that's "in progress"?

About the trees... remember they were there first... should they not have "right of way"?
Great idea to make up for the damage caused by planting another one - even if a significant branch is cut off it would be good karma to plant a new tree to try to counter the damage.