Quantcast
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:27 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:51 am 

Ok, this is a bit of a rant. Please be warned. We arrived at 18h05 a couple of days ago, wanting a quick swim in the dam. They wouldn't let us in so the drive was wasted.

I am really sick of Silvermine's nonsense. It's summer. The sun is up early and sets really late. Why is it necessary to keep the park closed before 07h00 and prevent entry after 18h00, requiring people to be out by 19h00?

Surely it wouldn't cost that much to hire one of SA's many, many unemployed people to man the booms and open up for visitors leaving after 19h00?

I know that crime is an issue in the Table Mountain National Park but, since Silvermine is accessible on foot, I doubt that restricting car entries is an effective preventative measure. I have also only seen rangers either driving around at closing time, chasing people out the park, or sitting on the benches outside the bogs, doing not very much at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:32 am 

I agree that it is crazy to close at 7pm during summer when the sun only sets way after 8pm.

I guess that the extra income they would generate is less then the cost to keep it open later.

Solution: Sneak in on foot. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:32 pm 

I suppose I have a problem with the "business" mentality. I am sure they won't make a killing, keeping it open. I am also dead sure they could afford it without too much difficulty.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:59 pm 

I got a R500 fine for leaving Silvermine at 18:35 last week. I was working a project and had to get to the top to get my gear down which took longer than expected.

I kind of understand wanting to close the park to cars at Sundown - having people in the park in the dark may cause issues - at least if you go in the dark you know the risks, the problem is for random visitor X. That said sundown is after 8 at the moment. The difference? Rangers need to go home to their families - I kind of understand this too. Tricky one.